7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-15-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water Separator Draining

Hey Everyone, New to the site and was looking for some help. I recently tried to drain my water separator to change out the fuel filter on my 2017 F 250. I turned the valve and let it start to drain. About 10 minutes later it was still draining and I had filled about 4 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket. I disconnected the recommended fuel line connect but that didn't seem to help. Any idea why it is doing this? Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-16-2019, 02:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
From now on, make sure your truck is below 1/4 tank of fuel before you do the filter swap. That prevents excessive fuel draining from my experience.

We cannot live on .45 ACP alone. There's .22, .223, 5.56, 9mm, .380, 7.62, 10mm, I could go on....

2017 F250 6.7L CCSB Lariat Ultimate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk388 For This Useful Post:
Cjohnsen16 (06-16-2019)
post #3 of 23 Old 06-16-2019, 04:44 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,044 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^Good advice.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
My 19 manual says that approx 1/2 gallon will come out and does not say anything about removing any lines at the tank.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-16-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for the information. I will definitely try this and let the forum know the results.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk388 View Post
From now on, make sure your truck is below 1/4 tank of fuel before you do the filter swap. That prevents excessive fuel draining from my experience.
This is exactly what I have to do for my 17. Had the same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84flatbed View Post
My 19 manual says that approx 1/2 gallon will come out and does not say anything about removing any lines at the tank.
It’s a 17 only thing for some reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coops361 For This Useful Post:
Cjohnsen16 (06-16-2019)
post #7 of 23 Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,044 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are no lines to remove to drain the separator on the '17. You do need to remove the sensor connection to remove/change the filter though.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #8 of 23 Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have never paid attention to my fuel level before changing water separator. Just drain and take apart. I have a 17 and no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 23 Old 06-20-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjohnsen16 View Post
Hey Everyone, New to the site and was looking for some help. I recently tried to drain my water separator to change out the fuel filter on my 2017 F 250. I turned the valve and let it start to drain. About 10 minutes later it was still draining and I had filled about 4 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket. I disconnected the recommended fuel line connect but that didn't seem to help. Any idea why it is doing this? Any help is appreciated. Thank you
You actually have 2 fuel filters that are supposed to be changed every 20,000 miles (according to the local Ford dealers service dept).

Even though I know how to change them on my truck I take it to the dealer and let them deal with the hassles of changing them, re pressurizing the fuel system afterwards and the inevitable headaches that arise from the procedure. I'd rather sit in the customer lounge while they get dirty doing the work, the only maintenance items I do myself are changing the oil (16 qts) and oil filters (yes, it's not a typo, my truck has a dual oil filter system mounted on the frame, 1 gets changed every 10,000 miles and both get changed every 20,000 miles) one filter is "a full flow" filter and holds 1Qt, the 2nd filter is a "bypass filter" (5% of the oil goes into this filter and is returned to the engine) it holds 1 1/2 Qts of oil, and the hoses connecting the filter housing to the oil filter inlet on the engine hold around 1/2 a Qt of oil, I also remove and clean the K&N air filter every 100,000 miles IAW their maintenance schedule.

I don't drain the entire oil system when I replace the full flow filter, I take an oil sample and send it off for analysis, if it tells me that the oil is good for continued service I just top off the system, when the analysis report comes back telling me that the oil is not good for continued use I drain the system, replace both filters and refill with new oil.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning546 View Post
You actually have 2 fuel filters that are supposed to be changed every 20,000 miles (according to the local Ford dealers service dept).

Even though I know how to change them on my truck I take it to the dealer and let them deal with the hassles of changing them, re pressurizing the fuel system afterwards and the inevitable headaches that arise from the procedure. I'd rather sit in the customer lounge while they get dirty doing the work, the only maintenance items I do myself are changing the oil (16 qts) and oil filters (yes, it's not a typo, my truck has a dual oil filter system mounted on the frame, 1 gets changed every 10,000 miles and both get changed every 20,000 miles) one filter is "a full flow" filter and holds 1Qt, the 2nd filter is a "bypass filter" (5% of the oil goes into this filter and is returned to the engine) it holds 1 1/2 Qts of oil, and the hoses connecting the filter housing to the oil filter inlet on the engine hold around 1/2 a Qt of oil, I also remove and clean the K&N air filter every 100,000 miles IAW their maintenance schedule.

I don't drain the entire oil system when I replace the full flow filter, I take an oil sample and send it off for analysis, if it tells me that the oil is good for continued service I just top off the system, when the analysis report comes back telling me that the oil is not good for continued use I drain the system, replace both filters and refill with new oil.
You go to all that work for the engine oil and you don't want to change two of the easiest fuel filters on the face of the earth? I don't understand your reasoning here, but then again maybe I don't need to .
acjet88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode