LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cross Country RV trip Maintenance

Hey all,

Here in about two months, my wife and I will be putting our new 350 to work. We are headed on a 3-4 week cross country RV trip towing our 31 foot travel trailer. It isn't too heavy (7000lbs), but I want to make sure I'm not missing something on my pre-trip maintenance.

We are planning for the trip to be around 10-12000 miles. Our truck has about 35K on it now and will probably have around 40K when we leave. I'm planning on doing the following prior to hitching up and heading out.

-Top of fluids (diesel, DEF, windshield wiper fluid etc)
-Change all filters (Both fuels, air, cabin)
-Change Oil (5w-40 Rotella t6 and motocraft filter)
-Rotate and check pressures on tires

This is our longest trip with a trailer and first real road trip with a diesel, just want to make sure I'm getting the truck ready so the trip is smooth sailing. I will also be changing the oil once I get up to my home town in Maine. (About 5K into it or so)

Any advice is welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Don’t forget to grease the bearings on your trailer axles. 👍
post #3 of 13 Old 06-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Donít change the oil unless you need to. A 10,000+ mile trip towing a RV is going to require an oil change along the way anyhow. Might as well get as many miles as you can out of the oil thatís already in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
Don’t forget to grease the bearings on your trailer axles. 👍
That’s in my trailer prep list but thanks! I’m also upgrading the equalizer and bolts to wet bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
Don’t change the oil unless you need to. A 10,000+ mile trip towing a RV is going to require an oil change along the way anyhow. Might as well get as many miles as you can out of the oil that’s already in it.
It was changed at 32k so it’ll be due, only reason I’m planning on changing it. Trust me I’m not trying to do a 100 dollar oil change for fun haha
post #5 of 13 Old 06-09-2019, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Make sure you check the antenna prior to leaving campgrounds. I see a lot of people that forget to lower it prior to leaving camp.

Last edited by Ynotturbo; 06-09-2019 at 04:43 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops361 View Post
Hey all,

Here in about two months, my wife and I will be putting our new 350 to work. We are headed on a 3-4 week cross country RV trip towing our 31 foot travel trailer. It isn't too heavy (7000lbs), but I want to make sure I'm not missing something on my pre-trip maintenance.

We are planning for the trip to be around 10-12000 miles. Our truck has about 35K on it now and will probably have around 40K when we leave. I'm planning on doing the following prior to hitching up and heading out.

-Top of fluids (diesel, DEF, windshield wiper fluid etc)
-Change all filters (Both fuels, air, cabin)
-Change Oil (5w-40 Rotella t6 and motocraft filter)
-Rotate and check pressures on tires

This is our longest trip with a trailer and first real road trip with a diesel, just want to make sure I'm getting the truck ready so the trip is smooth sailing. I will also be changing the oil once I get up to my home town in Maine. (About 5K into it or so)

Any advice is welcomed!
I don't foresee having any issues with the truck. Just make sure your wheel bearings are freshly repacked. another bit of advice: don't over load the TT, make sure the rubber is good, and the tries are properly inflated, and travel within the speed limitations of the TT tires. Overloaded and underinflated=blowouts.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
On long RV trips I like to bring along some emergency kits for both the truck and the RV.

Truck:
1) Basic tools (hammer, metric sockets, gorilla tape, screw drivers, vice grips, pliers)
2) An extra quart or 2 of engine oil and even a quart of transmission oil
3) A 5 gallon Jerry can w/diesel - - you just never know when you get stuck in a traffic jam, a stretch w/o stations, etc
4) Heavy duty ratchet straps

Camper:
1) Gorilla Tape
2) EPDM Patches for the roof
3) At least 1 but preferably 2 spare tires
4) Tools from the truck list

We RV a lot....and these items have come in handy more than I can say. On the way home from a trip Memorial Day weekend we were alerted by a passerby that something was wrong on our roof. Pulled over and sure enough the forward part of the roof in front of the A/C shredded and was flapping around. Had to do a "field repair" using the awesome Gorilla Tape to get us home where I had to use Dicor 12" strips to repair the damage. It happens....so glad I was prepared.

Not sure if you have a tire pressure monitoring system on the RV but I find that to be of great peace of mind. Prior to upgrading our tires to Load Range E Goodyears, our China bombs blew out CONSTANTLY. The monitoring system helped to minimize damage while providing us an early detection (e.g. tire temps rising, cross axle pressure changes, etc). To me it's a worthwhile investment for hauling.

Enjoy the journey. I look forward to cross country trips one day in my future.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
On long RV trips I like to bring along some emergency kits for both the truck and the RV.

Truck:
1) Basic tools (hammer, metric sockets, gorilla tape, screw drivers, vice grips, pliers)
3) A 5 gallon Jerry can w/diesel - - you just never know when you get stuck in a traffic jam, a stretch w/o stations, etc

Camper:
1) Gorilla Tape

We RV a lot....and these items have come in handy more than I can say. On the way home from a trip Memorial Day weekend we were alerted by a passerby that something was wrong on our roof. Pulled over and sure enough the forward part of the roof in front of the A/C shredded and was flapping around. Had to do a "field repair" using the awesome Gorilla Tape to get us home where I had to use Dicor 12" strips to repair the damage. It happens....so glad I was prepared.

Not sure if you have a tire pressure monitoring system on the RV but I find that to be of great peace of mind. Prior to upgrading our tires to Load Range E Goodyears, our China bombs blew out CONSTANTLY. The monitoring system helped to minimize damage while providing us an early detection (e.g. tire temps rising, cross axle pressure changes, etc). To me it's a worthwhile investment for hauling.

I use the EZ tire monitoring system. I also up graded to the Sailun S637 tire H rated. Great reviews and I totally love the tire. When the camper isn't in use the tires are covered, and I spray the 301 UV on them
jd4010 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 02:30 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
A trip like that I’d carry at least 1 carton of DEF. seems I fill the DEF tank (2 cartons) every oil change. When the light comes on, it’s nerve grinding wondering when to get a chance to fill it.

I hate when any warning message pops up.

Went to Yuma and back last year to visit friends,1500 miles and had to fill DEF once completely in Hawthorne NV. I’ve used truck stop DEF a few times at the pump while on other trips.
jd4010 likes this.

2017 F250 CrewCab Short, leveled with 35/12.5/20 Toyo MT. Fuel 20x10

TOTALED: 2010 F-350 6.4 Crew-Short, Sinister Deletes, Coolant Filter. SCT with Tunes. CTS2 monitor, Mishi Rad, CFS Intercooler. Cold Side pipe, Down Pipe. 2.5 level, 295/65/20 Kenwood 9900 Apple Car Play
post #10 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynotturbo View Post
Make sure you check the antenna prior to leaving campgrounds. I see a lot of people that forget to lower it prior to leaving camp.
Luckily mine is stationary so I don’t have to worry about it, but thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg270 View Post
I don't foresee having any issues with the truck. Just make sure your wheel bearings are freshly repacked. another bit of advice: don't over load the TT, make sure the rubber is good, and the tries are properly inflated, and travel within the speed limitations of the TT tires. Overloaded and underinflated=blowouts.
The TT is pretty much brand new (2019 model purchased end of November) so all bearings and tires are good to go. They all have about 1500 miles on them just from local camping trips. And I’m a stickler about loading and weights and I’m pretty sure I annoy my wife with it lol

I joke I go to CAT scales as a hobby. I stop before each trip to make sure I’m in limitations on the truck, TT, and combined. This was more because we were at the top end of the trailer capacity with my old truck, but am definitely going to make sure I weigh it with all the cross country goodies and cargo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post

Truck:

Camper:
1) Gorilla Tape

I carry a full tool set (old set from the garage) with everything I could ever need and pretty much everything else you listed is on the list. Except with the 48 gallon tank in my long bed, I’m really having to convince myself to bring the extra fuel. But I probably will.

Bummer about the roof! That’s not a repair I’m looking to make on a 6 month old trailer, but stuff happens! Glad you got her all fixed up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg270 View Post
I use the EZ tire monitoring system. I also up graded to the Sailun S637 tire H rated. Great reviews and I totally love the tire. When the camper isn't in use the tires are covered, and I spray the 301 UV on them
I want the S637s... but they don’t make my tire size.

Do you like the EZ? I’ve read reviews ranging from it is amazing to it was DOA. I’m really struggling finding one that I feel good spending the money on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
A trip like that I’d carry at least 1 carton of DEF. seems I fill the DEF tank (2 cartons) every oil change. When the light comes on, it’s nerve grinding wondering when to get a chance to fill it.

I hate when any warning message pops up.

Went to Yuma and back last year to visit friends,1500 miles and had to fill DEF once completely in Hawthorne NV. I’ve used truck stop DEF a few times at the pump while on other trips.
Yeah I hear that. I had a CEL on my old truck pop up as we were pulling out of a campground to drive 5 hours home. Read it and it was fuel related. That was a fun autozone parking lot trouble shoot. Actually was the last trip with that truck. Bought the 6.7 8 days later.

I’m planning on taking two boxes just Incase! But looking forward to bulk DEF prices and convenience at the truck stops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode