Debating on moving away from Ford diesels to a GMC - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Debating on moving away from Ford diesels to a GMC

I am in the market for a new diesel. My 2012 has left me stranded and nickeled and dimed me to death over the past couple months. I’ve bought a denali suburban for my wife last year from Laura GMC and saved a ton. I checked out their Durmax selection and they have over a hundred in stock and their advertised price is thousands cheaper (10k) than a comparable Ford. Is there not a mass volume super duty dealer that lists rock bottom pricing on the internet? I prefer the super duty but not sure its worth 10k more. Any internet volume dealer recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The front end and running gear much much much less stout than ford or dodge, frankly a joke and something you’ll need to treat with kid gloves. As long as you don’t run over size tires or do serous off road or towing in 4wd than they are fine. That is their weakness they don’t switch to solid axle till there 4500+ serious which are the commercial cab versions they don’t have a 450 cab and bed equivalent
HeavyAssault and gypsees like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
19 F450. Hauls my toys. Dumont regular
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build thread:

Truck pics on IG @ Jetjock15

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
post #3 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Stay with the Ford. Once there deleted there the greatest thing since slice bread. Better trans. Extra fuel pump. More potential. Larger factory tires.

Sorry for the rant.... I just came from a duramax. there good and all but id never go back.
gypsees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,048 Times in 977 Posts
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Garage
I'd like to see the stickers where these "comparable" trucks were $10k difference in price. A volume dealer can often offer a better price, but they don't lose money on anything current models. I haven't actually priced a GMC lately, but historically, they are more than a similar Chevy, which is pretty close with Ford pricing. Any of them can run a sale or offer incentives at any time though, so that can certainly pay off if you're looking at that time. I have a friend that just bought a new 2019 GMC 2500. It's a good looking truck, but I haven't really checked it out in depth yet. Those IFS front ends are tougher than @jetjock15 might have you believe, but obviously they are not a solid axle and can't take as much abuse. They do ride good. They also are good at tearing the corners off the tread on the tires and eventually doing the Chevy curtsy.
john galt, SparkyF250 and gypsees like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #5 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I don’t look at GMs anymore and here are my reasons:

1) square wheel wells. I need a slightly higher ground clearance for work and GMs are a pain to raise them enough to get bigger tires on.

2) location of the DEF tank. The tank is under the truck near the running board. It is ridiculous how low it sits. See above. Also, to fill def, you have to do it under the hood. Annoying.

3) cheap looking interior. It looks like GM has used the same door handles since 2002. I can’t believe how basic and boring it is. The Denali interior looks like a base model compared to the other 2 leading companies. That’s just my taste though.

4) Government bail outs. Both Canadian and American governments have bailed them out numerous times yet GM still closes plants in Canada and US to make them cheaper in Mexico. You’re welcome GM.

5) towing number are around 5000lbs less than ford or dodge. I’m sure it will pull like the ford or dodge but it’s not rated to do so. I’m sure that’s a suspension issue.

Overall, the GM truck is a very nice truck if it was 2004. The technology is nowhere close to Ford and Dodge. The ride however, can’t be beat. Unbelievable how smooth it is and the gas mileage is good. If it was a daily driver and never towed anything, I would look at a GM HD.......... Wait, no towing, id look at a gas half ton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeddyD For This Useful Post:
justinco (05-29-2019)
post #6 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Forgot too add this.

GMs commercial making fun of aluminum truck boxes. They completely failed and have been called out on poor editing to make the aluminum box look terrible. About a year ago, GM said they would be introducing an aluminum truck and remembered that they can’t make the box out of aluminum because of their advertising. Now they plan to make it out of a weird carbon fibre or something like that. Yup, a plastic box. You heard me. Any company that has to devalue a competitor is scary. That shows they can’t show value with their vehicle so they have to devalue the competitors. Everything I know about sales is you show why yours is better and not why theirs is worse.
post #7 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Great Point Teddy, even though G8 is basically a salesman Teddy reminds us they went bankrupt and reopened the next day. All
They really did was default on good folks retirement. I can’t support that even if G8 will attest to a marvelous front end
G8orFord and gypsees like this.

19 F450. Hauls my toys. Dumont regular

Build thread:

Truck pics on IG @ Jetjock15

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
post #8 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
IFS doesn't belong on an HD truck, enough said.
jetjock15 and john galt like this.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #9 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,048 Times in 977 Posts
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Garage
Ah come on JJ, I just said they were tougher than you "might" have them believe. We run IFS in our half ton race truck. We have gone to aftermarket axles since we've bumped up to closer to 800 hp, but the stockers did reasonably well at 600+.

This is a race from a couple of weeks ago. We are the blue truck. We also work on the other truck at times (racing family). It's a BBC 499, ours is a SBC 408. In all fairness, he had shifter problems and they did beat us in a race later in the day. If we could get the handling out of a solid axle that we get from the IFS, we'd find an older body style and run it, but with these aftermarket axles, we are doing fine. I just wish I could remember the name of them. LOL They are about $2500 for the pair, but they have a lifetime warranty.

BTW, every vehicle I own (5) is a Ford, All of my company vehicles (6) are also Ford's, so saying I'm a salesman for Chevy is a little off the mark.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #10 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good cover G8. Having multiple Fords is exactly something a GM salesman would say. Lol. Just joking.

I don’t think you can call the GMs a true HD truck because of the lack of towing weights compared to the major competitors. The IFS drastically reduces the towing numbers but it’s jot the only reason for the discrepancy in towing numbers. It’s a weird situation and it’s almost like the GMs are in a class of their own. Better ride with more towing than a half ton. Call it a miniHD. HD to me is towing and hauling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode