Debating on moving away from Ford diesels to a GMC - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A half ton race truck weighs a lot less than an HD diesel truck, especially with a load. It isn't the CV axles that are the weak link ( at least from what I have seen) it's the ball joints and tie rod ends, I have replaced several. It's even worse if you have bigger tires, a buddy of mine has a Duramax with 35s and it went through two sets of ball joints and tie rod ends in just a year, then he snapped one off right at the pittman arm. An IFS puts more strain on the steering componets because every time it cycles it's pushing or pulling on the tie rods, and the camber changes. This isn't a problem with a straight axle. The tires also seem to wear out on the outsides quicker even when properly aligned.
The Following User Says Thank You to 00t444e For This Useful Post:
jetjock15 (05-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Was it mentioned anywhere what you are using the truck for? (daily driving, towing, hauling, etc).

I think that would drive what you are going for, or at least that is how I would approach it. If heavy hauling and/or towing, I think I would skip the GMC and stick with a Ford, or Dodge. The ride is definitely smoother and better on the GMC compared to the others, but I would only go that route if I knew I was light towing/hauling. A friend of mine is a Chevy mechanic however, and swears by those trucks. He tows a similar enclosed race car trailer as mine with I think a 2008 HD with the LMM engine. Does just fine.
post #13 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those trucks are rad G8. Glade you get my sarcasm, some never get it. All that being said like others mentioned I think it’s different in a HD diesel towing. If you drag a half stuck/sinking 20k Toyhauler/camper through the sand in 4wd and the truck starts wheel hoping they give out pretty quick. Statistically I guess they surviving ok but i see at least two a year break a tie rod or cv or seen the entire diff gernade. I broke a front axle, snapped it in that same scenario in an 06 F250 but with front locker engaged but I guess nobody is invincible. Well except me now with the 450 lol. Got a front locker again but much bigger axles! I’m into the desert Baja scene, IFS is far superior in almost every application, but no place in 3/4 ton and up trucks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
19 F450. Hauls my toys. Dumont regular
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build thread:

Truck pics on IG @ Jetjock15

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,041 Times in 970 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
A half ton race truck weighs a lot less than an HD diesel truck, especially with a load. It isn't the CV axles that are the weak link ( at least from what I have seen) it's the ball joints and tie rod ends, I have replaced several. It's even worse if you have bigger tires, a buddy of mine has a Duramax with 35s and it went through two sets of ball joints and tie rod ends in just a year, then he snapped one off right at the pittman arm. An IFS puts more strain on the steering componets because every time it cycles it's pushing or pulling on the tie rods, and the camber changes. This isn't a problem with a straight axle. The tires also seem to wear out on the outsides quicker even when properly aligned.
Agreed, especially on the HD trucks. Although, we haven't had any issues with the tie rods or ball joints on the race truck. Oddly enough, after this last race we did pull the entire front end off for a complete rebuild. About the only thing that "really" needed replacing was the lower ball joints and the A arm bushings, but I'm pretty sure they were as old as the truck itself. The biggest issue we've had with the front suspension and steering is the idler arm. Been through about 4 of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Those trucks are rad G8. Glade you get my sarcasm, some never get it. All that being said like others mentioned I think itís different in a HD diesel towing. If you drag a half stuck/sinking 20k Toyhauler/camper through the sand in 4wd and the truck starts wheel hoping they give out pretty quick. Statistically I guess they surviving ok but i see at least two a year break a tie rod or cv or seen the entire diff gernade. I broke a front axle, snapped it in that same scenario in an 06 F250 but with front locker engaged but I guess nobody is invincible. Well except me now with the 450 lol. Got a front locker again but much bigger axles! Iím into the desert Baja scene, IFS is far superior in almost every application, but no place in 3/4 ton and up trucks
The clamshell design isn't the best for sure. One of the reasons I've heard that they don't sell a True-Trac for them is because the limited slip setup will almost insure an explosion of the case.
gypsees likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #15 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
Forgot too add this.

GMs commercial making fun of aluminum truck boxes. They completely failed and have been called out on poor editing to make the aluminum box look terrible. About a year ago, GM said they would be introducing an aluminum truck and remembered that they canít make the box out of aluminum because of their advertising. Now they plan to make it out of a weird carbon fibre or something like that. Yup, a plastic box. You heard me. Any company that has to devalue a competitor is scary. That shows they canít show value with their vehicle so they have to devalue the competitors. Everything I know about sales is you show why yours is better and not why theirs is worse.
BUUUUTTTT...............They have one <cough> hell of a tailgate <cough>

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 CCLB

5th Wheel |

Proud Veteran | US Navy - '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5)
post #16 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Fummins Mod

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
BUUUUTTTT...............They have one <cough> hell of a tailgate <cough>
until you leave the hitch in the reciever and open the tailgate into the step configuration....

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

P-Pump 12 Valve/NV4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Cornville View Post
When a saint tells you, ya gotta listen.
post #17 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I got to play with one of those tailgates today. Its surprisingly tricky to use. When you have both tailgates down, it’s hard to close. You can’t just close the foot step because the entire tailgate flops and it doesn’t feel like it’s closed. If you close the actual tailgate first, the little step goes flopping around and creates a nice pinch point for your fingers. Can’t believe how light the tailgate is. I thought it was neat but I can see it failing with how tricky it is to close.
post #18 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 04:18 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
i did a job for a guy back in 07 he had a nice 06 with a utility bed and he LOVED his truck i have kinda kept in touch with him a bit over the years he was a nice guy so..
ayways his 06 died on him he couldnt figure it out and our idiot for stealership couldnt either he tried to order an an 18 and they wouldnt do it for him so he wound up with a gmc left hi on the side of the road 4 times in a year and he finally figured out the pcm on his 06 blew the gm rots in this driveway and he is back to working out of his 06 no issues since replacing the PCM
i guess the hood leaked and drowned his PCM.
now everytime i see him he rants about how much he HATES GM they wouldnt back it he is fighting the lemmon law now with a one year old truck that is a complete pos...
that is all
gypsees likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #19 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I’m not brand loyal by any means, but all trucks have those lemon law trucks. It seems that if a guy has bad luck once, he has it twice. Lol.

I buy what I believe to be the best truck on the market at the time I need to buy one. I always had dodge because my previous years 2008 and 2012 trucks, dodge reported the least amount of major problems. Ford had turbo and tranny problems from what my buddy who is a service manager at a ford dealership told me. He recommended that I buy a dodge. Seriously. Don’t give me crap about that, just took his recommendation. Lol. In 2018, Ford was years ahead of the competition in technology and like dodge and chev, finally had a proven powertrain. It was a pretty easy decision for me. Dodge is catching up by adding adaptive cruise, 360 camera etc. to the 2019s and chev will be a few years behind that. The Denali I was playing with today was a 2019 half ton with the 6.2L? I think that’s what it was. So low to the ground and had no badging so I am guessing. The interior is the most boring and plain interior yet again.
post #20 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonburrwc84 View Post
I am in the market for a new diesel. My 2012 has left me stranded and nickeled and dimed me to death over the past couple months. I’ve bought a denali suburban for my wife last year from Laura GMC and saved a ton. I checked out their Durmax selection and they have over a hundred in stock and their advertised price is thousands cheaper (10k) than a comparable Ford. Is there not a mass volume super duty dealer that lists rock bottom pricing on the internet? I prefer the super duty but not sure its worth 10k more. Any internet volume dealer recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure this is not a new thing, the pricing difference. Ford's pricing is higher than others and factory rebates lower. It's not uncommon to see GM trucks advertised at up to $14k bellow MSRP. You wont see that kind of pricing on a Ford Superduty even at a volume dealer, the factory rebates arent there. That's not to say you can't negotiate a better than advertised deal.

Last edited by 84flatbed; 05-30-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode