General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wrecked one

I'm sitting at a red light, in the left turn lane, second vehicle back. It's raining. A Lincoln Navigator makes a left turn, coming from my right. My wife was in the truck with me and it was like slow motion. I had enough time to say, "That guy thinks he is Mario Andretti", and then, "Look, he is breaking loose in the rain". Then he can't recover from his slide and jumps the median and hits the driver side of my truck. Ugh. It is 3 months old and has 4,000 miles on it. King Ranch Ultimate package.

Driver doesn't speak english, but does have insurance. The damage doesn't look all that bad, but it did crunch the bed in front of the fuel door, the bottom of the cab, and the rear door. I drive it around a few days while arguing the process with his insurance company. They sent an estimator to my house, and immediately sent me a check for $3,700. I tore that up. I took it to a reputable body shop. They took it apart, met with the estimator, and adjusted it to $22,000. The insurance company called me and said he only had $20,000 in coverage, and I should file a claim with my own insurance. I declined and took the $20,000. I will have to cover the additional $2k.

It has been in the shop for two months. No rental car, but I can use my wife's car. I have visited my baby a few times, and it is pretty sad. The cab is being worked on in one area, the bed in another, and the chassis is in the bay. Doors and tailgate are stacked in racks. The rear seat, carpet, headliner and back window are out. Ford sent someone out to audit the technician for continued certification and they told me it was exactly to Ford specs.

I just can't imagine the truck will ever be the same. Any pro will be able to find the rivets that Ford specs to re-attach a panel, even though they are hidden under trim. I'm actually glad that they can't bondo aluminum. Everything is new, but it is still pretty sad. My kids say I should have pocketed the $20k and put it up for sale. I'm starting to think they may not have been wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18580.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	719269   Click image for larger version

Name:	18576.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	719271  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ugh that sucks. You won’t be the first or the last to have to repair one. At least you see to have found a good shop and cool that ford sent a rep of whatever. I think once they done, only you will know. Please keep this thread going with pics, neat to see. As long as no frame or engine or tranny damage you should be glade. Did you look up state minimums? I thought most states were 25k min liability but sounds like that parts closed out. Also your lucky the dude had insurance, seems like a lot don’t these days
Kryptic_361, john galt and BTL like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
19 F450. Hauls my toys. Dumont regular
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build thread:

Truck pics on IG @ Jetjock15

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
post #3 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thankfully nobody was injured and you are lucky they had some insurance.
I had a 16 F350 crew 4x4 PS that was 1 week short of year old. Young girl with learners permit blew a red light & hit me in the drivers door, drivers rear door & bed. Ripped the rear axle loose and spun the passenger side into a stoplight pole, creaming the passenger side rear of cab & bed. Thank goodness for side airbags! Nobody injured. The other parties insurance declined to cover the accident, so I had to use mine. Adjuster stopped adding at $38k damage & totaled it out.
Now I have a 17.
john galt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gt2r View Post
. The other parties insurance declined to cover the accident, so I had to use mine..
Crazy how they can just decline coverage like that! What was their reasoning? We had a car drive through the front of one of our stores a couple year ago and their insurance declined to pay until we took them to court. Sad thatís what you have to do now days to make people do the right thing!
post #5 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

State minimum in NV is $20k. Recently upped from $10k. Actually kind of funny how the adjuster tried to send me $3,700 and get me to go away. They are used to kids looking at a $3,700 check in their name and saying, "Yeehaw, I can drive it wrecked and keep the cash". When they saw it would exceed their coverage, they tried to get me to turn to my own insurance. I've been around long enough to not fall for that one.

I did a lot of research and I am convinced I found the right body shop. I have dropped in several times to check on the work, and the tech was always going through a phone book sized tech book from Ford to make sure everything was perfect. It is a very large shop with dozens of high end vehicles being worked on, but he is the aluminum Ford guy. They just sent me this pic over the weekend and told me that it would be done on Wednesday. Considering that it depreciates about $1,000 a month, they have had it for $2,000 worth of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19441.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	614.3 KB
ID:	719329  
Kryptic_361 and BTL like this.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Hearing stories like this makes me glad my Canadian province has government owned insurance. There is no option. Registration and insurance is one company. Collision and liability is standard insurance. We just have deductibles of $700 for basic insurance and $100-500 options for package policy insurance programs. I could ram your truck and just say oops, pay my $100 because I would be at fault and both our vehicles would be fixed. No problem at all. Insurance for my truck cost $120/month for standard coverage and $50/month for my commercial package policy.
jetjock15 likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-28-2019, 05:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Glad to hear that everyone was ok after this incident.

My wife is an insurance agent and I often hear the horror stories like this especially when state minimums are involved. Fortunately her firm will not write state minimums. States need to wise up and seriously jack up their minimums. Cars are becoming ever more expensive and $20k won't cover a dang KIA these days. In your case, you are having to come out of pocket $2k which frankly isn't right. If the dude had totaled your vehicle, you'd probably be upside down of no fault of your own. This is why lawyers get involved because the good guys like you get screwed and have to recover your loss for the cheapness and stupidity of others.

Vent closed. /
gypsees and Warboar like this.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-28-2019, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necks8907 View Post
Crazy how they can just decline coverage like that! What was their reasoning? We had a car drive through the front of one of our stores a couple year ago and their insurance declined to pay until we took them to court. Sad thatís what you have to do now days to make people do the right thing!
In Illinois you don't have to be a covered driver until you actually have your drivers license. I am guessing that the driver wasn't supposed to be driving that car & the insurance found a loophole to get out of paying. The other car was a POS, but whoever owned it got hosed in the deal also.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-29-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I have good insurance, which includes uninsured/ underinsured coverage. It sucks to make a claim against it though. In the long run, a claim will cost me more than $2,000, so paying the out of pocket made sense. It is supposed to be done today. Wish me luck.
jd4010, Heavy_GD and BTL like this.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-29-2019, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlvmike View Post
I have good insurance, which includes uninsured/ underinsured coverage. It sucks to make a claim against it though. In the long run, a claim will cost me more than $2,000, so paying the out of pocket made sense. It is supposed to be done today. Wish me luck.
My sympathies but it looks like they did a nice job. Iím no lawyer, but could you take the driver to court (small claims) for the $2k? Heís still liable whether his insurance pays for the full amount or not. Maybe get an old Navigator out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode