LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sleeping in the cab

Does anyone have any ideas how to comfortably sleep in the back seat area of a crew cab of a '17? Going on a camping trip where my big rig won't fit and my 2 horse trailer doesn't allow me to open any doors from inside. Since there is a good population o bears where I a going I need somewhere safe to sleep and thought about the cab. I did that once in my old 350 and the hump in the middle was miserable and my self inflatable mattress was longer than the back seats were wide..lol. Any ideas appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Measure the space in the rear seat and cut a 4x8 piece of plywood just big enough to lay down on the seat and cover the space where your feet go. you may get more sliding the seat forward for the night. Nail a 2x4 across the bottom of the spliced plywood and nail 2-3 legs on the cross member and lay down some pads or blankets. Works great and super cheap. I would leave it in the bed of the truck and I drilled holes and used bolts with washer and a ratchet to attaché the legs to save room.

Truck drivers have been doing this for years.

I attached a pic of one that isn't mine but you'll see the idea easily. just sand the edges down smooth and wrap a couple of crappy sheets to keep the wood from snagging anything on the seat. Plus they sell cots/camping pads at walmart super cheap. I attached my little redneck drawing too lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back seat diy bed.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	718691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	718693  
gypsees and White_Buffalo7.3 like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin

Last edited by JustinOOO9; Yesterday at 08:18 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh wow that is awesome!! Thank you so much. If I got something like that, I could actually buy a memory foam mattress for it that sleeps really good..lol.. Although my self inflatable sleeps pretty good. Not as good as memory foam though! Appreciate the help.
JustinOOO9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Make sure you turn the alarm off. I tried to sleep in mine and kept setting the alarm off. Ended up just driving to the next town and getting a hotel cause I kept setting it off
MrTommy and gypsees like this.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold—2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How the heck do you turn off the alarm? What sets it off? Movement? Good grief..lol.. Thanks for the heads up!
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
When you shut it off you can select either perimeter or all alarms. I didn't pay attention and left it on all alarms and the movement inside set off the alarm. I think they have that so it will go off if a baby is left inside. After i set it off the first time i switched it to perimeter and tried to go back to sleep. I was sitting against the door and had my feet across the seat. I don't know if having my back against the door was enough to set off the perimeter alarm. Maybe it thought someone was trying to pull on the door. Im not sure if you can completely disable the perimeter alarm. I haven't really looked.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold—2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

post #7 of 9 Old Today, 04:00 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
All alarm is even worse. Wife’s lariat we can’t leave a dog in it if we don’t switch to perimeter. We walk 10 feet and they have set off the motion sensor.

Perimeter used to be the default, but truck got updated and now all is the preset, so we have to manually choose perimeter each time we get out. Keep waiting to see if Forscsn can change it back up perimeter default

2017 F250 CrewCab Short, leveled with 35/12.5/20 Toyo MT. Fuel 20x10

TOTALED: 2010 F-350 6.4 Crew-Short, Sinister Deletes, Coolant Filter. SCT with Tunes. CTS2 monitor, Mishi Rad, CFS Intercooler. Cold Side pipe, Down Pipe. 2.5 level, 295/65/20 Kenwood 9900 Apple Car Play
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have no clue if I even have this feature? I may do a trial run and see...lol..
Thanks for the info guys!
It appears I got some manual reading to do!
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,056 Times in 1,965 Posts
Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ive done this several times.

1. put the front seats all the way forward and put couch cushions in the floorboard to build up to the rear bench seat level.
2. depending on your needs, put a foam mattress topper or a sleeping bag on the whole area
3. use stick on shades for the windows, you can also hang towels in the door, but something to block out the light. I actually have a cab cover from @Covercraft that works great.
4. air, you need a fan if the truck cant idle overnight. If you can idle, just set the temp. If not I use small window fans. Air circulation is a must.
White_Buffalo7.3 likes this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in