Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

REGEN Procedure?

20K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  cletusjermal 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2018 F-350 not long with 12,000 miles on it. I keep reading about the "Regeneration Process" but I never seen anything as described. I'm a former 2002 Dodge/Ram owner and this is all new to me. I've looked in the information display on the dash and there's nothing I can find there. I've driven the truck about 2,500 miles since I bought it and it's run perfectly...LOVE IT. But I have never experienced any "regeneration". What am I missing? Will I experience anything to tell me I have to do something or is it automatic if and when it goes into "regeneration"?

Thanks from a newby.

#2 ·
There is a message that pops up on the dash for a few seconds when it starts. 6.7s generally regen about every 300-500 miles depending on driving habits. If you are doing something wrong, you will see a message that stays on the dash saying drive to clean exhaust.

You can download an app called torque pro on an android device and use a bluetooth OBDII reader to monitor the truck or buy a monitor like the edge CTS2. You can watch a lot of different engine parameters including emissions. It will tell you when the truck is in regen.

If you aren't getting a message that stays on the dash, you don't need to worry. I can generally feel when my truck starts a regen, its a lot more subtle than my 6.4 was though... The only annoying thing is, even if you see the message you have no way of knowing when its done without a monitor. Its always a good idea to drive it until the regen is complete (usually about 20 miles).

Long story short, if you are worried about it... Get a monitor (its a good idea anyway), but the truck will do its thing and tell you if you need to do something different. Just try to limit short trips as much as possible.

Reactions: Blue2018-350
#11 ·
I have about 11k miles and haven’t seen a pop up message about regen. It’s not a huge deal but if it’s not telling me when it’s happening, how do I know that I should not turn the vehicle off and interrupt the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I just bought my truck and have put about 1000 miles on it so far and haven’t seen any messages or felt anything that I would call a regen. Also the DEF fluid level hasn’t changed. Probably 60% highway, 40% city driving.

But I figure the truck would tell me if I wasn’t allowing it to happen or something.

#4 · (Edited)
Regen procedure? You put def Fluid in dude

There is another process happening too, it’s called combustion. You add diesel to support it’s continuation. You don’t fret that right? Just keep the Def tank supplied and don’t Worry about it. Only keyboard commandos care about tracking And watching regens. It boggles my mind. Somebody should make a light that notifies you when exhaust recirculation is happening. I’m going to delete all that crap when I can find the time to get to it

#5 ·
I don't know what's up JetJocks rear end about this, but I can tell easily.

I usually keep the instant fuel mileage screen on. When I'm doing 75mph, I'm usually seeing it hovering around the 17-19mpg area. When regen starts, it will stay at 10mpg or lower. In the area I live in, there's a lot of 60mph zones. MPG is usually at 20 or above. 45mph areas, 25 or above. However, when in Regen, it's at 10mpg.

When pulling something while in regen, I don't see above 5mpg.

As soon as regen is over, the MPG reading goes back to normal.

#6 ·
Hawk do monitor the sunrise to ensure the sun rises? Would be as productive as watching regeneration.

Maybe I will develop a sensor and display to monitor EGR. I could make a ton selling to ya’all. Muffler bearing friction display and rpm too potentially. Hmmm got me thinking

#10 ·
Hawk do monitor the sunrise to ensure the sun rises? Would be as productive as watching regeneration.

Maybe I will develop a sensor and display to monitor EGR. I could make a ton selling to ya’all. Muffler bearing friction display and rpm too potentially. Hmmm got me thinking

Why bother with routine maintenance by your line of "thinking"? Why do through-flight checks? Why monitor fuel burn rates? I mean, it's like someone kinda smart figured out that if you kept track of what the aircraft (vehicle) was doing on a regular basis, you could almost prevent catastrophic failures by monitoring integrated systems and their overall health. Stop being an ***.

WOW, sorry JetJock15 for wanting to know whats going on with the truck. I've had diesel trucks before but not one this advanced and one that has so much technology. Guess I'll wait to see what message pop up in the display. So far, nothing, and I've put over 2K on it since I became the owner. And no change that I can see in the MPG.

Don't even bother. He has a stick up his butt and refuses to see why it's beneficial to the overall dependability and performance of your truck to ensure systems are operating properly. I mean, God forbid you recognize a pending malfunction that could put you into reduced power mode while towing a heavy load hundreds of miles away from home before you ever leave on that trip. :rolleyes:

Reactions: kingranchdude
#7 ·
:look:
Dono what that was about... It is always good to understand what is going on with the truck. As I pointed out, the truck will tell you if you aren't letting the dpf clean completely. If enough regens are interrupted and it fills up enough, the truck will keep a message on the dash saying drive to clean exhaust. It isn't something to stress about, but there is nothing wrong with keeping an eye on it.

Either way, if you know the truck is in regen... Its always a good idea to let it finish if you can. And there is nothing dumb about watching the dpf status. Its really annoying not knowing when the dpf is full, or when its done cleaning the dpf. A CTS2 will tell you when its in regen with a little green light. Its kinda handy.

Its also a really good way to tell if there is a problem with the truck. If you usually average 400-500 miles between regens and now all of the sudden you are going into regen every 150 miles without any other changes to drive habbits..... You know something is up.

#8 ·
WOW, sorry JetJock15 for wanting to know whats going on with the truck. I've had diesel trucks before but not one this advanced and one that has so much technology. Guess I'll wait to see what message pop up in the display. So far, nothing, and I've put over 2K on it since I became the owner. And no change that I can see in the MPG.

#13 ·
I still can't decide if any of this is directed at me... If so you have clearly lost your mind.

As stated before, if the truck isn't telling you anything... Just put your foot down and go. If one wants to know whats going on, get a monitor. You of all people can't sit there and tell anyone that a monitor isn't worth getting.

And either way, it is absolutely not the best thing for the truck to shut it down in the middle of a regen. But, you can't avoid it all the time and Ford factored that into the design.

You said you plan to delete, so there is no reason to be concerned with the dpf. For those that don't want to or can't go that route, its in their best interest to let regens complete. If nothing else, the dpf will last longer. So will the turbo......... But hey, I am an internet warrior just trying to spread fear and misinformation after all.

Reactions: Hawk388
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.