LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2019, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
There is a message that pops up on the dash for a few seconds when it starts. 6.7s generally regen about every 300-500 miles depending on driving habits. If you are doing something wrong, you will see a message that stays on the dash saying drive to clean exhaust.

You can download an app called torque pro on an android device and use a bluetooth OBDII reader to monitor the truck or buy a monitor like the edge CTS2. You can watch a lot of different engine parameters including emissions. It will tell you when the truck is in regen.

If you aren't getting a message that stays on the dash, you don't need to worry. I can generally feel when my truck starts a regen, its a lot more subtle than my 6.4 was though... The only annoying thing is, even if you see the message you have no way of knowing when its done without a monitor. Its always a good idea to drive it until the regen is complete (usually about 20 miles).

Long story short, if you are worried about it... Get a monitor (its a good idea anyway), but the truck will do its thing and tell you if you need to do something different. Just try to limit short trips as much as possible.

I have about 11k miles and havenít seen a pop up message about regen. Itís not a huge deal but if itís not telling me when itís happening, how do I know that I should not turn the vehicle off and interrupt the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 F250 4x4 King Ranch Crew Cab Long Bed
Banks Monster Exhaust
Mag Hytec Trans Pan
BD Diesel X Monitor Gauges
Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit bedcover
SCT with Innovative Tunes
High Idle Mod
Dynamat Hoodliner
Zoodad coming soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranchdude View Post
I have about 11k miles and haven’t seen a pop up message about regen. It’s not a huge deal but if it’s not telling me when it’s happening, how do I know that I should not turn the vehicle off and interrupt the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t need to worry about interrupting regen by shutting down KingRanchDude. That was only an issue with earlier models as well as the associated display. The new models don’t require ANY user input (more than adding DEF) so thus there is no display. Technology advanced, these keyboard commandos just can’t Phathom it.

Hawk, as per aviation references it’s a good train of logic but over the last 30 years the focus has shifted from “knowing all systems” to “knowing the systems you can effect”, brought on by new technologies being Uber complicated. In all Honesty, sorry for coming off like an a$$, I get your point, I just think you all
Mis-guide newbies into thinking this is something that requires user input. It’s holdover from older models. If ford deleted the display they obviously overcame the need for user input with new technology. This is the reasons these forums are divided by year groups. Though the 17-19 models had changes within the year group, I think you misguide 19 owners with logic that applied to 17s. Your assuming millions of miles of testing, all the engineering and R&D of FoMoCo, with all the warranty $$$ as the wager, was inaccurate or incomplete, requiring you to get out there and educate 19 owners on the requirements to monitor Regens, requiring software changes that are not included with the truck? That’s insanity bro. Keep monitoring the sunrise brother somebody has to make sure it rises, I applaud you

19 F450

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
Old 04-29-2019, 12:27 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
I still can't decide if any of this is directed at me... If so you have clearly lost your mind.

As stated before, if the truck isn't telling you anything... Just put your foot down and go. If one wants to know whats going on, get a monitor. You of all people can't sit there and tell anyone that a monitor isn't worth getting.

And either way, it is absolutely not the best thing for the truck to shut it down in the middle of a regen. But, you can't avoid it all the time and Ford factored that into the design.

You said you plan to delete, so there is no reason to be concerned with the dpf. For those that don't want to or can't go that route, its in their best interest to let regens complete. If nothing else, the dpf will last longer. So will the turbo......... But hey, I am an internet warrior just trying to spread fear and misinformation after all.
Hawk388 likes this.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Quote:
There is a message that pops up on the dash for a few seconds when it starts. 6.7s generally regen about every 300-500 miles depending on driving habits. If you are doing something wrong, you will see a message that stays on the dash saying drive to clean exhaust.

You can download an app called torque pro on an android device and use a bluetooth OBDII reader to monitor the truck or buy a monitor like the edge CTS2. You can watch a lot of different engine parameters including emissions. It will tell you when the truck is in regen.

If you aren't getting a message that stays on the dash, you don't need to worry. I can generally feel when my truck starts a regen, its a lot more subtle than my 6.4 was though... The only annoying thing is, even if you see the message you have no way of knowing when its done without a monitor. Its always a good idea to drive it until the regen is complete (usually about 20 miles).

Long story short, if you are worried about it... Get a monitor (its a good idea anyway), but the truck will do its thing and tell you if you need to do something different. Just try to limit short trips as much as possible.
The 17+ don’t have the display that pops up when it starts. The only indication is the drop in MPG. You can have the DPF status screen enabled that will tell you the % full it is. When it is 100% full you know it will start soon.
jd4010 likes this.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
You don’t need to worry about interrupting regen by shutting down KingRanchDude. That was only an issue with earlier models as well as the associated display. The new models don’t require ANY user input (more than adding DEF) so thus there is no display. Technology advanced, these keyboard commandos just can’t Phathom it.

Hawk, as per aviation references it’s a good train of logic but over the last 30 years the focus has shifted from “knowing all systems” to “knowing the systems you can effect”, brought on by new technologies being Uber complicated. In all Honesty, sorry for coming off like an a$$, I get your point, I just think you all
Mis-guide newbies into thinking this is something that requires user input. It’s holdover from older models. If ford deleted the display they obviously overcame the need for user input with new technology. This is the reasons these forums are divided by year groups. Though the 17-19 models had changes within the year group, I think you misguide 19 owners with logic that applied to 17s. Your assuming millions of miles of testing, all the engineering and R&D of FoMoCo, with all the warranty $$$ as the wager, was inaccurate or incomplete, requiring you to get out there and educate 19 owners on the requirements to monitor Regens, requiring software changes that are not included with the truck? That’s insanity bro. Keep monitoring the sunrise brother somebody has to make sure it rises, I applaud you

First off, I partially agree with you about not worrying about interrupting Regen's. My caveat being, if you've interrupted it a couple times, for me I go with two times, then on the third I make sure to drive until it's complete. That's not written anywhere, just my personal idea. As mentioned by someone else, I think it's just much better for the turbo from what I've read.

As far as your R&D and warranty comments, there are hundreds of dead people who would disagree with you about being knowledgeable of all systems. Especially ones where a manufacturer doesn't think you need to know much about them. Boeing is currently making sure pilots know a tiny little sub-system a whole lot better.

I'll point out the OP asked a question. I simply gave him the answer to that question. I never, not once, told him or anyone else what I thought they SHOULD do, nor did I try to "educate" anyone any further than to answer the question of "How can I tell when my truck is doing a regen". Due to your desire to be insulting on the topic, your need to come across as smarter and thus, barely tolerant of others who just "aren't on your level" as well as repeatedly being insultingly dismissive, is informative as well as what has been said on this topic.

Just so you know, my career was in rotary wing platforms. There may come a day where you're only concerned about systems you can directly influence, but that certainly isn't today. To ignore secondary and tertiary system warning signs, whether directly influencing operation or removed, is to be an annotation in the annals of aviation deaths. I think it's cute you so readily place enough trust in how something is designed you simply ignore things.

We cannot live on .45 ACP alone. There's .22, .223, 5.56, 9mm, .380, 7.62, 10mm, I could go on....

2017 F250 6.7L CCSB Lariat Ultimate
Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusjermal View Post
The 17+ don’t have the display that pops up when it starts. The only indication is the drop in MPG. You can have the DPF status screen enabled that will tell you the % full it is. When it is 100% full you know it will start soon.
Unless I am mistaken the drive to clean message will still pop up though once the dpf reaches a certain level or hasn't started a regen after a certain number of miles/engine hours. Its a message that stays on the dash and doesn't disappear unless you click ok.
I was unaware that Ford did away with the short message all together... Thats annoying.

Either way, as stated before... Not really worth stressing over, but absolutely worth understanding.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

Old 04-30-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Quote:
Unless I am mistaken the drive to clean message will still pop up though once the dpf reaches a certain level or hasn't started a regen after a certain number of miles/engine hours. Its a message that stays on the dash and doesn't disappear unless you click ok.
I was unaware that Ford did away with the short message all together... Thats annoying.

Either way, as stated before... Not really worth stressing over, but absolutely worth understanding.
I am pretty certain you are correct about the drive to clean message. I believe there is also a message saying it is in limp mode or something and the dealer has to clean the DPF. It can't be cleaned from driving.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in