15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regen Question

First time owner of a diesel with the emissions. My Powerstroke now has 2000 miles on it. I believe I have gone through 3 regens......my DPF was 85% full this evening when I left work, I sensed that the truck was going into Regen but I really canít tell that good yet, but for sure it was because it dropped to 65% before I got to my sons ball game which is about a 20 mile drive all under 65 mph.

I have been running Archoil since my 3rd fill up and I installed a banks monster 4Ē DPF back exhaust last Sunday.........before I get all the comments on how it does nothing to the truck as a far as performance, I know........it was given to me by a friend that upgraded to a 5Ē on his truck, it does look good though.

So my question...... is it normal to go into Regen when the DPF is not at 100%......and should I disable the Auto Regen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
There is a handful of circumstances that will start a regen. Not just the filter being at 100.
HeavyAssault likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
post #3 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What year is your truck with 2k miles? The 19s don’t give you regen info do they? Archoil? Really?? Snake oil company making fuel additive now. Ugh I’m sorry.

19 F450

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
My monitor tells me when the truck is going into regen, and no it does not have to be full when it starts. The truck will tell you and you have to acknowledge when the fluid is low, if I remember I think it comes up as a warning when you have around 500 miles left on the DEF tank. For some reason I am thinking it said 850, but anyway you will know.

2019 F350 King Ranch
SRW,
2.5" Level Kit
Xtreme MT2 35x12's
post #5 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Your truck has 2 regeneration methods.

1. Passive -- This occurs when the load and speed of the engine produce temperatures greater than 350 degrees C, and it burns off the trapped soot as the vehicle operates.

2. Active -- If the duty cycle does not produce high enough exhaust temperatures, the DPF becomes loaded with soot, which is indicated by its pressure sensors. Active regeneration is then required

What you experienced was an active regeneration cycle. Regeneration will happen automatically at maximum intervals of 500miles wether your truck needs regeneration or not. It will also happen when you hit 100%. While active regeneration is in progress, you will notice white ash which looks like smoke coming out of your tail pipe. This is normal. Even though you were not at 100%, you must have reached the maximum interval of miles. Ford maximum DPF full % is 300% but your truck would be at the dealer well before you got that high. Lol

You will not notice passive regeneration as it automatically works when parameters are met but does not raise the exhaust gas temperatures like an active regeneration. A good example is when I drive my 1100mile trip to work, my egts are always above 350 degrees so passive regeneration is keeping my filter clean. Every 500miles, I will notice the truck starting an active regeneration which in my situation is not needed because of the passive regen parameters being constantly being met so I turn the active regeneration off to stop the cycle. No sense in burning the filter and wasting fuel when my filter is already clean.

Do not turn of your active regeneration unless you are in a situation like mine. Turning off active regeneration is used for another situation like mine. I can go for weeks out at work where my truck will not maintain over 30 miles per hour for more than 10 minutes and the truck does a lot of idle time. In a situation like this, I turn off my active regen to allow the filter to fill up. When it is full, I perform a stationary Operator Comanded Regeneration OCR. My screen will tell me my filter is full and will let me select an option to perform an OCR. I park my truck and hold the OK button. Truck will then do a stationary OCR and it will last for 20-30minutes. The reason I turn off the active regeneration is because I don’t want the active mode to keep trying to turn on when I know I won’t be able to maintain a regen due to meeting active regen requirements of maintaing speed over 35mph (or around that speed) for 20-30min.

If in your settings menu, you have the ability to turn auto regen off, this means you have the ability to do an OCR. Leave your auto one on and if for some reason you do reach 100%, watch the ford video on how to do an OCR.

Long post but most guys do not understand the entire DPF system. They say they do but I have seen numerous posts made with incorrect information. If you have any questions, ask. Don’t be one of those guys. Lol.
09Busaman and Daglover72 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TeddyD For This Useful Post:
Daglover72 (03-30-2019)
post #6 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 10:01 PM

Sorry for another post but the guy that responded with the truck will tell you the fluid is low does not understand regeneration. Your DEF system has nothing to do with generation. Think of driving down a gravel road ona dry day. All that dust you are kicking up is like your exhaust after leaving the DPF system. Now let’s say you added a misting water sprayer behind your truck while driving down the gravel road. That mist will keep that dust down. That is essentially what your DEF fluid is doing. (It’s actually loading NO2 levels. I think it’s NO2). DEF system and DPF system are completely different. DPF traps soot in a filter and burns off the filter to clear the soot during a regen. The DEF system happens after the DPF filter does its job.
post #7 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 PM

https://youtu.be/yzRR8BTVsyw

I found a good video. I explained how to manage your trucks settings and how to operate your emissions system. The video shows the 3 emissions controls EGR, DPF and DEF. I think all diesel owners should be forced to watch this video before buying a truck with these emissions systems.
post #8 of 59 Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
https://youtu.be/yzRR8BTVsyw

I found a good video. I explained how to manage your trucks settings and how to operate your emissions system. The video shows the 3 emissions controls EGR, DPF and DEF. I think all diesel owners should be forced to watch this video before buying a truck with these emissions systems.
Good link, it was informative on a basic level. I canít wait to delete all this BS

19 F450

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
post #9 of 59 Old 03-30-2019, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
What year is your truck with 2k miles? The 19s don’t give you regen info do they? Archoil? Really?? Snake oil company making fuel additive now. Ugh I’m sorry.
I was able to add the DPF% screen and the ability to disable Auto Regen with FORSCAN. Do you have a recommendation for a good fuel additive?
post #10 of 59 Old 03-30-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

TeddyD, thank you very much for the reply, very good information. You said you idle a lot, do you have a high idle switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in