General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 03-14-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF / Regen Information

I really like this forum so I have been trying to think of ways to contribute. I have tried some different combinations of OptiLube products and have settled on a custom mix. The initial cost was rather expensive (total 183.38) but I'll report how many gallons of fuel were treated with this custom mix to see if it is cost effective. The mix consists of:
1 gal - Summer+ Formula (most cost effective)
2 qt - XPD Formula
2 qt - Boost! Formula
2 qt - XL Formula
I've been using the dosage recommendations for the Summer+ and so far I have added approx 56 gal of fuel (note: the first application was heavy; about 10oz for 29 gallons; I'd just gotten my fuel tank replaced per the TSB involving the incorrect sized fuel tank installed at factory).
Initial findings:
1 - Initial start up after first application. The truck seem to sound different in a good way but this is not measurable so I purchased a tablet and the ForScan app for android. The only problem is that I don't have any "before" data to post which I am slightly ticked off at myself about but I hope won't be much of a problem. I plan to monitor a group of parameters to see if I notice any improvements (I have included a photo of my Dashboard). Along the way I will post new screenshots and also look for ways to make the information relevant. So far this applies to those who keep there trucks stock but deleted owners may find value.
2 - What I'd like to find. I would like to see what my average regen distances are and improve upon them. What I find interesting that the soot load and DPF delta pressure are at 0. I'm not sure if that reading is accurate and will have to wait until it changes or a regen is initiated. If I'm not satisfied with the data I may look into replacing the pressure sensors across the DPF. I am still looking through ForScan for relevant outputs (any suggestions are appreciated).
3- Why I choose a fuel additive for this "experiment." In my opinion an additive is a must so I'm starting with something I already will use anyway. In relationship to this experiment, I'm more interested in the boost in cetane which should provide a more complete burn and help alleviate the soot burden on the DPF.

Notes:
when forscan calculates the avg regen distance, it included the current run. so when it regens again and the counter goes to zero that zero is included in the average calculation which brings down the number. I came to this conclusion because I noticed that the "DPF_REGN_AVGD" increased as the "DIST_LAST_DPF" increased. in future posts I will include the distance between the 2nd to last regen event and the last regen event.

Hope this can help someone. I have some plans for future post in the works now.

Ranch Hand Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_220839.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	716145  
jd4010, HeavyAssault and gypsees like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-15-2019, 03:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Looking forward to some of your test results. We all like real world data!
gypsees likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-26-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Had two regen events since the last post (I have done quite a bit of driving the last week and a half). I have found the displays for distances driven for the current and previous two regens. The 1st attached photo shows a regen in progress.
Pros:
I have seen progress since using the fuel treatment
Distance Traveled since last DPF regen: 481.6 mi
Distance Traveled between the last and 2nd to last DPF regen: 380 mi
Distance Traveled between the 2nd to last and 3rd to last DPF regen: 220.8 mi (This was before the fuel tank replacement)

Cons:
The regen status indication on forscan lite did not change to active during regen
Was less than 10 min from work when the regen began. I have found that the regen starts when DPF_SOOT_PCT_OL gets to 100%. I was focused on DPF_REGEN_PCT. So this is a learning I'll apply to future posts.

What I hope to gain for next post:
DPF_SOOT_PCT_OL only dropped to 37% at the end of regen. At the end of the regen prior to the last (the one that happened after 380 mi), the DPF_SOOT_PCT_OL went to 41%. I'll see of that will go lower by making sure that I am not close to home or work before a regen starts. This way I can make sure to remain at at steady speed during process and not have to stop early.
Additionally I have read of a way to pause the auto regen filter so that I can continue to drive home or work (if I'm close) without the regen starting. I am hesitant because I don't want to forget to re-enable it.

The 2nd attached photo is of when the regen stopped
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019.03.25.182535 - Screenshot_FORScan Lite.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	716801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190326_192050.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	500.3 KB
ID:	716803  
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the info.

I have ForScan, but don't use it for ReGen stuff. I've used ForScan to turn on the DPF status on the instrument cluster.

From what I've seen, I can't figure out how/why ReGen works the way it does. On more than one occasion, when the DPF was at 100%, the ReGen would start and lower it to 65%, then it would go back to 100% and restart the process. Sometimes I've seen it go down to 55%, then start again. Occasionally it empties the DPF to 0%, but not very often.

2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW 4X4 LB 6.7L
post #5 of 37 Old 03-28-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWoodhead View Post
Thanks for the info.

I have ForScan, but don't use it for ReGen stuff. I've used ForScan to turn on the DPF status on the instrument cluster.

From what I've seen, I can't figure out how/why ReGen works the way it does. On more than one occasion, when the DPF was at 100%, the ReGen would start and lower it to 65%, then it would go back to 100% and restart the process. Sometimes I've seen it go down to 55%, then start again. Occasionally it empties the DPF to 0%, but not very often.
This is one of the reasons why I started this thread. to get a better understanding of when regen happens. From what I have observed prior to this post, fuel type has some impact. When running b20 for lubricity I noticed more frequent regens. Driving habits also have an impact. I have noticed that highway and or loaded driving increases rgen distance.
I have a basic instrument cluster so I hope I am able to add DPF status with Forscan.

Also debating about going back to b20 for research sake
post #6 of 37 Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

This is the latest round of screenshots.
Photo 1: I used ForScan to allow me to disable the auto regen feature which is good for pausing regens until you are able to get to a place to do a complete regen. The truck will warn you that it's off each time you turn it on.
Photo 2: I was reassured that the warning for a regen from the truck coincides with 100% soot percentage (DPF_SOOT_PCT_OL)
Photo 3: The regen event prior was incomplete so I believe this is why the distance between this regen was 20 miles less than the previous one. This screenshot was taken at the beginning of the regen event and I was able to do a complete regen during highway driving.
Photo 4: explanation in the photo caption
Photo 5: explanation in the photo caption
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019.04.07.182417 - RegenTest.AutoregenSelection.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	717643   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.04.07.183009 - RegenTest.AutoregenSelection.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	717645   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.04.07.183420 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLite.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	717647   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.04.07.190138 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLite.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	717649   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.04.07.192037 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLite.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	717651  

post #7 of 37 Old 04-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I recently tuned my truck using EZ Lynk (emissions intact) and have been monitoring my gauges like crazy now (something new to look at I guess). I have a couple questions about the parameters themselves. What is the difference between the DPF Open Loop (OL) and Closed Loop (CL)? Secondly, what positions are the EGT sensors in? I have EGT 1 and EGT 2 on my screen. I chose the DPF OL and EGT 1 and 2 because they give me an idea of when I am in Regen, and seemed to be the highest numbers. I figured if I am keeping the highest numbers in check, my rig is running fine. Thanks for any information!
Ranch Hand Edition likes this.
post #8 of 37 Old 04-24-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

I have been trying to figure out what open and closed loop parameters mean. I am still researching but I have a general understanding of what they mean.

closed loop model: determines the soot loading state of the DPF based on the pressure drop and volumetric flow signals
open loop model: determines the DPF load based on engine operation or vehicle operation

The closed loop model uses feed back from physical sensors mounted in the exhaust stream to calculate soot load based on changes in (for example) flow and pressure. These have not been used as a primary means of calculating soot load because the pulsating nature of combustion creates dynamic the readings from the sensors.
The open loop model uses an algorithm that uses engine speed, fuel consumption, air flow, and ect to calculate how much soot is produced. This is a primary method to calculate soot load because the inputs are known and less variable (for example, fuel consumption, air flow and engine speed over a period of time can be relatively constant).

I am continuing to look into these parameters. Any help and direction is appreciated.

RHE
post #9 of 37 Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

2019-04-24-1020

These screenshots were taken during a trip from Charleston, SC to Clemson, SC to Orlando, FL then back to Charleston, SC. I was towing a 6500 lbs camper the entire time. I expected to extend the distances between regens since the engine was working harder and the EGTs were above 700 F or at least 370 C (I have read that 350 C is needed for passive regen) but this did not happen. I got about 100 miles less between regens. During one fill up I mistakenly pumped in bio diesel and got even less distance between regens. This confirms what I have read concerning the adverse affects of biodiesel on regen periods but to be certain I would have to repeat this "experiment" but I am not sure I want to do so. I refilled with #2 ULSD as soon as I could.
1 - I assume that speed may have contributed to the higher calculated soot load by the truck's soot load algorithm. During the next trip I will slow down a little.
2 - The energy density of bio diesel may be bit lower that #2 diesel which contributes to more fuel used and more calculated soot produced. I didn't notice a significant drop in fuel mileage that would suggest this so I will have to look into this as a contributing factor. The added lubricity of bio fuels are a result of more lubricants in the fuel and lubricants can produce soot. To factor this into the calculation the truck would have to know bio fuel is being used. This is possible because engines that can run regular and also E85 have sensors that detect E85 and the engine self adjusts to run the fuel. I will have to verify whether or not the 6.7 has the capability to differentiate bio diesel and #2 ULSD. When I find out I will refer to this post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019.04.12.055406 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLite.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	570.6 KB
ID:	717829   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.04.14.164829 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLite.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	717831   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.04.20.074138 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLite.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	717833  
post #10 of 37 Old 06-02-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

2019-06-02

My next main goals include shortening regen time and increasing mileage between regens when towing. I read in the 2011-2016 forum that FBCs can help. After some research I decided to try this and will be adding Better Diesel FBC to my additives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019.06.02.205806 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLiteFORScan Lite.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	719557   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.06.02.205726 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLiteFORScan Lite.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	719559   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.06.02.205705 - RegenTest.Screenshot.FORScanLite.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	719561  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in