General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I follow your thread but haven’t commented. I noticed an error in your thinking process which I wanted to point out. Your regen cycles mile interval will decrease when towing. You had a good point about higher EGTs but you did not account for the extra soot levels because of your engine working harder. For example, look at a deleted truck that puffs black smoke. You stomp on the go peddle and the amount of smoke drastically increases. Keep up the good work. 👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I should also mention my last few experiences with regens since I’ve done some long drives. My last 2 1000km drives I went into regen every 800km on the nose. My first regen process only lasted 24km (12min) 100% to zero. A day later, On my way back, my next regen cycle lasted 58km (29min) 100-0. I’m starting to think that the DPF % screen doesn’t accurately portray how full the filter is. In my situation, because I do mostly all highway driving right now, my DPF % screen hits 100% and starts a regen cycle at exactly 800km. Exactly!!! I know this is the factory preset distance for an active regen to kick in but you would think that the filter would fill up faster or slower due to certain driving conditions like wind and grades but nope, 800km and it regens. I must state that my drives are over 800km long with maybe one fuel stop and 2 towns to slow down through so I get a good test period. This has been tested about 10 times now and exactly 800km an active regen starts. There are more factors involved than just the actual filter being “100%” full. See where I’m going with this. I have forscan but have not monitored the soot levels while doing these trips. Just giving you my experience so you can adjust or skew your data or perspective as needed. Thanks man.
post #13 of 37 Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Delete the truck and you won't have to worry about all the regen non-sense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 Old 06-03-2019, 03:19 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,047 Times in 976 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
100% on the dash is no where near a completely full filter and you wouldn't want it to be. If that were the case, your exhaust would basically be clogged everytime a regen started. That would be very good for performance. I've heard it a few different ways, but I think you're only at maybe a third of the filter capacity when a regen is triggered.

Deleting is not a viable option for everyone @rcg270 .

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #15 of 37 Old 06-03-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch Hand Edition View Post
My next main goals include shortening regen time and increasing mileage between regens when towing. I read in the 2011-2016 forum that FBCs can help. After some research I decided to try this and will be adding Better Diesel FBC to my additives.
I have started reading up on Fuel Born Catalysts (FBC) since you brought it up. I know there are a bunch of fuel additives to run out there, but the more I look I find that none of them claim the lower the temp that soot will burn up. I understand that they are not making that claim because that's not the point of their product. I am also finding that it is mainly used on large trucks, as in Semis, I can't find any real world results on pick-ups like I can for the big rigs.

Do you plan on running the FBC exclusively? Or will you stack it with another additive. Personally I use Archoil, but could I stack this to get the added benefit of the lower EGT range for soot burn off? Or do you (or anyone) believe this is too much dilution and not enough fuel. Thanks for any insight!
post #16 of 37 Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
100% on the dash is no where near a completely full filter and you wouldn't want it to be. If that were the case, your exhaust would basically be clogged everytime a regen started. That would be very good for performance. I've heard it a few different ways, but I think you're only at maybe a third of the filter capacity when a regen is triggered.

Deleting is not a viable option for everyone @rcg270 .
I don’t want to hijack OPs thread but just wanted to do a quick reply to this. You are correct. 100% just activated regen. The truck can get up to 300% which is completely full. I’ve only seen a truck at 240% at the dealership.

If I was planning on keeping my truck for long term 7yr+, I would delete in a heartbeat. I mile my trucks out in about 4yrs so deleting is pointless for me. My last Dodge was deleted from day 1 and every oils change was clean oil draining out of the plug. Not black like a stock truck. Used to freak out the quick lube places. Lol
post #17 of 37 Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
I follow your thread but haven’t commented. I noticed an error in your thinking process which I wanted to point out. Your regen cycles mile interval will decrease when towing. You had a good point about higher EGTs but you did not account for the extra soot levels because of your engine working harder. For example, look at a deleted truck that puffs black smoke. You stomp on the go peddle and the amount of smoke drastically increases. Keep up the good work. 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
I should also mention my last few experiences with regens since I’ve done some long drives. My last 2 1000km drives I went into regen every 800km on the nose. My first regen process only lasted 24km (12min) 100% to zero. A day later, On my way back, my next regen cycle lasted 58km (29min) 100-0. I’m starting to think that the DPF % screen doesn’t accurately portray how full the filter is. In my situation, because I do mostly all highway driving right now, my DPF % screen hits 100% and starts a regen cycle at exactly 800km. Exactly!!! I know this is the factory preset distance for an active regen to kick in but you would think that the filter would fill up faster or slower due to certain driving conditions like wind and grades but nope, 800km and it regens. I must state that my drives are over 800km long with maybe one fuel stop and 2 towns to slow down through so I get a good test period. This has been tested about 10 times now and exactly 800km an active regen starts. There are more factors involved than just the actual filter being “100%” full. See where I’m going with this. I have forscan but have not monitored the soot levels while doing these trips. Just giving you my experience so you can adjust or skew your data or perspective as needed. Thanks man.
This is all good info and I will take it to the drawing board.
1. Harder working engine = more soot production. Still I hoped that the passive regen would have more of an impact but cant argue with data. I am curiuos about what the addition of an FBC will do.
2. I am curiuos. Do you use additives? Are your drives loaded or empty?
post #18 of 37 Old 06-04-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrdr600ho View Post
I have started reading up on Fuel Born Catalysts (FBC) since you brought it up. I know there are a bunch of fuel additives to run out there, but the more I look I find that none of them claim the lower the temp that soot will burn up. I understand that they are not making that claim because that's not the point of their product. I am also finding that it is mainly used on large trucks, as in Semis, I can't find any real world results on pick-ups like I can for the big rigs.

Do you plan on running the FBC exclusively? Or will you stack it with another additive. Personally I use Archoil, but could I stack this to get the added benefit of the lower EGT range for soot burn off? Or do you (or anyone) believe this is too much dilution and not enough fuel. Thanks for any insight!
I plan on running the FBC along with my current additive mixture. I spoke to a rep at Opti-Lube and the said several of their customers run Opti-Lube along with an FBC. The FBC just arrived today so just to make sure I'll mix a little in a container along with fuel and Opti-Lube and let it sit over night. As far as the issue of dilution goes, the FBC from Better Diesel only requires 1 oz per 25 gal so there should be on problem. I have no experience with Archoil but there is a thread in the 11-16 forum that mentions additives and FBCs (some have mixed FBCs with their regular additive). You may have to read a few pages to get your answer but it has useful info along the way.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...topics/1255474

And you're right about the research. There are some scientific journals that have some info but I am still in the process of going through some of them. And I do believe that FBCs are required in Europe but I have to verify that.
post #19 of 37 Old 06-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
This is great information however I believe the truck is going to regen on a mileage count. I have not payed attention but mine will once a tank regardless of what I have been doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 37 Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My drives are are empty drives. No trailer and very minimal payload. I do not use additives either. The mileage max is definitely what is causing these regens in my long haul situations. In winter (-20 to -35C) I turned auto regen off for my 8 1600km trips to see if the truck would give me a DPF warning and it never did. I did that 1600km trip straight 4 times and broke it up into 2 days the remaining 4 times. However, when I reached my destination, the next morning I would turn auto regen back on and within a couple hundred km, an active regen would kick in. Again, no dash warning or OCR prompt came up. The DPF screen always read 0% in the winter due to the cold. Other users have reported the same 0 reading. I came to the conclusion that passive regeneration was helping due to the amount of KMs travelled and absolutely no warnings. When I drive in the summer, I will get the dash prompts when my filter supposedly reaches 100% but like stated in my previous post, I believe the DPF % screen is just trying to match my mileage count rather than how full the filter actually is. I also assume fords theory on the mileage count max for regens is it’s basically easier to clean a half full filter than one that’s completely full. They are trying to save a normal operator from themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode