2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust brake questions

2018 F-350, I haven't towed anything yet but have been trying to figure out the exhaust brake. My experience in the past has been with a Banks IQ exhaust brake which has a multitude of functions and programmable parameters. I haven't gotten this new truck to respond when activating the brake, I get the notification it's on, a second push on the button says it's in automatic, third push it goes away, I assume it turns off.

When I have it active going downhill, letting off the throttle I do drop speed and I see the boost being generated, but how do I maintain my speed? The manual doesn't really explain the system very well. Do I need to be in tow/haul mode? What's the difference between automatic and manual? How do I get the vehicle to maintain speed going downhill, does the cruise control need to be on?

I have a new Carbon toy hauler ready for action when winter ends and would like to be up to speed (no pun intended...) when the time comes. It just seems to me like nothing is happening. With the Banks brake you know immediately when you've exceeded your set speed, etc., it flat pulls you down.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Iím with you on Fordís exhaust brake. On a Cummins/Ram, you notice it immediately when you let off the accelerator. When you press the exhaust brake button once, itís in manual mode and functions when you take your foot off the accelerator. If you push the button twice, itís in automatic mode, and will hold the speed youíre driving at until you take your foot of the accelerator and it will maintain that speed. Personally, it seems like tow/haul mode does a better job than the exhaust brake. At least, thatís my experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta Advantage For This Useful Post:
larrymul (02-09-2019)
post #3 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Garage
I wish mine had exhaust brakes. Loved those things on the big rigs when i drove them.

But here in Portland, and i think pretty much everywhere, you can't use them without risky a ticket in residential areas.

When did Ford start putting them on trucks? And which trucks?

2007 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4. Lots of upgrades, but not enough. It's tall, too tall. Yes, I'm obviously compensating for something.

UPGRADES:
EGR Delete, RedHead Steering Gear, Blue Spring Upgrade, ARP Studs, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Coolant Filter, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Blue Intercooler Pipe and Elbow Upgrade, Cold Air Intake, One-Up Offroad Traction Bars, XD Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" Tires, LED Lights all around, 2013 Tailgate, 2008+ Power Mirrors, Pro-Comp XXX Dual Front Coilover Suspension, Custom Bedliner Sprayed Rocker Panels and Fender Flares, Amerihood Tpe E-Style Ram Air/Heat Extraction Hood, CompuStar Alarm with Remote Windows, Remote Start, and much more!
More upgrades to come, including Singer Alternator, and other engine upgrades.

NEW Custom Bumpers with Tire Carrier! Dual Winches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Falcon- View Post
I wish mine had exhaust brakes. Loved those things on the big rigs when i drove them.

But here in Portland, and i think pretty much everywhere, you can't use them without risky a ticket in residential areas.

When did Ford start putting them on trucks? And which trucks?
This exhaust brake isnít like a true Jake Brake or engine retarder. It is pretty quiet and youíd be hard pressed to know itís on. Believe it was 2015 when Ford put the button in the trucks with the PSD.
HeavyAssault likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta Advantage For This Useful Post:
larrymul (02-09-2019)
post #5 of 14 Old 02-09-2019, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I use mine sparingly because it isnt in my routine yet. When hauling my 5th wheel it seems to do well when slowing coming off a ramp on the highway. Other than that its hit or miss when it seems to be working.

Sometimes it seems to work when the switch isnt even on but I think thats the computer doing something else. It was recommended on the Jayco forum to just turn it to Auto all the time and let it do its thing. But I seem to only use it when towing the 5er. I dont know what the difference from manual to auto is. To me they seem the exact same and I see no difference when using them.

FWIW I used to live right next to a very busy highway with one of those 40' high walls behind my old house. We lived in a very flat part of the country where a Jake Brake wasnt necessary. The trucks getting off the highway used those Jake Brakes all night long. Real PITA when the weather was nice and you had the windows open and you got woke up to hearing Dat-Dat-Dat-Dat every 30 minutes all night long. I wish the Police in that area would have been writing tickets! So glad I moved from there.......bad sleeping memories!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Smyth For This Useful Post:
larrymul (02-09-2019)
post #6 of 14 Old 02-09-2019, 04:56 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
When I have it active going downhill, letting off the throttle I do drop speed and I see the boost being generated, but how do I maintain my speed?

2018 Owner's Manual guidance directly gives the answer: Pg 226

Note: If your vehicle has Adaptive Cruise
Control, the speed control system uses the
selected engine brake mode, transmission
gears, and brakes to maintain the set speed
and distance to the vehicle being followed.
Automatic Engine Braking
1. Press the button twice to switch on
automatic engine braking.

2. Release the accelerator or brake pedal.
The system remembers your vehicle
speed.

Note: This feature offers smoother, less
aggressive engine braking during downhill
descents. It may not apply braking if the
vehicle speed is not increasing, although it
will apply full engine braking force when
needed to prevent acceleration. The system
automatically activates the engine brake
and, if necessary, downshifts the
transmission to lower gears to not exceed
your vehicle's set speed when the brake or
accelerator were last released.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyAssault For This Useful Post:
larrymul (02-09-2019)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymul View Post
2018 F-350, I haven't towed anything yet but have been trying to figure out the exhaust brake. My experience in the past has been with a Banks IQ exhaust brake which has a multitude of functions and programmable parameters. I haven't gotten this new truck to respond when activating the brake, I get the notification it's on, a second push on the button says it's in automatic, third push it goes away, I assume it turns off.

When I have it active going downhill, letting off the throttle I do drop speed and I see the boost being generated, but how do I maintain my speed? The manual doesn't really explain the system very well. Do I need to be in tow/haul mode? What's the difference between automatic and manual? How do I get the vehicle to maintain speed going downhill, does the cruise control need to be on?

I have a new Carbon toy hauler ready for action when winter ends and would like to be up to speed (no pun intended...) when the time comes. It just seems to me like nothing is happening. With the Banks brake you know immediately when you've exceeded your set speed, etc., it flat pulls you down.

Thanks!
Hey bud you need to be in tow haul to be effective. In essence the exhaust brake canít be effective if your in overdrive so it needs to work in conjunction with controlled downshifts only commanded in tow haul. There really should be no reason to be running engine brake when not towing and in tow haul mode. The system works very well in tow haul. Plenty capable of giving breaks a chance to cool or avoid overheating and fade. Again the system is designed to supplement your brakes not replace them. Break pads are Cheap and disposable where I plan to keep my engine around a bit so I let them share the load versus asking the engine to hold/slow it all. Once you get your trailer in and are in tow haul mode, youíll see itís pretty effective. I leave it in auto most times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
19 F450. Hauls my toys. Dumont regular

Build thread:

Truck pics on IG @ Jetjock15

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
The Following User Says Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
larrymul (02-09-2019)
post #8 of 14 Old 02-09-2019, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,047 Times in 976 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The exhaust brake works pretty well in normal mode too. I use it sometimes in stop and go type traffic to keep from having to use the brakes as much. I'm sure it does a better job in T/H though, especially in situations it was actually designed for.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
The Following User Says Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
larrymul (02-09-2019)
post #9 of 14 Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for all of this input. I have searched the forum and located a few threads on the subject.

HeavyAssault, I have read the owner's manual, just looking for something a little more informative from real time users, but thanks for the reminder, I've been going over the manual pretty thoroughly.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode