• 1 Post By Kryptic_361

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Just a Husband and Dad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Plugged in versus Not Plugged In -

All. I performed a very unscientific test of plugging in the engine block heater and not plugging it in for two nights in a row. The overnight temps were in the low twenties and almost identical. Just wanted to throw some fuel and perspective on the debate.

HeavyAssault and Kryptic_361 like this.

2018 F-250 Lariat Ultimate Stock for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 03:16 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Coming out of the older motors I'd say a block heater helps much more with cold starts. After the last few years with my 6.7L it seems to not "need" the block heater use to help with early morning starts. My experiences say we need a transmission pan heater over a engine block heater. Maybe 2020?? LOL

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #3 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 03:30 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
I've found that the block heater isn't necessary down to at least zero. Both of my 6.7s have started very well in cold weather. They naturally turn a bit slow when its in the single digits.
Now, my 7.3... Where did my wife hide that extension cord?

2019 Raptor
2001 F250 Platinum Edition, 7.3, Automatic, Superchips tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
How long was it plugged in? i have my 7.3 on a timer for 1.5 hours and it starts like a summer day down to 20 degrees. below that takes a little more effort from the starter.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,070 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FYI, you can add the digital temp above coolant gauge with a few keystrokes in Forscan. Similar to the DTE line above the fuel gauge.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
honestly to me this is one of the better tests showing plugged in vs not. Sure people wil argue temp, driving habit, blah blah blah. but in reality it showed that with the engine plugged in that it wasnt working as hard to maintain the speeds that you were traveling.

honestly this would be cool to test with the older trucks as well. i may have to do this with my 6.0L if texas ever decides to get cold and stay cold longer than 5 hours
auburnalum likes this.

Colin
06 Ram 3500 4x4 24v CR Cummins with some goodies
"dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians"
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Just a Husband and Dad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin7.3 View Post
honestly to me this is one of the better tests showing plugged in vs not. Sure people wil argue temp, driving habit, blah blah blah. but in reality it showed that with the engine plugged in that it wasnt working as hard to maintain the speeds that you were traveling.

honestly this would be cool to test with the older trucks as well. i may have to do this with my 6.0L if texas ever decides to get cold and stay cold longer than 5 hours
Thank you very much! Yes, I wanted to show if the engine was more efficient/working harder if being plugged in. I plugged it in the night before so 6+ hours plugged in on 22-23 degree nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
FYI, you can add the digital temp above coolant gauge with a few keystrokes in Forscan. Similar to the DTE line above the fuel gauge.
Thank you. I have been meaning to set it up that way, I honestly have just been procrastinating.

2018 F-250 Lariat Ultimate Stock for now

post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard/read on several occasions over the years where engine manufacturers n motor oil producers had determined that sumthin like 70-80% of engine wear comes from cold starts. I'm not a scientist n I haven't dun any of the studies, so I can't tell u that it's 100% true. But when the temps get down in the single digits n my pickups are plugged in, the 7.3 reads 68 oil temp n the 6.7 reads 39 oil temp, I kno things are nice n toasty under the hood. N I am fully aware that the oil in the pan is not that warm, but the oil on most of the bearings is probably close. Maybe I'm just OCD, but if its below freezin I'm plugged in

1999 xltF350 CC Dually, 6spd, rebuilt 7.3 with FFD 160/30s, 38R w/ WW2, ARP studs, Comp 910's, bellowed up-pipes, T500, DIY regulated return fuel, 6637 intake, 4 in. turbo back ex. w/ EBPV delete, coolant filter, Edge Insight CTS, PHP hydra with PHP & TW tunes, Southbend Clutch, CCV mod
post #9 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 PM
SUCK SQUEEZE BANG BOOM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Just cuz the engine starts don't mean it's happy starting when not plugged in. How long does it take to get oil to the turbo. Check out your fuel pulse width and timing. Over fueling causes more oil dilution. In Canada the 6.7's have a habit of spinning the main bearings and grenading turbos when started cold. Save fuel and protect your engine. PLUG THE GODDAMN THING IN!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine block heater , plugged in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode