5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winterizer / Antigel needed?

I live in Northwest Indiana and have always used PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement Winterizer/Antigel in the past during cold weather. The instruction manual on the new truck says Diesel Fuel is adjusted seasonally for cold temperatures by the gas station, so no additives should be needed. Question is does anybody trust the fuel from gas stations to not gel up in really cold weather, or are you still adding winterizer to your fuel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 F350 View Post
I live in Northwest Indiana and have always used PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement Winterizer/Antigel in the past during cold weather. The instruction manual on the new truck says Diesel Fuel is adjusted seasonally for cold temperatures by the gas station, so no additives should be needed. Question is does anybody trust the fuel from gas stations to not gel up in really cold weather, or are you still adding winterizer to your fuel?

I’ve never used any additives in any of my Fords. Never had an issue. Not bashing, in central Wisconsin, it’s gets pretty brutal, just lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I have used the Power Service silver bottle additive in summer and white bottle winter additive in winter for many years. I add the winter blend when temps are below 10 degrees f overnight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
My truck gelled up last year even with additives... I live in MN and don't trust anything that comes out of the pump to be properly treated during the winter.

If you live anywhere that gets well below 0 it honestly isn't worth the hassle to not use an additive.
nighthawk285, SparkyF250 and Hydro like this.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Do the 2017's + have a fuel heater? I know the DEF tanks do but wasn't sure about the fuel side. If my memory is correct, my 6.0 had a fuel heater but not sure if that was brought forward in the newer models.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I use additive for the lubrication and demulsifier. I have never had an issue with gelling. But it only gets into the teens here.
SparkyF250 likes this.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold—2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Do the 2017's + have a fuel heater? I know the DEF tanks do but wasn't sure about the fuel side. If my memory is correct, my 6.0 had a fuel heater but not sure if that was brought forward in the newer models.
The 6.7L engine push fuel thru the Common rail and all excess goes back to the tank and re-circulates. This process heats the fuel and keeps the fuel in the tank and fuel lines warm while driving in cold weather.

If you never shut your engine off. The fuel would always stay warm and never gel.
The problem comes when you shut the engine down and let the truck Cold Soak.
When the fuel gets below 0° then you need a winterized fuel and can hope the refinery did the job or add your own anti-gel to make sure.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
From the 2011 6.7L Coffee Table Book Things might have changed for 2017 and newer, But gives you a general idea

"A fuel cooler is located on the left frame rail foward of the DFCM. The black fuel line is used for fuel return from the engine to the cooler. The gray fuel line returns fuel from the cooler to th DFCM. Depending on the temperature of the fuel from the injectors, the fuel cooler can be used to cool or heat the fuel going back the DFCM. The powertrain secondary cooling system provides the coolant for the fuel cooler."
ekimv65 likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-13-2018, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
IMHO, an anti gel is not NORMALLY needed. Sure, the fuel is treated for your region. Thing is, when sudden extremes happen then you are SOL.
I remember at least 2 times in the mid atlantic region there were cold spells that left us in the 20's for highs. That is not typical of the area. That posed a problem for some folks, especially in higher elevations where the lows fell to single digits.
I'll keep using an additive. More so because my rig will sit for a few days at a time. Dropping an additive in is not as much of a bother as a truck that wont start.
Edit- good read:
https://www.fuelsnews.com/diesel-tanks-gelling-winter/

Last edited by The Evil Twin; 11-13-2018 at 05:44 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I use the Stanadyne performance additive. Went up to Plattsburgh (near Canadian border) a few years ago. 10 below. Fuel system totally gelled. Now I use the Ford antigel when it gets below 10 degrees. no problems since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode