12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 09-21-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th Wheel Towing Question

I have a '17 F250 Powerstroke 3.55 axle CC and I am moving up from a TT to a 5th Wheel. Only to find out my payload is 2000#. Am i crazy for trying to match a 10,000# GVR/2,000# payload with a Cougar 368mbi 12,000# dryweight with 2,000# pin weight? I was surprised to find many folks said it would be fine, but the numbers put me over. GCWV is 23,500# i think.
I figured id ask the experts on here for help. Love my truck, but wish the payload was a little more.

Thanks,
KC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Garage
I like to tell people not to look at dry weights. About the only time you tow dry-ish...is when you pull it off the lot. When it's "RV Trip Ready," it won't be dry. General rule of thumb is a 5er has up to 20% king pin weight. The only way to accurately know what you're towing is to weigh it at a scale.

What does your owners manual say is the GCW for your truck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
post #3 of 50 Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
Well it all depends on if you want to be legal or not. I'd say you are good no problem but if you are trying to be legal that is a totally different story.
zin01 likes this.

180/30s,KC38R, CNC Fab Stg 2 HPOP, Sump, Walbro, Donaldson 6637, Leveled, 4'' straight to 7'' tip, 08 mirrors, 6.0 front end ect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 09-21-2018, 03:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwave80 View Post
I have a '17 F250 Powerstroke 3.55 axle CC and I am moving up from a TT to a 5th Wheel. Only to find out my payload is 2000#. Am i crazy for trying to match a 10,000# GVR/2,000# payload with a Cougar 368mbi 12,000# dryweight with 2,000# pin weight? I was surprised to find many folks said it would be fine, but the numbers put me over. GCWV is 23,500# i think.
I figured id ask the experts on here for help. Love my truck, but wish the payload was a little more.

Thanks,
KC
Many folks say lots of things are fine. Overloading a truck with your family and a 5th wheel is never a good idea. Your owners manual will show your trucks specs and how to find it GCVW. its usually a chart that you match your trucks configuration to and it tells you. Its not wise to exceed that. I am cautious but I would subtract 2,000lb from the max when you look at trailers. like Supercruty said your trailer will never by at its (dryweight) again most likely.

With water, supplies, solar, and people its not hard to exceed 1500-2000lb if you bring a generator, bikes, grill, and stuff.

*If insurance claim is made and your truck is overloaded by sticker weight almost always they will deny it. adding air bags, higher rated hitch, timbrens are helpful but they do not increase the gcvw for insurance and dot.

*some states have even more strict than the general 26,001 rule EVERYONE mentions but never understands... for example in CA if your 5th wheel (true 5th wheel) weighs over 15k you need a non commercial tag added to your regular drivers license. PLUS if your flatbed or hauling trailer has a capacity of 10k or more you need a commercial flat out. *minor exceptions for ag within 150 miles and stuff.

Check your local regulations but always subtract 1500-2000lb from your max and grab a trailer that way and you're almost always in good shape

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #5 of 50 Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
Many folks say lots of things are fine. Overloading a truck with your family and a 5th wheel is never a good idea. Your owners manual will show your trucks specs and how to find it GCVW. its usually a chart that you match your trucks configuration to and it tells you. Its not wise to exceed that. I am cautious but I would subtract 2,000lb from the max when you look at trailers. like Supercruty said your trailer will never by at its (dryweight) again most likely.

With water, supplies, solar, and people its not hard to exceed 1500-2000lb if you bring a generator, bikes, grill, and stuff.

*If insurance claim is made and your truck is overloaded by sticker weight almost always they will deny it. adding air bags, higher rated hitch, timbrens are helpful but they do not increase the gcvw for insurance and dot.

*some states have even more strict than the general 26,001 rule EVERYONE mentions but never understands... for example in CA if your 5th wheel (true 5th wheel) weighs over 15k you need a non commercial tag added to your regular drivers license. PLUS if your flatbed or hauling trailer has a capacity of 10k or more you need a commercial flat out. *minor exceptions for ag within 150 miles and stuff.

Check your local regulations but always subtract 1500-2000lb from your max and grab a trailer that way and you're almost always in good shape
So often quoted but never, ever, substantiated. Post one instance of a denied insurance claim. The door sticker sicker is “manufacturer recommended weights” Ford don’t make laws only suggestions. Fine to a have a flawed opinion but posting it as fact is a fowl. Difference in 250/350/450 is springs, gears, brakes so ya, bigger is better and safer, but can it be done, sure.

OP, at least your educating yourself, kuddos. Can your truck handle it, yes. Would a dually be safer? Always. Will you be breaking any laws? No.

As mentioned CA is trying to get people over 26k to get an endorsement but as far as I know they don’t care what truck you drive, they just want the $$$

19 F450

I’ve owned previous vehicles but I won’t waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you don’t care
post #6 of 50 Old 09-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I did a short stint for Caterpillar right after leaving the Air Force in California in 2014. Newer driver had a F350, 10k trailer, mini ex, attachments, and more. Failed to stop and busted two cars at a 4 way.

Was an 06 F350 drw fairly well maintained, adjusted trailer brakes, controller set up etc. was 4K over weight according to research on all equipment and specs. Claim denied because their was evidence the driver knew he was over and had done it intentionally numerous times in the past after an investigation on trucks delivery logs. Yes it was a rear end but they mentioned exceeding manufacturers recommended capabilities and more. Led to a bunch of restraining for all drivers, yard, dispatch etc.

So fact of the matter is an insurance company can deny when a vehicle is overloaded. I’m well aware that the chassis is nearly identical on the 250/350 and very similar to 450+. Ford don’t make the laws but when someone knowingly and numerously exceeds “manufacturer recommendations insurance has every right to deny the claim generally speaking. There are always more variebles but it happens to Cat in the short time I was with them. So it can happen to private drivers too.

I may come off as overly cautious but when someone is new to hauling 5th wheels it’s a good idea to be extra careful until they have miles.
mhatlen likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 50 Old 09-22-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just checked the Owners Manual. 6.7L Diesel 3.55Axl w/Tow Package, GCWR= 25,700#s Based on my estimates I will be under this weight even when i load up my 5th Wheel. Does this GCWR make it safer?
backhoebill likes this.
post #8 of 50 Old 09-22-2018, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
I like to tell people not to look at dry weights. About the only time you tow dry-ish...is when you pull it off the lot. When it's "RV Trip Ready," it won't be dry. General rule of thumb is a 5er has up to 20% king pin weight. The only way to accurately know what you're towing is to weigh it at a scale.

What does your owners manual say is the GCW for your truck?

My Owners Manual says 6.7L 3.55axl with Tow Package GCWR=25,700#s This will make everything even when loaded under the GCWR, right?
post #9 of 50 Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
I’m guessing you will be under the 25,700 GCWR but you may be over the GVWR of 10,000.
Boudah likes this.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold—2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletusjermal For This Useful Post:
kcwave80 (09-28-2018)
post #10 of 50 Old 09-22-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 722 Post(s)
Quoted: 4009 Post(s)
so you're saying the insurance wouldn't pay for the accident because the driver was heavy? you know they had to pay for the other cars damage ?
can't just say sorry about your car but our client broke a rule and you're not getting paid.

your insurance company would spend less to pay out then drop you then prove the weight was the contributing factor IMO

if this was the case a lot of insurance claims could be denied for DUI,Tired,wearing flipflops,having a cat in the cab ,drinking hot coffee
ETC can all be willing desicions that cause an accident
zin01 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode