General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 Old 08-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
65lbs is the magic number. Others with the same setup feel the same way. My pin weight is 4000 lb?
Don't get firestone air bags. Mine leaked with the rv attached. They deflated and rubbed the tire putting a hole in them.
I replaced them with Air lift load lifter 5000s with the built inn bounce bumper to prevent damage if they deflate. They are mounted much further in so they don't come near the tire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 08-27-2018, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimv65 View Post
Any specific Fox you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought them from stage 3 motorsports. You don't need piggy backs unless your offroading. I have icon on the front. Call them and ask which are better. My guess is icon which are actually cheaper. Remember do not get firestone bags. Inferior design and they are horrible to deal with for warranty or return. I had to threaten them to return them.

ekimv65 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 355spider For This Useful Post:
ekimv65 (08-27-2018)
post #23 of 28 Old 08-27-2018, 03:55 PM

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey Zmann, I found the Rancho 999042, would you do all 4 corners? Thanks

I can't comment on your part # since I am lifted but I would absolutely do all 4 corners and with a lifetime warranty you much better with them than some "sticker brand" with a one year warranty and a ship back on your dime policy

I also recommend buying from a local shop to avoid shipping downtime if you ever have an issue ( Desert Rat for me )

Don't let the Ford Branded Rancho quality sway your opinion on the actual Rancho mfg shocks I have had mine on for many years and 100,000 miles on my 81 i have had the adjustable 7000's ( pre 9000) for decades without issues

these really work well and you can tell a difference when you set them ( you likely won't adjust the front for hauling but you may find a setting you like better than your daily drive )

I have had Firestone and Airlift bags I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite but if you do Airlift and the wireless one compressor they were extending the bag warranty either way the wireless one is a great add on
ekimv65 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZMANN For This Useful Post:
ekimv65 (08-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 Old 08-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355spider View Post
Don't get firestone air bags. Mine leaked with the rv attached. They deflated and rubbed the tire putting a hole in them.
That's a bummer. I'm on my 2nd installation of the Firestone's (first was my 2004 and now the 2017) and I've been very pleased so far. I can keep the camper hooked to the truck for weeks an not lose any air. But then again, my pin weight is around 3200#s.
post #25 of 28 Old 08-28-2018, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
That's a bummer. I'm on my 2nd installation of the Firestone's (first was my 2004 and now the 2017) and I've been very pleased so far. I can keep the camper hooked to the truck for weeks an not lose any air. But then again, my pin weight is around 3200#s.
I think they work well for most people. In my instance they didn't due to the lack of internal bumpstop. If they deflate, which I think is rare they can be torn up pretty quickly with an rv attached. My were toast and they were only towed 5 miles with no air. It was very quick. They didn't believe me when I called. Said it wasn't possible until I shows them pictures. Then they would not warranty it.

post #26 of 28 Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
@ekimv65 :

With an F-350, single rear wheel, 172" wheel base truck with 6.7L (4x2 or 4x4) you are over weight and do not have a properly configured truck, for the pin and loaded weight of your fifth wheel, in order to safely tow your 5ver you need a DRW truck, and you may need to step up to an F-450 (if you stick with Ford). The maximum fifth wheel trailer weight that Ford lists includes the weight of the trailer loaded with cargo (water, holding tank levels, camping gear, food, etc...) passengers, and anything else that's loaded in the truck reduces the maximum trailer weight that you can tow. Maximum weights listed take into consideration the weight of the loaded trailer, the truck and any passengers and cargo loaded in the truck.

The following is taken from the 2017 RV & TRAILER TRAILER TOWING SELECTOR Towing Guide | pages 23 & 24, page 25 lists the same information for DRW trucks and the maximum weights are significantly higher than what a SRW truck can safely tow and is rated for.

Your best bet is to sit down with someone at your local Ford dealer and have them break out the books for every standard and optional item for everything that will be in the truck you need to have, to safely tow the fifth wheel you have.

Automatic Transmission, CREW CAB, 176" wheel base, 8' bed, SRW Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (lbs.)

Axle GCWR WB 4x2 176" WB 4x4 176"
Engine Ratio (lbs.) 8' Box
6.7L V8

4x2-Axle Ratio: 3.31 GCWR 28,700 lbs, maximum loaded trailer weight: 20,800 lbs (4)(5)
4x4-Axle Ratio: 3.31 GCWR 28,700 lbs, maximum loaded trailer weight: 20,400 lbs (1)(2)(4)
4x2-Axle Ratio: 3.55 GCWR 28,700 lbs, maximum loaded trailer weight: 20,800 lbs (4)(5)
4x4-Axle Ratio: 3.55 GCWR 28,700 lbs. maximum loaded trailer weight: 20,400 lbs (1)(2)(4)

(1) 18" Tires. (2) 20" Tires. (3) Optional 10,000-lb. GVWR Package (68D). (4) Gooseneck tow rating shown. 5th-wheel tow rating limited to 5th-wheel hitch rating of 18,000 lbs. (5) 17" Tires.

Note: Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will
accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel
towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.
F-350 SRW SUPER DUTYģ PICKUPS 5th-WHEEL/GOOSENECK TOWING

REVISED 10.18.16
The URL for the pdf file is: (www) fleet.ford.com/towing-guides
post #27 of 28 Old 09-01-2018, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Hey all,

I have a 17 F350 with fifth package and a super slider by Reese. We just bought a new camper and pin weight is about 4200#, I did notice with it loaded, she bounced pretty bad on the ride to camp ground, don’t know if an air bag set up would be a good idea?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Least you got some opinions already but to your question, “bounce” is controlled by the shocks. Some folks gave some good recommendations but if it still bounces than you need “more” shock, which means wider 2.0/2.5/3.0. Im going with fox 2.5s on my f450 to control my trailer, which can be 25k fully loaded. I’m not a fan of airbags nor are the big three who engineer these trucks, but to each his own, bags are a proven design in some applications. I agree with Zman, it they won’t help with “bounce”.
ekimv65 likes this.

19 F450

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care

Last edited by jetjock15; 09-01-2018 at 09:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
ekimv65 (09-04-2018)
post #28 of 28 Old 09-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After towing with my new air ride bags I can say without a doubt they are better than firestone. I experienced far less chucking with them at the same psi than I did with the firestone air bags. When unloaded they are less harsh as well. It's hard to believe moving the bags inward on the rear end can make such a difference but it did. I highly recommend them over firestone bags.

ekimv65 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode