I ran my 6.7 out of fuel today like an idiot.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

4Likes
  • 1 Post By F250_SUPER_4x4
  • 1 Post By HeavyAssault
  • 1 Post By nondem
  • 1 Post By Painted Horse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-11-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I ran my 6.7 out of fuel today like an idiot....

It was showing about 1/8th of a tank above the red - the miles to empty was still showing 25 when my truck stalled out. I tried cranking it one time after seeing the gauge still showed above E and it started but stumbled and rattled loudly so I shut it back down immediately(1-2 seconds tops).

I correctly deduced that it was likely fuel and got a jerry-can of diesel put in it, then did a couple of key-on cycles of about 10 seconds to let the low pressure pump get primed good. It started right up and has ran perfectly since(10ish miles in town so far).

I was actually about three blocks from my normal-respectable fuel-station which is where I was headed - I don't normally let it get below a quarter tank but I don't trust the podunk stations which I had just driven past. I wish I had now.
I'm concerned that I might have taken some life out of my HP fuel pump or done some other damage that might not show right away.

I do have some things going for me...
The truck has less than 5k miles on it so there shouldn't be a ton of gunk in the tank yet.
I actually drained the water separator 2 days ago - it didn't have any water in it to speak of to possibly be sucked out(I'm not sure it would anyway).
I had a liberal-dose of Stanadyne Performance additive in the fuel that it ran out on...it has the lubricity additive.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd love to feel better about it.

At least I now know that the gauge isn't correct on the low end - I expected a 48 gallon tank to have a few gallons as long as it was above E. I'll treat the quarter-tank mark as empty from now on of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 AM
"RLTW" Tennessee

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Your truck should be fine, since you are using Standyne I would check the separator again for water since Standyne is a demulsifier and you may have sucked up some of the water that will pool at the bottom of the tank. Only 5000 miles, ~10 fuel ups, there shouldnt be much water at all if any since you go to a good fuel retailer
HeavyAssault likes this.

1974 F100 RC 351W/C4
1978 F250 Super Cab 400/C6
2015 F250 PSD CC KR 408/6R140
2017 Harley Ultra Limited 107/6SPD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2018, 01:05 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What happens when you change the fuel filters? No worries at all. Just do the key cycles until you hear the pump is primed. After that DO NOT make running low a reoccurring habit. LOL
mhatlen likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-11-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks to both of you for making me feel better and sorry to in general to seem overly concerned and whiney with some of my previous questions.
I've got a lot invested in this truck obviously and have been trying to do my best to baby and take care of it.
It really urked the hell out of me that this happened. I was stalled in heavy city traffic standing there putting fuel in like so many people I looked down my nose at before - thinking they were too cheap to keep fuel in their vehicle.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Every time you change Fuel Filters, Your truck goes thru this

KoKo and you are good to go, Unlike the old days of having to crack all your injectors open.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Unlike the old days of having to crack all your injectors open.
Great....just great. Now you tell me this!!!!!! Would have saved me countless hours finding these injectors and going thru the process to purge each line when I changed my filters.

LOL. Sorry....couldn't resist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode