LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 Old 06-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkreege View Post
Last note on this install...There is a very small area where you can place the bolt without the nut/head interfering with other parts of the lower mount weldment. I had ran the bags on the truck with stock suspension for several thousand miles, so I had a nice imprint of the bag on the lower mount to use when centering up the Daystar cup. I'd suggest installing the bag to the lower mount and tracing the footprint so you have a point of reference to work from when positioning the Daystar cup prior to drilling.

So I'm in the process doing this exact install, Airlift 5000 Ultimate with Daystar cradles, 2012 F350. The Airlift mounts are what they are calling 2nd generation, the lower mount plate is 1 piece, with the bent tabs that uses a u-bolt around the spring block, instead of "L" brackets and bolts.

Nothing has been mounted yet, just doing prep work beforehand so I can install this weekend. I assembled the bag and lower mount, marked where it sat, then used that for placement on the Daystar cradle. It partially covers the nut for the lower bracket cup mount and also the head of one of the long carriage bolts. So, as it wasn't covering much, I just took a router and made some clearance recesses in the edge of the Daystar cradle and it now sits flat. Now the problem though, is the lower bracket cup that everything sits on hits the Daystar cradle bolt. To make it fit, I'd have to move the cradle out almost an inch (won't know for sure until I start fitting it all on the truck).

Anyone else run into this? Do I just move the cup out till it clears, which might have the bag sitting awkward in the cradle, or maybe grind off the the end of the bracket cups to make them fit. I could also make new bolt holes through the cradle, recess them for the bolt head(s) to sit below the surface.

Hoping those wiser than me might share some knowledge.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 06-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,783 Posts
Mentioned: 711 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
you want the cradle centered so if the bag pulls away from the cradle it will land properly
if it lands on the side of the cradle it could get messy

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Exactly. I'll get things on the truck and see where everything lands. Can always stay with the standard bottom cups instead of the Daystar

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 PM

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,783 Posts
Mentioned: 711 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
you probably know this but you dont have to use the center bolt for the daystar you can get creative or even make another platform
above the base

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode