• 2 Post By CrazyS0b
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Unread 12-01-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winter Warm Up

I live in a pretty mild climate - but it seems when the ambient temps drop below room temperature (and particularly below 45-50F, it can take 20+ minutes of highway driving before my truck reaches operating temp.

This is not ideal, as many of my weekday trips are within 15-20 minutes (city and some highway) - which means I'm either less than or just getting to operating temps as I reach my destination.

I do take longer highway trips periodically/weekly, to see family and venture out and such, but my normal routine are these relatively short trips.

I figured I can't be the only one with this situation, but I realize these diesels produce a lot of soot at sub-optimal temps - and this can create some downstream issues.

I'm running Opti-Lube (just switched from PowerService) at each fill up, and I always let the exhaust filter regen complete before I park it (unless it's completely unavoidable). I also follow the manual on severe duty operation (oil change interval and such).

I still have a factory warranty on the drivetrain, so I'm not sure how they look at things like the bypass oil filters add, and such.

Anyways, - I wanted to see if others have similar situations (maybe in colder climates) and if there are other operational/maintenance/preventative tips you guys may have - or if there's really nothing much to worry about here.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Unread 12-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
the 6.7 is slow to warm up when it gets chilly outside. Your described operation is normal however less than ideal...my truck rarely gets up to temp in the texas "winters" and I've not really had a problem with it.

A bypass oil filter could be nice but is probably overkill. Just change the oil every 5k or a little less if it makes you feel better...and run it.

When it gets into the 30s I do let it idle a few minutes before I gently take off just to get the 15w40 molasses moving.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list
post #3 of 10 Unread 12-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Could always plug it in. Warms up a little faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Unread 12-02-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneops View Post
Could always plug it in. Warms up a little faster.
That is what I do. Truck gets the engine oil up to temp on a 20 minute drive. Trans comes close depending on traffic. If I see 160 there I am happy.
HeavyAssault likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #5 of 10 Unread 12-02-2019, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
I guess I could explain my temps.

On a 35 morning(really the coldest it gets here), all fluids are around ambient. I'll let it idle 5 minutes or so before taking off, fluids at 60 or so, trans a ways behind. I'll drive my 2-8 miles to where I'm going thru the week, EOT no hotter than 140 and ECT no greater than 160 if that. Shut down, cold soak for about 8-10 hours, repeat.

Now on the weekends, I do tend to run the highways for extended stretches and everything warms up then. When it's in the 30's, the 1st thermostat cycles in and out on the primary cooling loop, maintaining 176-183 on the water. EOT usually 5-8 degrees higher. Trans just warms up until it hits the 190's and hovers around there like it is supposed to when unloaded, although in the cold it will take 20 or so miles to get there on the HWY from an ambient start. By HWY I mean 75-80 mph.

It's not great to short trip a modern diesel with emissions on it like I do, but I have for 200k and I don't have any problems. I even get lazy sometimes and don't let the DPF burn all the way out. I was obsessed with "perfectionist driving" with a modern emissions diesel when I first got the truck; now I just drive it like I would any other truck....and quite honestly, I expect that out of a vehicle at this point, emissions or not. Burn it out on the highway once or twice a month, if the cards fall in favor. These motors are pretty resilient...I'm not too worried about it anymore. Just drive it and enjoy it.

Yes, I do hate doing 300+ miles on the hwy and it wants to start a regen <3 miles from my destination, most likely once I come off the highway and into town...I wish there was a way to command an active regeneration cycle while in motion, because I promise you I know better than the computer does 99% of the time, lol.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list

Last edited by HLBeef; 12-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
post #6 of 10 Unread 12-06-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLBeef View Post
Yes, I do hate doing 300+ miles on the hwy and it wants to start a regen <3 miles from my destination, most likely once I come off the highway and into town...I wish there was a way to command an active regeneration cycle while in motion, because I promise you I know better than the computer does 99% of the time, lol.
That is hilarious because I swear I'll take a 4 hr trip, and the regen will come on as I'm a mile away from the driveway. Never fails.

Sounds like there's nothing to worry about here. Thanks for the responses!
MrTommy and Rolfsted like this.
post #7 of 10 Unread 12-07-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
It may take more time to 'warm up' but it's my experience that it stays warmer longer after I shut it down. So if I go somewhere, spend time shopping or whatever, it blows heat as soon as I take off.

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed installed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Added the Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps
post #8 of 10 Unread 12-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
I live in MN, my drive to work is 25-30 min of freeway driving. Get in, turn key, and get to where you are going. Only reason to idle your truck is if you remote start it to heat the cab up a little. Other than that, its a waste of fuel and time. Its much better for the engine to heat up under load vs at idle... As far as not getting to operating temp, throw some cardboard in front of the radiator or buy the cold weather cover. Seriously, don't bother with idling for more than a min or 2. Its better for the truck to only reach 180*.

If its -10 I let it idle for a couple minutes (long enough for me to get the dog from the back yard into the back seat) and drive easy for a few blocks... I usually go the long way to the freeway (Mostly to make sure fuel system isn't gonna gel or ice up on me)
MrTommy and HeavyAssault like this.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

post #9 of 10 Unread Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLBeef View Post
You can have the dealer turn on th option to turn off auto regen or you can use forscan to do so. I turn off auto regen and turn it on when driving conditions are more ideal. There are many threads on this that you can reference.

Torque Gets Things Movin'
2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White
post #10 of 10 Unread Today, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Truck Fanatic View Post
You can have the dealer turn on th option to turn off auto regen or you can use forscan to do so. I turn off auto regen and turn it on when driving conditions are more ideal. There are many threads on this that you can reference.
Wow! I didn't know you could do this. I get SO aggravated when I'm out doing stuff most of the day, and as I turn onto my street, on comes the notification that the exhaust system is now cleaning. My iDash shows that the filter is maybe 150% full (and how is it possible to have more than 100% of anything?).

Once the regen starts I can watch the % going down. Does it really hurt if I just park instead of heading out for a longer drive just to complete the regen? I love driving the truck, but sometimes it's just NOT convenient to spend another hour joy riding.

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed installed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Added the Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in