• 1 Post By MrTackett
  • 1 Post By lowmpg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-07-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Doing my first fuel filter change...

I just changed the fuel filters on my "new to me" 2016 F350 CC Lariat SRW 6.7 and it was a breeze. Read a TON of posts (thanks everyone!) watched a bunch of videos (some good, some ridiculously bad) and figured it would be just as easy as it looked. No issues at all.

One thing I never saw in any of them was exactly how much diesel drains out when you do it. Being curious, I used a 2qt glass measuring bowl so I could see EVERYTHING that came out and to see just how much. The general consensus was to unscrew 3 times to close the valve (which worked perfectly), but I found out that if you unscrew 4 times, it drains MUCH faster!!

The filter under truck held almost exactly 5 cups and the one under the hood held just a little over a cup. Fuel was nice and clean, no water, no particles. Just as it should be!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diesel.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	724959  
HeavyAssault and lowmpg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-07-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No idea why the pic is sideways...looks normal on my end!!! Oh well, you get the idea.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2019, 02:40 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Good job, pretty easy and saves you a ton over a dealer doing it. Did you unscrew the filter some before draining it? If not, it was just pouring fuel from the tank. Once you turn the filter it cuts off from the fuel supply so you are only draining the bowl itself.

If you just want to check for water you can just unscrew the plug and drain a bit looking for water or particulate, but if you're changing it all together you probably want to unscrew the can a half turn before opening up that valve.
HeavyAssault likes this.

The Resurrection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmpg View Post
Good job, pretty easy and saves you a ton over a dealer doing it. Did you unscrew the filter some before draining it? If not, it was just pouring fuel from the tank. Once you turn the filter it cuts off from the fuel supply so you are only draining the bowl itself.

If you just want to check for water you can just unscrew the plug and drain a bit looking for water or particulate, but if you're changing it all together you probably want to unscrew the can a half turn before opening up that valve.
When I said to unscrew it 4 turns instead of 3, I was talking about the canister. I didn't make that very clear... If you unscrew it only 3 times, it's still partially sealed by the o-ring and it doesn't flow freely out of the drain. I didn't open the drain valve until I had unscrewed the canister.
post #5 of 6 Old Today, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've done it several times without issues, but did have trouble keeping prime once. Since then I always lube the o-ring with a little oil before reassembling...no problems since. The o-ring comes shipped in some type of lubricant, but it's really easy to rub it off during installation.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by druston View Post
I've done it several times without issues, but did have trouble keeping prime once. Since then I always lube the o-ring with a little oil before reassembling...no problems since. The o-ring comes shipped in some type of lubricant, but it's really easy to rub it off during installation.
I did notice the lube wasn't as good as it should be, so I lubed it as well with some diesel. If it comes off good on the next one, I'll know that's sufficient. If not, I'll use a little oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in