LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best addititve to avoid HPFP failure

Hi folks,

Just after reading the issue with the HPFP failures, I'm now in a bit of a panic mode. When I had the Ford extended service plan, they ALWAYS put in a bottle of additive to my fuel - it's like they knew there was an issue and didn't want to tell me.

So, what is everyone using as a good additive to avoid HPFP catastrophic failure? I do have the Disaster Prevention Kit on my to-do list for the springtime.

2013 Silver F-350 CREW 6.7L 4x4 Lariat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 10:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't panic...

There are some big name brands that are affordable, wont harm dpf systems and readily available. Seemingly the two most popular are Diesel Kleen/Powerservice and Opti-lube both make summer and winter blends. I currently run an older generation 7.3l that albeit benefits from the lubrication I can use others that unless you are deleted 6.7ls can't run.

Your going to be fine.

Drain the water separator monthly, change the fuel filters, get the disaster prevention kit, and run a fuel treatment. I have primarily used Diesel Kleen im not 100% if its cheaper than opi-lube but for my region its way more available etc. We use it in the fleet of 6.7l Cummins and Powerstrokes too. I can't garuntee its used every tank but we harp on drivers that they should not be going months with the same bottle of un-opend diesel kleen lol.
HeavyAssault and john galt like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #3 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I have a 2016 that I used Diesel Kleen with every tank, drained my separator every two weeks, and only Shell or Exxon fuel but still had my HPFP go out on me with only 54k miles or so on her over the summer. I did a lot of research and that's when I found out about all of the issues with the Bosche CP4. Told my buddies about it so they would have a heads-up as well. One of which is a hot shot driver with a 2017. Shortly after I told him, he changed his fuel filter and saw metal flakes in his but he had 130k miles. Not sure of what additive he used or anything but he knows his stuff. Since then, I replaced everything with upgraded parts and deleted the entire stock fuel and filtration system. I only use Hot Shot Secret now too. Done everything that I can but I highly recommend putting a disaster prevention kit on there. That will save you a lot of money and heartache.

It's sad that we have to go through this but it's real. You hear people on here saying that you don't have to worry with it on the newer trucks but that isn't the case at all. I am a stickler for maintenance and only use higher-end/proven products because of that reason and it still happened to me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 11:46 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Buy what you can afford for fuel additives. Make sure you keep log of the products you use that way you can see what really works for your motor. I do find that there are some fuel brands that seem to be "better" than others. Don't be afraid to buy different products or fuel brands, just do your homework.

I've tried quite a few different brands, tried different fuel sources, keep track of my MPGs , etc etc etc. I can reference different times of the year (summer blend to winter blend) seeing what fuel effects are present. When you have all that you can make better long term decisions.

After pricing out the HPFP I'm wondering if it's worth it to just replace it at XXXk miles and just bite that bullet versus a full on system replacement due to HPFP failure. Even if I had to spend $3000 at a shop or the dealer it's MUCH less in overall costs.
Don't be scared....be prepared!!
Rolfsted, UR2EZ and Hydro like this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is the prevention kit mentioned made by Accurate Diesel? My question is why not just replace the pump w/ 2015+ if you're going through the effort to get to it? Or is it standard practice to do both?

If you guys have done it how long did it take?
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambiguous View Post
Is the prevention kit mentioned made by Accurate Diesel? My question is why not just replace the pump w/ 2015+ if you're going through the effort to get to it? Or is it standard practice to do both?

If you guys have done it how long did it take?
The '15 and newer pumps will fail just like the rest. The disaster prevention kit doesn't keep your pump from failing. It just keeps the metal debris from entering your fuel rails, injectors, et cetera

HeavyAssault likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay got it. So is the one made by Accurate Diesel the correct one?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambiguous View Post
Okay got it. So is the one made by Accurate Diesel the correct one?
Several people make them

The Following User Says Thank You to UR2EZ For This Useful Post:
Howard_st (11-06-2019)
post #9 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Iíve been considering adding a DPK and/or an Exergy inlet metering valve. I run PM22A in every tank but with just shy of 130k on the clock, not sure how far I want to push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 17 Old 10-31-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
If you want the absolute best fuel lubricant then it's Opti-Lube, and one of the worse ones was Lucas.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode