General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 Old 10-31-2019, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My research suggests that Ford owners have been luckier than Chevy/GMC folks because they have an electric fuel pump before the CP4. Their is currently a lawsuit going forward against Chevy/GMC that the CP4.2 was a bad choivce because of poor diesel quality in the US and the high failure rate. A lot of the failures are also a result of low fuel pressure/air in the pump. This compounds the lack of lubricity in the entire system.

I was just thinking the other day about all the filters and fluids I use for my 2005 6.0L versus any gasser I have ever owned. I started thinking if there is something that I can start doing for them to match what I am doing my 6.0L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 10-31-2019, 11:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2011 F350 with a 6.7 diesel in it and have used always Howes fuel additive. I have over 770,000 miles on it and have never had a fuel issue. I did cut my last fuel filter open and checked for any metal particles with a magnet and could find nothing. I guess I have just been lucky. I have just recently started to occasionally have a fuel injector code and will probably end up just changing all of them to be safe. With all of the issues I have read about the high-pressure fuel pumps it sure sounds like I have dodged a bullet.
post #33 of 42 Old 11-01-2019, 03:13 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider33 View Post
I have over 770,000 miles on it ......
That's impressive!!! Keep rollin'!!!

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 11-01-2019, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did Ford fix this problem after 2014? I have a 2016 with 80k on it. Never used additive. I see a $350 fix on Amazon. After reading this post, I will start using fuel treatment (what can it hurt?) just wondering if I need to buy and install the fix?
post #35 of 42 Old 11-01-2019, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaigle View Post
Did Ford fix this problem after 2014? I have a 2016 with 80k on it. Never used additive. I see a $350 fix on Amazon. After reading this post, I will start using fuel treatment (what can it hurt?) just wondering if I need to buy and install the fix?
No, they did not and I highly suggest you use a decent additive with every fill-up, name brand diesel, drain the separator at least every month, and install the disaster prevention kit. I have a 2016 and mine went out over the summer at around 54k miles and I did all of that, minus the kit. Didn't know about the issue until it was too late

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #36 of 42 Old 11-01-2019, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you, I am going with Howe’s for now, kit gets here on Sunday. I have always stuck by my Ford trucks, but they are making it difficult. Shame on Ford.
post #37 of 42 Old 11-01-2019, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaigle View Post
Thank you, I am going with Howe’s for now, kit gets here on Sunday. I have always stuck by my Ford trucks, but they are making it difficult. Shame on Ford.
It's not just Ford that uses that HPFP. I do think a lot has to do with the stock lift pump being too weak in the Ford's though. I went ahead and replaced everything with upgraded parts and deleted the entire stock fuel and filtration system when mine went out so hopefully I won't have anymore issues. Put the kit on there as well. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #38 of 42 Old 11-01-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Interesting that someone brought up the dieselsite filter kit to add in more filtration to the system. By my understanding that kit goes down to 2 microns but the factory ford filter (top by the engine) only goes down to 4 microns. Being that the dieselsite kit is plumbed in before any of the ford fuel filters and it has a lower micron rating, wouldnt it make the factory system pointless (in a way) because it has already filtered out more than the factory system can? Makes more sense to me to have that lower micron rating last in line before the high pressure pump not first? Not an expert here just trying to make sense of that whole concept. Someone who knows more please correct/ educate me if I'm mistaken
post #39 of 42 Old 11-01-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
BTW - we should sticky this topic. Who can we get to do this?
HeavyAssault likes this.

2013 Silver F-350 CREW 6.7L 4x4 Lariat.
post #40 of 42 Old 11-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RROUTLAW View Post
Interesting that someone brought up the dieselsite filter kit to add in more filtration to the system. By my understanding that kit goes down to 2 microns but the factory ford filter (top by the engine) only goes down to 4 microns. Being that the dieselsite kit is plumbed in before any of the ford fuel filters and it has a lower micron rating, wouldnt it make the factory system pointless (in a way) because it has already filtered out more than the factory system can? Makes more sense to me to have that lower micron rating last in line before the high pressure pump not first? Not an expert here just trying to make sense of that whole concept. Someone who knows more please correct/ educate me if I'm mistaken
I am running the Diesel Site dual filter kit on my 14. When I spoke to them they did state it was 2 microns filtration. When I asked why so low they stated it would not allow water to pass. I would love it if someone could confirm this in testing or some other way.

Tom

2014 XLT Premium CC Dually 2WD, Remote Start Added, Diesel Site Dual Filters, Rudy's Cold Air Pipe, Infotainment Radio Swap + Rear Camera Added

2002 XLT CC Dually 2WD, 6 Spd, True Workhorse that kept going.

1999 F250 Lariat CC LB SRW 2 WD, Automatic. Just didn't perform towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode