post #21 of 42 Old 10-29-2019, 05:47 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Showing the internals in depiction as to how it operates:

The Evil Twin likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 10-29-2019, 05:58 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Just to show the "problem" that happens upon lack of proper lubrication.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 42 Old 10-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
50k psi or 29.9" Hg, the engineering problem is delta pressure. Not operating pressure.
There are commercially available filters designed to operate at 30k psi down to 0.5 micron at 3gpm. Not for fuel necessarily, but still.
Anyway, I'm just a geek for the engineering aspect of it. I'm sure Ford and others have better geeks than me. Just don't get it other than the almighty $$ part of it.
HeavyAssault and 18M_RWR like this.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 Old 10-30-2019, 02:45 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Those are the aspects that I would love to learn about how things are designed.
The Evil Twin likes this.

post #25 of 42 Old 10-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
bio diesel typically has a higher lubricity rating than ulsd. the catch is that it produces more soot than ulsd. I have decided to treat the lubricity issue and use mostly ulsd. When running on bio I still use an additive.
To the OP @aboyles give us some follow up. Your experience with this issue will be valuable to others. The situation sucks but still the forum is about issues and solutions. Your input will be appreciated.

2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White
post #26 of 42 Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 2011 6.7 with 110,000 miles on it. 30,000 on a new fuel pump. I replaced it because I broke off a fitting draining the fuel tank after contaminated fuel (the contaminated fuel never went through the pump or engine, I caught it before running the motor).

Your posts have me worried. I have never knew of this issue and have recently had a new, louder noise of the truck's fuel pump (after the truck turns off) that is louder and more growly or varied pitch grown.

Do you guys think this might be a fuel pump? They are easy to change. If I do change it, just buy another 2011 or does the new 2016 just bolt on without mods.

I have never used fuel lubricant only some additives when the winter fuel gels up.
post #27 of 42 Old 10-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPOPPY View Post
I have a 2011 6.7 with 110,000 miles on it. 30,000 on a new fuel pump. I replaced it because I broke off a fitting draining the fuel tank after contaminated fuel (the contaminated fuel never went through the pump or engine, I caught it before running the motor).

Your posts have me worried. I have never knew of this issue and have recently had a new, louder noise of the truck's fuel pump (after the truck turns off) that is louder and more growly or varied pitch grown.

Do you guys think this might be a fuel pump? They are easy to change. If I do change it, just buy another 2011 or does the new 2016 just bolt on without mods.

I have never used fuel lubricant only some additives when the winter fuel gels up.
You should definitely use a fuel additive that increases lubricity at all times. The additional cost is negligible. As for the need to replace the fuel pump , its hard to say without hearing it.

2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White
post #28 of 42 Old 10-31-2019, 02:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPOPPY View Post

The main sign is metal flakes in the fuel filter housing when you change your fuel filters. If you see metal in there, nine times out of ten, it's already too late

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #29 of 42 Old 10-31-2019, 03:24 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
I have never knew of this issue and have recently had a new, louder noise of the truck's fuel pump (after the truck turns off) that is louder and more growly or varied pitch grown.

That is not the fuel pump. It's been said that kind of noise is the 2011-14 wastegate on the turbo.

Noise from the lower fuel pump (HFCM) before starting the motor is generally associated with poor sealing allowing air into the system. Such happens after fuel filter changes when the o-ring isn't seated correctly.

post #30 of 42 Old 10-31-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
That is not the fuel pump. It's been said that kind of noise is the 2011-14 wastegate on the turbo.

Noise from the lower fuel pump (HFCM) before starting the motor is generally associated with poor sealing allowing air into the system. Such happens after fuel filter changes when the o-ring isn't seated correctly.
My 15 has always had (since I bought it 3 years ago) a loud whinny DFCM and I have always bottomed the seal on the housing myself so I don't have to worry about it not sealing correctly to the filter housing and the housing itself bottoms out when installing it so it should have a good seal.

As for fuel lubricity this ULSD sucks. For the last 6+ years I have tried to buy my fuel at the same mid-west name brand store or sister store and have always added the correct power service for the season.

This week I ran across an old Diesel Fuel Lubricity Test done back in 2007 checking the wear of diesel with additives. This has been attached. I am not sure if I am reading this correctly or not but I do believe the #1 result is the 2% bio-diesel blend? A 5%-20% blend is mandatory here since I live in the corn state, it's 99% all bio/ethanol blend here which I hate but that's a different topic. Otherwise it looks like I need to switch to the Opti-Lube. I see Opti-Lube has had tests done with the XPD and their XL. Looks like the XL performs even better than the XPD.

What you you guys get from the test attached?

Also Ford states the micron level for the fuel filters is 10 & 4 respectively.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diesel_fuel_additive_test_2007.pdf (130.7 KB, 31 views)
HeavyAssault and 18M_RWR like this.

Last edited by james2488; 10-31-2019 at 08:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to james2488 For This Useful Post:
18M_RWR (11-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in