Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-7-discussion-2011-2016/)
-   -   Servicing DPF (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-7-discussion-2011-2016/1369881-servicing-dpf.html)

tomshep 10-06-2019 12:03 AM

Servicing DPF
 
I was visiting with a friend that has a mechanics shop and he is into Ford diesels. He was telling me one of his reps told him about a kit that is close to being available to the public that is designed to service the DPF while still installed on the truck. You remove the sensors and use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out and you are good to go for another 100K miles along with the normal cleaning cycles we are used to. The down side is the cost was close to $1,000 but that is less than a new unit. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you were going to delete.

Anyone have more info?

Tom

HeavyAssault 10-06-2019 04:22 AM

Sounds like a reasonable method to "clean" the DPF. I'm doubtful with the truck not throwing codes since you remove the sensors and have to run the truck.
I'd bet they are injecting some serious chemicals into the system, burning off as much as possible, and giving it an OK bill of health. How much is a brand new SCR/DPF system??

HLBeef 10-07-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyAssault (Post 16337891)
How much is a brand new SCR/DPF system??

I was quoted "around $4k" by my local ford dealer for parts only for a new torpedo.

I decided to keep running mine and deal with its quirks with that news...

Ford Parts has it listed for $4,100.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ca...icle-9345903-1

Dales Super Store 10-07-2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomshep (Post 16337879)
I was visiting with a friend that has a mechanics shop and he is into Ford diesels. He was telling me one of his reps told him about a kit that is close to being available to the public that is designed to service the DPF while still installed on the truck. You remove the sensors and use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out and you are good to go for another 100K miles along with the normal cleaning cycles we are used to. The down side is the cost was close to $1,000 but that is less than a new unit. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you were going to delete.

Anyone have more info?

Tom

Not sure about this new product. There are products in EU that sound similar to what your describing. I would love to see this product hopefully it is at SEMA this year!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLBeef (Post 16338245)
I was quoted "around $4k" by my local ford dealer for parts only for a new torpedo.

I decided to keep running mine and deal with its quirks with that news...

Ford Parts has it listed for $3,800.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ca...icle-7863271-1


The 6.7 filters are hard to come by right now. There has not been any replacement ones come available to my knowledge. The ones for 6.4 powerstroke are great and we even have service kits so you can clean the DPF yourself! Back to the 6.7 we are working on a solution for this currently. $4000 is insane price for this item, are you having issues with yours?

The Evil Twin 10-07-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomshep (Post 16337879)
use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out

I'm sure burning Varsol and jet fuel is great for the air quality. Good thing we have DPF to keep the air clean :lol:

jman37 10-08-2019 04:41 AM

It sounds good and all, but to me it sounds like a "oh don't forget to fill your blinker fluid" scam. $1000 bucks is pricey to "clean" it, and who's to say it will work? Then guess what, you're out $1k, and will have to shell out the $4k for a new one. I'm sure every truck will be different, some DPF's will be in better shape than others will be, but still a lot of cash to gamble to see if it will work.

HeavyAssault 10-08-2019 11:44 AM

You know....I had to read this post a few times....You get your "DPF serviced" for $1000.....I get it.

jman37 10-08-2019 12:51 PM

How are YOU going to know IF it got serviced? Sounds like they'll take it out back and do a static regen for ya.....

Seems like a good way to make $1k....

JustinOOO9 10-08-2019 12:55 PM

We would remove the dpf systems on the big rigs and use a super high heat pressure washer with some cleaning chemicals. Seemed to do the trick with no failures or issues in 100k plus etc. There is a company in CA that came to the caterpillar dealer every now and then and it was like a pressurized parts washer tank that took an hour to heat/pressure/clean the dpfs. It worked very well. I found this place: https://www.clarkstruckcenter.com/dpf-cleaning/

but again the other company had like a heated parts washer with all these solvents and heat and it worked great.

HeavyAssault 10-08-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman37 (Post 16338751)
How are YOU going to know IF it got serviced? Sounds like they'll take it out back and do a static regen for ya.....

Seems like a good way to make $1k....


Well I can say when "DPF service" is complete, there's no more "DEF in the tank". I can do "static regens" myself. >:)>:)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vB.Sponsors
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome