General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 Old 10-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You should be able to talk to a local shop that has the "air knife" to clean the DPF. Our local radiator shop charges us around $400 - $600 to clean them. You still have to remove and install the DPF because the air knifing can't be done on the vehicle. Sounds a LOT more cost effective than buying a new or reman from Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
I was visiting with a friend that has a mechanics shop and he is into Ford diesels. He was telling me one of his reps told him about a kit that is close to being available to the public that is designed to service the DPF while still installed on the truck. You remove the sensors and use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out and you are good to go for another 100K miles along with the normal cleaning cycles we are used to. The down side is the cost was close to $1,000 but that is less than a new unit. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you were going to delete.

Anyone have more info?

Tom
I've seen systems that clean the DPF while still on the vehicle. My only question is:
Will it also remove the ash thats still trapped? If not, you may still have a filter full of ash when the burn out is done.
The ones that require removing the filter get rid of soot and the ash that results from previous regens. There is a thread in the 11-16 forum that outlines diy removal and cleaning. The only problem is capture and disposal of the waste.

Torque Gets Things Movin'
2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White
post #13 of 22 Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I was visiting with a friend that has a mechanics shop and he is into Ford diesels. He was telling me one of his reps told him about a kit that is close to being available to the public that is designed to service the DPF while still installed on the truck. You remove the sensors and use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out and you are good to go for another 100K miles along with the normal cleaning cycles we are used to. The down side is the cost was close to $1,000 but that is less than a new unit. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you were going to delete.

Anyone have more info?

Tom
I've seen systems that clean the DPF while still on the vehicle. My only question is:
Will it also remove the ash thats still trapped? If not, you may still have a filter full of ash when the burn out is done.
The ones that require removing the filter get rid of soot and the ash that results from previous regens. There is a thread in the 11-16 forum that outlines diy removal and cleaning. The only problem is capture and disposal of the waste. I've trie to find the post but cant may be on another forum

Torque Gets Things Movin'
2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White

Last edited by Work Truck Fanatic; 10-09-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 10-09-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Sounds like a reasonable method to "clean" the DPF. I'm doubtful with the truck not throwing codes since you remove the sensors and have to run the truck.
I'd bet they are injecting some serious chemicals into the system, burning off as much as possible, and giving it an OK bill of health. How much is a brand new SCR/DPF system??
My understanding is the sensors were removed for access to the various areas of the filter and then the rods/tools were used to put the cleaning fluid into the filter so it was in all areas. Then, the sensors were put back in place before running.

Tom

2014 XLT Premium CC Dually 2WD, Remote Start Added, Diesel Site Dual Filters, Rudy's Cold Air Pipe, Infotainment Radio Swap + Rear Camera Added

2002 XLT CC Dually 2WD, 6 Spd, True Workhorse that kept going.

1999 F250 Lariat CC LB SRW 2 WD, Automatic. Just didn't perform towing.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-10-2019, 02:55 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
My understanding is the sensors were removed for access to the various areas of the filter and then the rods/tools were used to put the cleaning fluid into the filter so it was in all areas. Then, the sensors were put back in place before running.

Tom

That sounds like normal DPF operation. Then the take it out for a forced regen?? Yea....they better give a 100% guarantee to go another 100,000+ miles before it's clogged again.

For some of these devices it's only a matter of time till someone has engineered a CARB/EPA aftermarket device that is easier to service and cheaper over the product life.
jman37 likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-10-2019, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
That sounds like normal DPF operation. Then the take it out for a forced regen?? Yea....they better give a 100% guarantee to go another 100,000+ miles before it's clogged again.

For some of these devices it's only a matter of time till someone has engineered a CARB/EPA aftermarket device that is easier to service and cheaper over the product life.
Oh my....can you imagine? An OEM one say costs anywhere from $3-5k probably depending on dealer etc. Imagine what a performance DPF will cost? I wouldn't be surprised to see one go $7k. That's Nissan GTR and Porsche exhaust territory prices.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #17 of 22 Old 10-10-2019, 11:58 AM
N.S.D.Q.

I'd pay $4k for a easy to service unit over this "one and done" OEM BS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 22 Old 10-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
OEM Diesel Particulate Filter Replacement Options

This topic is something we discuss daily here at Dales. As some of you may already know, there are some DPF replacement options available already for a few vehicles. Below are some of the aftermarket DPF options we offer now for the 6.4L Powerstroke.

The prices of these units makes this bitter pill, much easier to swallow. Certainly much more friendly than the $4k the dealer wants.

My favorite option is the Bully Dog. This unit is serviceable, increases air flow up to 21%, reduces EGTs up to 12%, minimizes soot accumulation and reduces backpressure up to 44%. They also claim to lower the amount of regenerations.

Here's the lineup so far...

AP EXHAUST $1,292

REDLINE AUTO $1,411

BULLY DOG $1,799

MAGNAFLOW $1,869

If you ask me, having a DPF that is less prone to clogging, allows you to service it and increases flow is a no brainer. As deleting becomes harder and harder to accomplish, the goal is going to be to have a less cumbersome and more reliable pollution control system.

We will always be able to tune and increase performance, which is great. What's more important is knowing you can count on your diesel workhorse when you need it. The less trips to the dealer the better and staying compliant is a bonus.

If anyone has any questions or wants more info, let me know.

Regards,

Tommy T.

844-487-2787

us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #19 of 22 Old 10-10-2019, 02:29 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Those would be cooler if they worked on a 6.7L truck.

post #20 of 22 Old 10-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Those would be cooler if they worked on a 6.7L truck.
You, sir, are correct.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode