• 1 Post By HeavyAssault
  • 1 Post By kbnw15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
'16 Questions

I recently got into a 2016 F250 XLT CC SRW. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. I am however having a few questions concerning this new beast. I came from an 05 6.0. Essentially the exact same truck only 11 years older so obviously the different motor platform.

I have zero intention of deleting or tuning or modding this truck in any way at the moment. the truck has 66K+ miles on it at the moment. I have a Edge CTS2 monitor in it so I can see all my information.

It has been unseasonably warm here in West Central Missouri so I have been chalking some of these readings up to it just being hot outside. I have noticed occasionally my EOT and ECT will get about a 14* or 16* delta. I know in the old 6.0 that was signs of EGR trouble or right at the border of it. Does that 12* delta rule still apply in these 6.7 motors or is that something not to concern myself about?

Also a new trick this morning this truck did to me was it through an alert for Exhaust back pressure. On the monitor it was reading 34 and 36. I'm not sure what those numbers mean or if that's even how they should be relayed for information. I was lugging the truck more than normal and was going up a curve on a hill with light throttle, again causing the truck to lug a little. Got on the throttle more and the EBP started to go down and have had no problems with it at all since. Just curious for some info on what the EBP tells me and why its important for monitoring.

I love this truck so far and am looking forward to driving the wheels off of it for the next several years. Please share any info or quarks you have noticed in these trucks for strictly stock stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This has been an exceptionally hot summer this year. You are not the only person noticing higher than normal temps. This past July when I made a trip to Boulder, CO and traveled along I70, My oil and coolant temps seemed high when towing the 5th wheel. Once I dropped the trailer, temps did come down. Oil was in the mid 230's and coolant in the high 220's. No load back to 215 oil and 205 coolant.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #3 of 10 Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just an FYI, the oil delta rule of thumb for 6.0's is not applicable to the 6.7.

In the 6.0, coolant would flow through the oil cooler, and then flow to the EGR cooler. So a plugged oil cooler meant little to no flow to the extremely hot EGR cooler, and with stagnant coolant in the EGR cooler exposed to upwards of 1K Farenheit exhaust gases, the coolant in the EGR cooler would flash boil and rupture the cooler, allowing coolant into the intake.

The coolant paths through the EGR cooler and Oil Cooler on the 6.7 are not tied together, so temperature differentials between coolant and oil, while indicitive of oil cooler performance, pose no risk to the egr cooler popping.

Furthermore, as long as your oil temp stays below 250 while towing heavy in hot weather, you don't really need to worry about engine damage from hot oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-24-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing that up for me mjs. I didn't figure they would keep the design the same like that with alot of the issues they had with it.

I'm still curious about what the information is that I am getting from the EBP? I understand(I think) that it is kind of a way to tell if the DPF is functioning or starting to fill with soot. I'm just curious on what ways I should interpret that data and how it can be beneficial to use later.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Garage
The higher % of soot means the closer you are to a regen. It usually gets triggered around 80%.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2019, 02:31 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
EBP is Exhaust Back Pressure which on a 2016 is read pre-turbo on the turbine side. So that's not really going to give a good DPF reading. Edge CTS2 uses the DPF% PID (I recall) which is just about the best visual indication for you to follow to prep for the impending regen. Not to mention the CTS2 can give a small red LED indication when the regen starts.

The alert you saw for the EBP was just that, your EBP value and driving condition was causing the alert.
Quote:
I was lugging the truck more than normal and was going up a curve on a hill with light throttle, again causing the truck to lug a little.
Guess the system didn't like the way it was responding and the way you were driving.

EBP (might be called "drive pressure" by some) relates to the pressure that is caused by the flow into the turbine side of the turbo. EBP in essence "drives" the turbine side hence driving the compressor side. That's what builds boost. So when you hit the pedal, the EBP rises due to resistance (at first) to spin the turbine and compressor. Once the speed of the turbine and compressor get going the EBP drops down. For a ultimate system a 1:1 ratio EBP/Boost PSI is an efficient system. Don't expect that all the time.....We run about 1.5:1 or more. Then we add in the effect of the VGT movement....but that should cover you for now.
18M_RWR likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Heavy that's pretty well exactly what I was looking for. If I'm interpreting what your saying the EBP number will mostly just be useful to tell if the turbo is going bad then? Not something I need to be paying super close attention to such as coolant and oil temps and EGTS.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM
N.S.D.Q.

I guess you could use it that way, more specifically if there's a VGT operation issue. I'm going to say these VGT 15+ turbos aren't like the 6.0L turbos of the past. You might expect the VGT side to have the same "issues" of old, but the forums/people don't seem to be reporting specific VGT issues for 15+ trucks. Food for thought.

Maybe one could say it's a relationship as to the efficiency of flow thru the motor??

I'll have to post a video so you can see what I'm talking about when seeing the way they correspond to one another.

On my old 2006 you can see what I'm watching. Jump to about :17 seconds...You can see the display with EBP and Boost at 1.5:1 ratio...

I'd have to get one of the 2015 6.7L I have now. I'll try to make it from a stop, up to speed, then steady speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-25-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

This is why I love this forum. So helpful and not just for troubleshooting but also just pure education on helping people. Thanks
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Here's a recent video: Running from a stop to about 60MPH. You can see how the EBP reacts compared to Boost PSI compared to transmission shifting.

Something to note: EBP reading is from the OEM sensor so the CTS2 doesn't have quite as good a resolution on the PSI numbers. The BOOST PSIG you see is using the Edge brand PSI sensor. So when using that aftermarket sensor and PID settings can give better resolution with regards to PSI numbers.
So when you see EBP at 4 and Boost PSI at 4.2, EBP could be 4.9 or 4.0 PSI. I might be able to see better resolution if using ForScan or some other app using a OBD II connector.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode