• 2 Post By HeavyAssault

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to forum, questions?

2012 F-250, CC, 148,300 miles on it now. 4,709 engine hours, 1,217 idle hours. Def tank and tube delete. I bought it used with 133,000 on it. Changed the oil to Rotella full synthetic used OEM Motocraft oil filter and balanced and rotated the tires and almost immediately left with a 11,000# travel trailer and did 12,000 miles across the USA and back home.

I saw the “check coolant additive” warning on the dash at about 9,000 into the trip, cleared it and kept trucking. Will check coolant life with the proper tool soon, coolant levels and color are good.

Trans fluid color and level is good.

Question are this, normal operating temps on flat ground towing the trailer were 200 on engine/coolant and 195 on trans. Saw as high as 247 on engine/coolant and 215 on trans, going up a long, steep hill with the cruise on. As far as I know all radiators and coolers are stock. Are these numbers normal?

My thoughts are to flush and replace both the coolant and trans fluid ASAP just to KNOW what I have in there and when it was replaced.

Also plan to replace fuel filter today as I’ve put 15,300 on it since I bought it and haven’t changed the fuel filter.

I’ve owned the 7.3 and the 6.0 with about 300,000 miles combined for both trucks so I know a little about Ford Diesels, but this is my first 6.7. LOVING it so far. Truck is a beast. I averaged 11.1 mpg for the 12,000 mile trip. Almost 8,000 of that 12k was towing the travel trailer that weighs 11.5k. And I hauled it, did not baby this truck.

Thanks for looking, thanks for advice! Thanks for having me.

Scott
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 12:40 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I see nothing wrong with anything you posted. Those temps are not out of line from many people's reports. As long as the EOT/ECT drop when on a downhill side of flats area you are good to go. Do what you already have planned for maintenance. You didn't mention a fuel additive to help with the ULSD lubrication. While not a 100% solution it's cheap insurance even with 148k on the clock.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ULSD lubrication? Guessing because you mentioned it, it must be important. Please explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Use some Howe’s or Stanadyne or other big name diesel fuel additive. You want something that will replace the lubricity that was lost with the reduction of sulfur in diesel. It will help protect your high pressure fuel pump.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old King Coal For This Useful Post:
Jethead23669 (09-12-2019)
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 01:04 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel has been known to not have the lubrication properties as in the past diesel fuel formulas. The current production fuel systems can be sensitive IF poor quality fuel is used, has entrained water, or has algae forming from standing too long. Using a fuel additive has been known to help with most of these "issues". While it's not a 100% solution it helps to use it especially since you described a wide ranging trip around the states. Another tip is using know good stations that tend to have a lot of traffic at the diesel pump.
jman37 and UR2EZ like this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyAssault For This Useful Post:
Jethead23669 (09-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode