General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to me '16 6.7l - couple questions

Picked up a wide track '16 XL f350 with 41k miles on it. I came from a 06 lbz duramax but prior to that I had a 7.3l.

I don't have much maintenance history on the truck so I'm trying to make sure to check everything. Did oil and oil filter, both fuel filters, both air filters.. Anything else I should check asap besides diff and trans fluid levels?

It also has a tailgate hinge issue that I've searched for an answer for but can't find anything. It struggles to open and 80% of the time I can't get it to open at all. If I pull the rods inside the gate manually I can get it to open but it seems the handle isn't properly engaging the tailgate hinge or it struggles to fully engage it. I tried lube on everything and I tried adjusting the rods and no change. Are the hinges known for going bad at all or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Hinge or latch issue? My latches need some lube every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jav_eee View Post
Hinge or latch issue? My latches need some lube every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well I lubed the latches also. They seem to work fine if I pull on the rods but I guess they could be a little tight. When I pull the handle and look inside at the hinge, it looks like it's struggling or almost binding to try and open the latches.

Where the plastic handle (on the inside) makes contact with the hinge (kind of looks like a lever or pedal) is where it seems to be having trouble to push the lever down. I can physically push that lever down and it works fine. Does feel a little tight though. I sprayed a ton of lube all over everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Sounds like an issue with the latch. I haven't seen anyone of any of the forums have much problems with the tailgate latch. Does this later have the KEY? The key does move a lever that makes the latch handle inoperative.

In the photo for this auction/buy it now...the black bow on the left is what the key moves to make the latch inoperative. Does the key move this bow?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-Ta...ty!36078!US!-1

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
Sounds like an issue with the latch. I haven't seen anyone of any of the forums have much problems with the tailgate latch. Does this later have the KEY? The key does move a lever that makes the latch handle inoperative.

In the photo for this auction/buy it now...the black bow on the left is what the key moves to make the latch inoperative. Does the key move this bow?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-Ta...ty!36078!US!-1
So yeah I have that for the key and when I actuate to the lock position, the handle moves the pedal but the pedal now doesn't move the hinge. It other words, it works properly and my problem isn't with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode