Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil leak repair and it still leaks.

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Nickjames525 
#1 ·
This is going to be fun. 2012 F350, original owner, 50K miles, still covered by extended warranty.

Took the truck to the dealership for two leaks. One was coolant, new radiator, problem solved. Why a radiator failed in 50K miles is :tard: Leak number two, oil pan gasket. The fix was what I've learned is a standard ford grey rtv sealant. Well didn't seal, still leaks.

Looks like they used way too much sealant. Is this going to be a problem going forward? What are the chances the inside of the pan has the same amount of goop inside the pan? And what are the chances some of this goop finds its way into some of the oil galleys? Since it has to go back in should I demand access to the teardown so I can verify no debris in the pan? Is that even an option? You know, insurance excuses. If they didn't fix it the first time, what assures me they'll suddenly fix it right the second time?

Pics for your pleasure. Last pic is after sitting 3 hrs. post repair.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I’d carry it back 100 times if that’s what it took to get it to stop leaking. That’s why I pay people to do some of the work on my truck, so they assume the liability if there’s a problem. Like a leak.

#4 ·
Truck goes back in Tuesday. I expressed my concern about excess goop in the pan, pan distortion, trust, etc. They're going to call my when they pull the pan so I can witness the condition inside the pan.

I'll see where it goes from there. Hope I can avoid 4 or 5 attempts to get it right.

#5 ·
Update #2
Pulled the pan, same story inside but it all seemed intact. Nothing in the pickup tube. Everyone agreed, too much sealant and possibly not enough set up time. they'll change the filter, fresh oil and hopefully never have to look back. I'll run the oil for 1000 miles and change it again and send it in for analysis.

But wait there's more, Got the call yesterday from the service dept. Now they have found a leaking rear main seal. WTF? It wasn't leaking when I took it in there. How does that happen? Now the plan going forward is drop the trans, change the rear main and test drive.

Good grief.

#6 ·
Update #2

Pulled the pan, same story inside but it all seemed intact. Nothing in the pickup tube. Everyone agreed, too much sealant and possibly not enough set up time. they'll change the filter, fresh oil and hopefully never have to look back. I'll run the oil for 1000 miles and change it again and send it in for analysis.

But wait there's more, Got the call yesterday from the service dept. Now they have found a leaking rear main seal. WTF? It wasn't leaking when I took it in there. How does that happen? Now the plan going forward is drop the trans, change the rear main and test drive.

Good grief.

Dropping the trans is how this issue was originally supposed to get fixed but a lot of dealerships are cutting corners which is probably why they still leak. Having to wiggle the pan back in with the tranny in the way doesn’t look fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#7 ·
They probably found the rear main when they pulled the trans... You know, like they should have in the first place.

#8 ·
I fix lots of trucks day in and day out, that oil pan reseal looks perfect to me. I’d bet the rear main has been leaking the whole time. The 6.7s transmission seats near perfect to the engine. So if the rear main or any leak up top gets into the bell housing, it very slowly leaks out the bottom. And sometimes it’s difficult to catch it. I drill a small hole in the bottom of the bell housing on every 6.7 truck with oil leaks. You’d be amazed at how much oil can be stuck inside there. Don’t be too upset at them. These things happen. Just be happy it’s not your upper oil pan leaking. Half the 6.7s I look at these days have front cover or upper pan leaks. 12-16 hours to do those repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.