Battery longevity and coolant level questions (2016 6.7L) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery longevity and coolant level questions (2016 6.7L)

Hello!

I take a peak under the hood every month and this month I noticed two things:

1) It seems the battery is leaking. The positive connector is covered in corrosion residue and the battery appears "wet" on top.

How long are the batteries supposed to last? I purchased my truck brand new in 2016. How long are they warrantied for?

2) Every time I look at the coolant reservoir - it appears empty (below minimum). Is that normal? I am a bit paranoid about it because this truck had its water pump replaced at 15,000 miles due to a leak, Dealer made no mention of the coolant level last time the truck was in for an oil change but I don't trust the dealer as they have been sloppy in the past.

I am attaching a few photos of the way things look. Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	721815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	808.2 KB
ID:	721817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
most motorcraft batteries have a 36 month warranty.

The coolant should not be below the minimum. I would take it to another competent 6.7L mechanic to check for some sort of coolant leak. You can rent a coolant system tester from most parts stores but you need to be very careful and not just pressurize the crap out of something. I usually start at 5psi and then look/listen for leaks and seeping, then go to 10psi and wait a couple of minutes and loose/listen and then see if it holds 10pis. I could be wrong but most are 14psi systems so I wouldn't go to 14 may say 12-13 and let it set for a min and look/listen for leaks etc.
UR2EZ likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My pump was replaced at the dealer as well, I found they didn't didn't allow the truck to get up to temp properly and check the level again. They just replaced it, filled it until Max and I went on my way. I had to add some when cold to get it where it should be, probably your case more than likely. Check for obvious leaks though, you could have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
My pump was replaced at the dealer as well, I found they didn't didn't allow the truck to get up to temp properly and check the level again. They just replaced it, filled it until Max and I went on my way. I had to add some when cold to get it where it should be, probably your case more than likely. Check for obvious leaks though, you could have one.
Thanks! Yeah, I think that's what may have happened. I called the dealer and they told me that it is "OK for the overflow tank to be empty, it will fill up when warm". So, I am confused. As for the battery - any input? Is it normal for it to go south within 3 years of purchase? Thanks!
post #5 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I had both my OEM batteries replaced today, my truck was built in 2013.
HeavyAssault likes this.

The Resurrection
post #6 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The battery probably just didn't have any grease on the terminals, and unfortunately weather occurs and that usually happens. I mean, my '11 looked like they had the original Motorcraft ones in, I'm not sure if they were ever replaced, and I did them about 7 months ago with brand new Motorcraft 850's. All depends, you could have had "olders" ones that were laying around put in, who knows.

I mean, is the truck starting fine? Holding a charge? If so, just clean the terminals, have the batteries tested and if they come back OK, I'd still stick with them.
kwazikwazi likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The positive battery terminals are always susceptible to corrosion just more so with a top post style since the battery terminal is all exposed unlike a side post terminal. Couple that with factories don't apply or not near enough any anti-corrosion protection on the terminal. Your battery is not a "sealed" battery so as it charges and discharges small amounts of gases are vented out the fill caps.

Take both negative terminals off the batteries and then take that positive terminal off and mix up some baking soda & water into a paste and cover the battery post and terminal with it. It will eat the corrosion away. Rinse with plain water will probably have to do it a few times with as bad as it is now and will probably need to wire brush the cable terminal and battery post as well. I have been using wheel bearing grease on all my battery terminals for years as an corrosion preventative and they have never corroded. Others might have something better to use. Just make sure both of the positive terminals are coated with some kind of anti-corrosion protection.
kwazikwazi likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
The battery probably just didn't have any grease on the terminals, and unfortunately weather occurs and that usually happens. I mean, my '11 looked like they had the original Motorcraft ones in, I'm not sure if they were ever replaced, and I did them about 7 months ago with brand new Motorcraft 850's. All depends, you could have had "olders" ones that were laying around put in, who knows.

I mean, is the truck starting fine? Holding a charge? If so, just clean the terminals, have the batteries tested and if they come back OK, I'd still stick with them.
Thanks! The truck is starting and battery is holding a charge. I guess I got surprised by the "wet" look on top of the battery surface, as if it had experienced a leak.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18M_RWR View Post
The positive battery terminals are always susceptible to corrosion just more so with a top post style since the battery terminal is all exposed unlike a side post terminal. Couple that with factories don't apply or not near enough any anti-corrosion protection on the terminal. Your battery is not a "sealed" battery so as it charges and discharges small amounts of gases are vented out the fill caps.

Take both negative terminals off the batteries and then take that positive terminal off and mix up some baking soda & water into a paste and cover the battery post and terminal with it. It will eat the corrosion away. Rinse with plain water will probably have to do it a few times with as bad as it is now and will probably need to wire brush the cable terminal and battery post as well. I have been using wheel bearing grease on all my battery terminals for years as an corrosion preventative and they have never corroded. Others might have something better to use. Just make sure both of the positive terminals are coated with some kind of anti-corrosion protection.
Thank you very much, I will do so!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwazikwazi View Post
Thank you very much, I will do so!
Remember take both negative terminals off FIRST. Then you can touch the positive terminal without any risk of being shocked if also touching something metal on the truck. When you put the terminals back on remember negative LAST. There will probably be a small spark when connect the first negative terminal as there are plenty of things on these trucks that draw power with the truck off. Might also notice a small spark when take the second negative terminal off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode