8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Joined the 6.7 Club with 1st ever Ford

Picked up a new to me 2016 F350 6.7 SD Lariat Crew Cab LB DRW 4WD (1-owner) last weekend in northwest MN and drove it the 1000miles back home. Truck has the high capacity trailer tow pkg & plow pkg (although never used) with 4.30 rear.
First Ford I have ever owned (besides a tractor) and I have to say I was impressed by the ride and power of this still bone stock truck. I used this forum a lot doing my research on the 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7s before deciding what to buy after I made the decision to buy my first Ford (life long Chevy man). The tow capacities are truly "best in class" and the 2015+ F350s being rated to tow more than a 2011-14 F450 convinced me to go with the F350. I will be using it primarily to tow my 48' enclosed gooseneck race car trailer and looking forward to making the first pull with it.
Truck had 119k on it when I drove it off the lot and now has 120k on it. It averaged 13.6mpg on the 1000m run home running 75-79mph mostly with the 4.30 rear which I thought was pretty good. I'm sure it would have gotten better fuel economy if stayed in 60mph range but wanted to get that 1000m ride behind me. "Cleaning exhaust filter" popped on the dash display 2x but only for a few seconds each time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_F350.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	721077  
Larry1013 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the 2016 club (which I just made up - )
I got my 2016 F-350 last year through CarMax so they did the transfer (from Texas to here - Nevada).

I love the truck! Coming from a 97 F-350, this is pure luxury. I used to use our old truck almost exclusively to tow our travel trailer, but I love THIS truck so much I just go for rides, just because . . .

I think you'll be glad you bought it. You're towing a lot more than I am (30' trailer at about 8500 lbs). I'm bone stock and I think that's the way it'll stay.

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed installed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Added the Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps
post #3 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Howdy and welcome from Texas! I highly suggest that you install a disaster kit as soon as possible. The CP4's (HPFP) that come in these truck are notorious for grenading and sending metal throughout your entire fuel system causing a $9k to $11k repair bill. I have the exact same truck and it happened to my with only 52k miles. My buddy just found metal in his fuel filter bowl at 130k miles and he traded it in immediately. It's a known issue and there is actually a class action lawsuit going on right now regarding the Bosche CP4's that they come with. They're not compatible with the ULSD we have here in the states due to the lack of lubricity. Just food for thought

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UR2EZ For This Useful Post:
18M_RWR (07-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I don't think the metal problem is as big of an issue as it is made out to be. Yes, there are some issues but often they are self induced, i.e., DEF in fuel tank, stopping for fuel at mom and pop or hole-in-the-wall gas/fuel stations, not draining water from filter, not changing fuel filters on schedule or using an additive that might contain alcohol.

There are too many 6.7 trucks on the road that do not have issues with the CP4 hpfp.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #5 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
I don't think the metal problem is as big of an issue as it is made out to be. Yes, there are some issues but often they are self induced, i.e., DEF in fuel tank, stopping for fuel at mom and pop or hole-in-the-wall gas/fuel stations, not draining water from filter, not changing fuel filters on schedule or using an additive that might contain alcohol.

There are too many 6.7 trucks on the road that do not have issues with the CP4 hpfp.
I doubt there would be a class action lawsuit in place if there wasn't a problem. Not only that, but a lot of the parts are on backorder per Ford. I have done a ton of research since incurring this problem myself and I changed my fuel filters every oil change at 7,500 miles and drained my fuel/water separator every two weeks. I always use Shell or Exxon fuel, except a very few times when it wasn't available as well. They had this issue overseas but hid it from the American public. I also doubt they would make the disaster kits if it weren't that big of an issue. There's definitely an issue with the pump and it's only a matter of time. Some are luckier than others and you can't completely control the diesel get other than going to reputable sources but even then, it's up to that station to do their due diligence in maintaining their tanks and so forth. Just trying to pass on an issue that I incurred and others that I know have incurred with hopes of someone else not having to endure what I have. Spending $350 for the kit is cheap insurance and way better than spending $11k. Just trying to help is all.

18M_RWR likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the welcomes!
I thought the hpfp was one of the upgrades/changes made to the 6.7 in 2015?
I will be changing all the fuel filters and making sure to drain the fuel/water separator before putting many more miles on it. Also will be using a fuel additive all the time; I've seen a few recommended several times on the board.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18M_RWR View Post
Thanks for the welcomes!
I thought the hpfp was one of the upgrades/changes made to the 6.7 in 2015?
I will be changing all the fuel filters and making sure to drain the fuel/water separator before putting many more miles on it. Also will be using a fuel additive all the time; I've seen a few recommended several times on the board.
I would HIGHLY suggest the disaster kit as well bud. If I had know what I know now, that would be the first thing I did. The pump is a good pump but not for the diesel we have here. Feel free to do your research online. They even make a CP4 conversion kit to a CP3 because of this issue. Nice truck though!

18M_RWR likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2EZ View Post
...Just trying to pass on an issue that I incurred and others that I know have incurred with hopes of someone else not having to endure what I have. Spending $350 for the kit is cheap insurance and way better than spending $11k. Just trying to help is all.

I will be ordering and installing a CP4 bypass kit on it right away. Definitely cheap insurance compared to what could possibly happen. Thanks @UR2EZ
post #9 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2EZ View Post
I would HIGHLY suggest the disaster kit as well bud. If I had know what I know now, that would be the first thing I did. The pump is a good pump but not for the diesel we have here. Feel free to do your research online. They even make a CP4 conversion kit to a CP3 because of this issue. Nice truck though!

I did a lot research prior to buying this 2016 and saw there were definitely issues with the 2011-2014 CP4 hpfps destructing and sending metal fragments thru the entire fuel system. I just thought it was corrected when they upgraded the hpfp with all the other upgrades in 2015. The bypass kit will actually be the first thing I purchase for it! Thanks again @UR2EZ
UR2EZ likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18M_RWR View Post
I did a lot research prior to buying this 2016 and saw there were definitely issues with the 2011-2014 CP4 hpfps destructing and sending metal fragments thru the entire fuel system. I just thought it was corrected when they upgraded the hpfp with all the other upgrades in 2015. The bypass kit will actually be the first thing I purchase for it! Thanks again @UR2EZ
Smart man! I've been trying to let everyone I know about it so they don't have to go through this mess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode