LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 10:42 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning546 View Post
Actually the separator is supposed to be drained at 3o day intervals, I don't understand why Ford didn't put automatically draining fuel/water separators in the superduties.

To prevent air from entering the system I'd guess. Otherwise the system is automatic at accumulating water (sarcasm) then it requires manual draining.
The Evil Twin likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And probably to prevent fuel from spewing out of a faulty auto drain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #23 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 06:57 PM
DKH
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleblanc View Post
I'm looking at picking up a 2015/2016 powerstroke F350. I am curious on your opinions on reliability. I'm looking at picking up a truck with mileage around 50k to 80k miles (trying to keep my budget around 35k). My question is what can I do to make this thing as repair free possible? We plan on doing full time RV-ing for a year to two years and I want to trust my truck to take me in the desert and get me back out without breaking down.

Do the EGR/DPF deletes help or cause other issues? I want to keep it as stock as possible other than anything to extend life and reliability. This will be a camp/road trip truck pulling a 27ft fifth wheel.

Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if the emissions sistems got any updates for 15- 16 powerstrokes. But my 14 bought with 90,000 miles right away gave me emissions troubles ( codes reduced power) so I deleted it. Since deleted I've had zero issues. Put on 4,000 plus miles. it's a 350 and I tow heavy up to 44,000 lb. It's tuned up a little over stock but I'll not go much over stock with what I tow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I Bought a 2016 with 31,000 miles about 2 hours away from home. About half way home I get this message saying it was cleaning some filter then displayed def fault. That was my sign from God. Instead of taking it home, it went to an undisclosed laboratory and had her gutted. The scientist is a former Ford engineer that actually worked on the 6.7. I wanted a hot tune but he wouldn't budge. He said he got me about 40HP. Seat of the pants it feels like it would smoke my hopped up 6.0. I'm hoping for a long, trouble free life. There's also something about the smell of real diesel exhaust in the morning that kinda makes me horny
bootcamp likes this.

2016 F-250 6.7 Lariat, FX4, 4x4 SuperCab, 8 foot bed.
68 Ragtop Vette
03 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird (180+ MPH)
09 Yamaha 1700 Vmax Gen II (9 second quarter mile)
12 Can AM 800 Renegade Quad
14 BMW 328d (50 mpg's)
20 Ski-doo 900 Turbo Renegade (Snowmobile)
post #25 of 30 Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm not sure if the emissions sistems got any updates for 15- 16 powerstrokes. But my 14 bought with 90,000 miles right away gave me emissions troubles ( codes reduced power) so I deleted it. Since deleted I've had zero issues. Put on 4,000 plus miles. it's a 350 and I tow heavy up to 44,000 lb. It's tuned up a little over stock but I'll not go much over stock with what I tow.

44k lbs?
post #26 of 30 Old 07-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
The only real difference Ive found was with the warranty of course! On the 11-14 the emissions warranty was 8 years or 80k miles. From 15 on up its 5 years or 50k miles. Go figure...
post #27 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 09:49 AM
DKH
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
GCVW. probably a little over it's rating
post #28 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
Couple weeks or 30 days your choice, I am willing to bet most dont drain it at all. I would bet dollars to donuts, but the price of a decent donut is outrageous.

Don't buy a 250 to tow a fifth wheel. If you want awesome mileage get a VW diesel. Dually is the way to go towing. I have gladly traded the 5 mpg for the safety/longevity/handeling benefits of a dually.

Banks can suck it(no offense). I would never put an intake, or any other air filter other than motorcraft in my truck ever. Economy of longevity trumps economy of fuel any day of the week, twice on Sunday.

Getting caught deleted and being charged with a federal crime would be a bad day.
The OP is towing a small fifth wheel, 27 & under 10k loaded. I tow a 34 fifth wheel that is around 10k loaded, my 350 SRW has NO issues with the camper. For sure a 27 camper doesnt need a dually, definitely go for the 350 for the added payload though. Now if the OP is an overkill kind of guy then go for the dually but otherwise a 350 with the proper payload will do the job with authority. Also if you can find one go for the long bed or expect to purchase a Titan tank or auxiliary in the bed which is what Im doing this month, the 26 gallon tank in the short bed is pitiful at 10mpgs towing. Some folks also add a tank with the long bed, not a bad idea for a full timer so you can plan your fuel stops accordingly.

2015 F-350 Platinum Ruby Red

2003 King Ranch-SOLD
ARP studs
Fel-Pro head gaskets
Egr delete
Blue spring mod
Sinister coolant filter with Cat ELC
Airaid CAD
SCT X4 with canned 65hp tow tune
Edge Insight CTS-2
210k & counting
post #29 of 30 Old 07-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleblanc View Post
I'm looking at picking up a 2015/2016 powerstroke F350. I am curious on your opinions on reliability. I'm looking at picking up a truck with mileage around 50k to 80k miles (trying to keep my budget around 35k). My question is what can I do to make this thing as repair free possible? We plan on doing full time RV-ing for a year to two years and I want to trust my truck to take me in the desert and get me back out without breaking down.

Do the EGR/DPF deletes help or cause other issues? I want to keep it as stock as possible other than anything to extend life and reliability. This will be a camp/road trip truck pulling a 27ft fifth wheel.

Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

2015 platinum dually bought new. Now has 86k miles...no issues yet other than the rear camera going out. I unplugged it from behind the spare tire, cleaned it and it works fine now. Truck was fully deleted at 60k miles. Still running great. Ive had all makes of diesel trucks. I can honestly say this one im going to marry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190527_115441~2_1564021553339.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	721065  
Larry1013 likes this.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frnkochoa View Post
2015 platinum dually bought new. Now has 86k miles...no issues yet other than the rear camera going out. I unplugged it from behind the spare tire, cleaned it and it works fine now. Truck was fully deleted at 60k miles. Still running great. Ive had all makes of diesel trucks. I can honestly say this one im going to marry.
I have had the camera on my truck go out twice. Once black and the last time lost the reed, yellow and green guidelines. Cameras are now $300 plus if one has to buy it.

Like you, not other real issues. I have 43k on mine and like you, ordered it new.

One item you might want to look into changing or upgrading is the CAC (cold side air tube form the inter cooler to the intake) The composite tubes have a tendency over time of bursting at inopportune times. You can find a decent replacement for $100 or less on eBay.

here is a link where i installed a 2 metal tube version from Rudy's. At that time it was $150 but now you can get a one metal tube version for $100 or less on eBay.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-install.html

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode