• 1 Post By GIPP3R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-20-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A/C Problems!

So in February I was in a minor front end collision. Required A/C condenser to be replaced in addition to a couple other things in the front end in front of the condenser. Fast forward to May, I tried to use my A/C and noticed that it wasn’t blowing cold. Took it back to body shop, and they sent it off to their mechanic who evac’d and recharged it, adding dye. Two weeks go by, no issue. A/C working great but I was smelling Freon. Week 3, gradually losing it until no A/C. Brought it back to the shop, and they could not locate any dye.

All signs pointing to a failing evap core, I looked at the A/C drain in the firewall - had dye on it. So, two days ago, I stripped the dashboard apart and went through the process of getting to the evap - I did everything except take the dash and wheel completely out - I just pulled it forward enough to be able to get the old evaporator out and wiggle a new one in (Motorcraft OEM). Confirmed that evap was in fact leaking. Also looks like the second one that has been put in the truck already, making this new one the third (really, Ford???). Put everything back together, and took it to the shop today to have evac/recharge done.

I get a call saying that it was not holding vacuum, and that when the tech put the 134A into it, a “cloud of smoke” came out of the dash after he cranked the truck up. They told me that my compressor wheel has some play in it, looks like the end is burnt, and is not engaging.

So, I am a little lost. What did I do wrong??? The only place I have found new dye is at the expansion valve fitting, but not much. The freon leaked out pretty much immediately. Sounds like I need a new compressor as mine may have burnt out after the last time it was filled up with Freon and run low. But what’s the deal with the leak and evap? Many thanks in advance. This is driving me nuts, and I am trying to avoid taking apart the dash again but it sounds like I may have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,996 Posts
Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Quoted: 3099 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Its hindsight now, but all this should be included in the insurance work.
You shouldnt have pulled that dash down.

I would call your company and see if they will open a supplemental ticket to have it repaired before going further.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Heavy_GD thanks for the response. Believe me I tried to go down that road twice and neither the shop nor my insurance company was willing to budge. Neither would believe that it is related to the accident, and to be fair, it very well could have happened over the winter and I wouldnít have known until the spring when it got warm again.
Heavy_GD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Sounds like the gasket in between where the line set meets the evaporator didn't seat or the lineset was not torqued down, or the evaporator or lineset failed. The cloud of gas/steam was oil mixed with refrigerant being released.

Why would they try and fill the system if it's not holding a vacuum...that's just not intelligent...

Compressor clutch could be not engaging due to the low side limit switch noticing low/no refrigerant in the system, could be the clutch is worn, if there is shaft play on your compressor it's likely on it's way out the door. Look in the refrigeration system for metal shavings...cannot remember if this generation of truck has an orifice tube or not, but that's where most of your metal shavings are going to collect if any.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-24-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HLBeef, thanks for the response. So that was my initial thought. That is the only place that I found dye the second time around. Since last checking in I used an inspection snake cam to look around under the dash and have not found any traces of dye anywhere else. When I asked them why they tried to fill it if it didn’t hold vacuum, they gave me a non-answer. I imagine it was so they could justify charging me the full $200 for evac and recharge (crazy!!!).

There is no gasket at the connection between the evap and line set, which is just in front of the firewall on the engine side. It is a sleeve with tapered male end that pushes into a female end, if that makes sense. I need to check torque spec on the bolt that ties them together, but I had it on dang tight. Seems like a great place for a leak. Thinking maybe the refrigerant blew back in towards the truck when that happened and worked it’s way up the firewall.

Compressor is definitely on its way out. New one should be here tomorrow. Sounds horrible right now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode