General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious to hear from those that have Pre-turbo EGT probes how much hotter they are on average than the post turbo EGT probes from the factory.

If the safe limit is 1350 for extended periods, and you are seeing that pre turbo, what would EGT1 - EGT4 gauges be showing? I reckon they are lower, but by how much? Or is it foolish to try to rely on EGT1 as a meltdown alarm on a stock truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 07-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs2011 View Post
Or is it foolish to try to rely on EGT1 as a meltdown alarm on a stock truck?
I'm guessing that on a stock truck, there isn't much chance of it "melting down". Ford makes sure that isn't going to happen (as do all the other mfg's). It's only when we start making changes that stuff can go wrong.

Just sayin'.
broncobilly_69 likes this.

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed installed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Added the Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill. Recon headlights.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post
I'm guessing that on a stock truck, there isn't much chance of it "melting down". Ford makes sure that isn't going to happen (as do all the other mfg's). It's only when we start making changes that stuff can go wrong.

Just sayin'.
I'm not sure what the 6.7 does in regards to high EGT readings, if it de-fuels or what, but I can tell you that you can absolutely melt down previous powerstrokes in stock form. If you have Boost leaks or intercooler tube failures that you ignore and keep driving on, the truck will just keep fueling and things will get HOT! Ask me how I know.

So that's where my question stems from. If I see say 1100 on EGT1, what does that mean for pre turbo temps. I'm sure someone who has the added EGT probe has noticed some correlation between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 Old 07-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Update on the bone stock question...Towing 10K trailer.

So pulling a long grade leaving Colorado...went into regen. The lowest temp I could manage was 1275. That was 60mph in 4th. Most of the time it was around 1350...bouncing off of 1400 occasionally.

I only recently installed the monitor so I have no idea what temps I was getting before. I use to just put in drive and let it manage itself. I never noticed it de fueling or cutting power. I can almost guarantee that it was well above 1400 on hills based on the way I have to drive it now to keep the temps down.

I would tend to assume that it is designed to tolerate the higher sustained temps.

As a side note, I have a friend in the construction business that tows an enclosed trailer full of lumber and tools. His 6.7 currently has 280K. He is stock and changes the oil and filters when the dash tells him. Does not monitor temps. He drives the truck a lot harder than I do...very heavy foot. Zero problems so far. This is his 2nd 6.7. The first one lost the trans at 250k due to lack of maintenance...zero problems with the motor or emissions on either truck.
MrTommy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode