LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsk7 View Post
They said 1300 for short periods would be okay.
I’m pretty sure these trucks can take much higher temps at short bursts not that I would ever push it that far on purpose but have seen posts on other forums of people hitting close to 2k in short bursts with no problems, back to the question at hand I would try looking for leaks with some soapy water around your clamps on the hot and cold side pipes and see if anything bubbles, also sometimes manually downshifting might be needed just because it’s maintaining speed fine if it’s getting to hot just drop it out of 6th and get that turbo spinning it will cool right down. as smart as these trucks are sometimes you can’t replace the human element in certain things the engine or trans has no idea of EGT’s so it will keep pushing until you drop a gear or let off or burn it up. But I wouldn’t be worried about 1,300-1,400 in a short burst personally.
broncobilly_69 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 F350 CCLB Lariat/ EZ Lynk Tyrant tuned/deleted/15+turbo swap/No limit stage 2 intake/H&S silicone CAC pipe/5 exhaust/2.5 BDS Leveling kit on 35s/Fox shocks/20 XD grenades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes if you want to hot rod for a few seconds I'm sure that's okay. But I'm talking about towing long hills and passes for extended periods of time. I'm not sure I would like keeping it at 1200 when towing a pass for 45 minutes. As of now I wont be able to hold the speed limit of 70 with my egts. And that's only towing 7k.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what is considered a short burst?

2005 F250 Crew Cab
4" Turbo back exhaust no kitty
Bully Dog PMT or SCT (depending)
zoodad mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 06-24-2019, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Yes if you want to hot rod for a few seconds I'm sure that's okay. But I'm talking about towing long hills and passes for extended periods of time. I'm not sure I would like keeping it at 1200 when towing a pass for 45 minutes. As of now I wont be able to hold the speed limit of 70 with my egts. And that's only towing 7k.
Holding 1200 in these things is no problem Im talking shorter bursts at 1500 and above these engines were designed to run much hotter than there previous versions which could take 1200 no problem I think your over thinking it a bit, on the flip side if your hitting 1200 pulling 7k and your not lugging the turbo then you might want to look at your tunes or check for a boost leak, the tiniest leak can cause high egts when towing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 F350 CCLB Lariat/ EZ Lynk Tyrant tuned/deleted/15+turbo swap/No limit stage 2 intake/H&S silicone CAC pipe/5 exhaust/2.5 BDS Leveling kit on 35s/Fox shocks/20 XD grenades
post #15 of 24 Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Im sure the OP is wondering as well, any great ways to track down a boost leak??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96 F250, 2wd regular cab. bone stock, 235,000 miles.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-28-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have yet to find any boost leaks. Done lots of searching the web and there are no good answers to high egt numbers tuned with tyrant and running the livewire sct egt probe. Lots do seem to have high numbers with this set up and no explanation as to why.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffsk7 For This Useful Post:
broncobilly_69 (06-29-2019)
post #17 of 24 Old 06-28-2019, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone ever monitored egts on a bone stalk truck. I'd be curious to see there temps.

Stock 250 - monitoring with Edge CTS2. Towing 10K TT. Pulling long hills, I typically drop to 5th and run between 60 and 65. Usually keeps me under 1200. Any slight movement of the pedal will send it over 1300 and can bump off of 1400. Really have to be patient and light on the accelerator if I want to stay under 1200.

Now, when it regens.... on a hill, it's almost impossible to keep it under 1200. Fortunately, the regens are short lived when towing and they don't catch me on a steep grade all that often.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Egt while towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
Stock 250 - monitoring with Edge CTS2. Towing 10K TT. Pulling long hills, I typically drop to 5th and run between 60 and 65. Usually keeps me under 1200. Any slight movement of the pedal will send it over 1300 and can bump off of 1400. Really have to be patient and light on the accelerator if I want to stay under 1200.

Now, when it regens.... on a hill, it's almost impossible to keep it under 1200. Fortunately, the regens are short lived when towing and they don't catch me on a steep grade all that often.

If that is what she runs for temps in stock form, it makes me think these engines were designed to handle 1400 without issue. I would guess that most folks out there towing are not monitoring their EGTs and are breaking 1400 regularly as well. If 1400 was too hot I would think Ford would be having a lot of warranty work to do on melted pistons.
Thoughts anyone??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by broncobilly_69; 06-29-2019 at 10:00 PM.
post #19 of 24 Old 07-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
What are you using to monitor egts. Anyone ever monitored egts on a bone stalk truck. I'd be curious to see there temps.
I've got a stock 2016 F-350. I hooked up a Banks iDash 'Super Guage' and it reads EGR's not EGT's. Not sure what the difference is. I'm used to EGT's on my 97 7.3 so this is somehow different.

Anyway, I tow a 9k trailer and going uphill here in NV I've seen over 1400, but not always. Usually it's around 1300 or so. On the flats it sinks to 700 or so.

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed installed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Added the Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps
post #20 of 24 Old 07-02-2019, 07:08 PM

I've been Chatting on FB messenger with One Stop Truck Shop, the vendor I bought my tunes from. In addition to boost leaks, they had me check my coolant level in the secondary coolant system.
Below is what they said about temps.
"as far as temperature goes we normally recommend keeping it under 1350 degrees for extended periods of time if you did go higher than that a general rule of thumb is the higher you go the shorty want to hold it there. On other vehicles with a hotter tune we have pushed in well above 1600 for brief spurts. Situation is like hammering down and getting onto the freeway or getting up to speed or drag racing stuff like that. I personally have gotten up to 1800 degrees during a 30 second or so race with no issues caused from it."

He also said "we can always get a revision for you and try to turn the fuel down a little bit on the top end to see if it helps"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode