Looking At a 2011 6.7 should I be worried? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 Old 05-31-2019, 05:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOTIE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
Find a later build date like 2013ish and newer. The 2011's gave ford a very bad name with the failure rates:

poor material used in bearings for turbo, glow plugs braking and eating a cylinder, sensors and dpf/eef system failures, lifter/valve mechanical failures eating the engine, coolant system leaks esp with radiators, The newer series of 6.7L are making big waves in reliability. but, the 2011's were not a good year plain and simple. Late 2012's and up had some changes and it seemed by 2013/2014 they had it all figured out.
Let me help with the details-
-turbo bearing failures largely attributed to early tuning, and being horrifically overspend. Yes, they fail in stock form but seldom.
-glow plugs never were an issue. The problem was a limited number of trucks in a specific vin range that had subpar heat treating on the valves which led to them cracking and destroying the motor. First step of troubleshooting was to pull the glow if and see if the tip was gone "ding ding" guess what, the bits of valve took the tip off.
-emission related sensors causing the truck to shut down was corrected by an updated flash that simply put the truck in limp mode instead of disabling the engine.
-the lifters are the same now as they were then. Higher miles and engine hours show the failures first, hence why the oldest trucks may start having problems.
-same story with the rads, higher miles equals more failures. 11-16 rads are a the same. Check body mounts for excessive movement before replacing the rad.

Don't broad brush 2011 as a bad year. Not the case at all.

Sorry but that’s not true at all. The early 2011 had ceramic material for the turbo bearings and failed stock or tuned. Then they went with steel bearings and the issue was basically gone...

The glow plugs were an issue plain and simple. They were melting the tips off and flat out breaking. All though it wasn’t widespread as my initial post failed to mention so my bad. It was enough of an issue to warrant being aware of. Because, we’ll, you know it’s so easy to just pull a glow plug when a buyer is looking at a used truck...

The DEF/NOX/DPF sensor issues were not just a programming error. They were simply failing even after multiple replacements hence why so many wanted to delete regardless of any warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjosh View Post
Well I don't like the sound of that, seeing as I how I bought a 2011 with 165k on it! LOL
Honestly, I had the same worries as you. If you can get it well below Blue Book, buy GAP insurance, and everything feels tight, then go for it. That being said, these trucks are nice but not really "rare" so there is no harm in just being patient and waiting for a low mile 2012-14 to come up.

It really just depends on your budget. But I agree, if it looks to have been modded and then put back to "stock" to sell, I would run in the other direction screaming.....

Cheers!
Don't mind him, he's just super negative towards the '11s. Any truck can have a failure regardless of the year.
Don’t mind Jman either. He can’t stand the fact that anyone would ever mention any shortcomings of a 2011 powerstroke. I openly bash ANY truck from ANY brand. I’ve owned Cummins and powerstroke (never owned a Duramax soon clue) and both are great platforms and each generation had their qwerks that are good to be knowledgeable about. My current 7.3L has plenty of items that needed attention when I bought it. The fleet of 2014 Cummins and Powerstrokes have been basically flawless besides normal maintenance and one small coolant hose on a powerstroke. I simply informed the thread starter of issues (hoping they would research more themselves). The 6.7L is a great engine.

So to the original thread starter I simply told you about the bad things that came up in the 2011s and from researching and personal experience with a fleet of Cummins and powerstrokes feel the 2014 and newer were just a must less risky build. There weren’t a whole lot of changes but enough to see a drastic reduction in shop time with 2014 and newer.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 05-31-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hahaha opened a small can of worms here ha!
So the dealership just got in a super clean 2012 6.7 with 44000 miles for about 6k more than the 2011 with 81000. The 2012 is priced at 39,900 and is a lariat. It is reaching the edge of my budget. However it is so clean 100% bone stock and I know the previous owner who is very anal about maintenance so it is probably worth the extra $$. I have expressed some of my concern of the 2011 with the dealership and they say I don't have anything to worry about and they say the 2012 is the same exact truck. The 2011 is a 350 where the 2012 is a 250. I am still not 100% sure which direction to go. If I went with the 2011 I could probably afford the ESP with it.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-31-2019, 11:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I purchased my 2011 F350 in 2014 with 97K. Since, the warranty replaced a turbo and radiator. I discovered I had a bad turbo when I changed a leaky coolant/oil turbo line not covered under warranty. I believe the leaky coolant/oil contributed to the turbo failing. Afterwards I deleted (straight 4in pipe, retained the stock exhaust tip, and sounds great) and tuned the truck using Tyrant tunes. The truck is at stock height with factory wheels. I tow a 15K 5th wheel up and down steep inclines with plenty of power to spare. That said, I am looking to upgrade the rear leaf springs, to provide additional support when towing. I have never beat on any vehicle I owned and completely love this truck. As of now she has 124K on her. At times, a passing thought comes to me about upgrading to a newer truck, but I know what I have right now, all the kinks have been worked out.
Get the 2011 and make it yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 Old 06-01-2019, 03:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaknives View Post
Hahaha opened a small can of worms here ha!
So the dealership just got in a super clean 2012 6.7 with 44000 miles for about 6k more than the 2011 with 81000. The 2012 is priced at 39,900 and is a lariat. It is reaching the edge of my budget. However it is so clean 100% bone stock and I know the previous owner who is very anal about maintenance so it is probably worth the extra $$. I have expressed some of my concern of the 2011 with the dealership and they say I don't have anything to worry about and they say the 2012 is the same exact truck. The 2011 is a 350 where the 2012 is a 250. I am still not 100% sure which direction to go. If I went with the 2011 I could probably afford the ESP with it.
You can get 40k mile 2015 platinums for 39k. You are getting hosed.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-04-2019, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOTIE View Post
You can get 40k mile 2015 platinums for 39k. You are getting hosed.
Yeah, $39k seems a bit high for a 2012. I mean loaded with low miles should be a little higher but that still seem too high.

Get the Blue book from KBB.com and don't go a dollar over it.

More will come if they don't take your deal.
post #16 of 28 Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought a new 2011 king ranch made in december 2010. Factory ordered and I took possession while it was being unloaded from the delivery truck, this way no one got to tear up the engine on a speedy test drive. Now with 50,000 miles it has been trouble free except a backup camera replacement.... Wife and I love our 2011.
post #17 of 28 Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ford Esp Best Place to Purchase

Hey Guys,
I am wondering if someone can point me in the direction of the best, cheapest place to buy a Ford ESP? I know I seen on here a while back that someone said they knew a guy that sold these for a really good deal, but now I cant find the post. I have looked into floodford but they will only go back to I believe 2014. I am in the middle of purchasing a 2011 f350 with 81000 on it.
I have also seen that Zeigler Ford online sales these plans for a good deal. Can anyone tell me if they are legit.
Thank you!
post #18 of 28 Old 06-11-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,094 Times in 2,003 Posts
Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...aler-cost.html

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #19 of 28 Old 06-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
This is the only online site that I've ever found that will let you play with coverage details. Joel won't sell an ESP on a 8-9 year old vehicle. You can play with years/mileage coverage and see how at what point the higher protection plans are no longer available. Example, you can only get a Premium plan for 2yrs/24k coverage.

https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/pricing/index.cfm

15 6.7 F350 CCSB 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire
Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2, Dieselsite fuel filter, DeeZee tailgate assist, Hellwig Rear Sway bar, Bilstein 5100s

dlr

**Support the Online Vendors!!! Want your best price, buy from Scott Pratt!! Get your truck in 3-4 weeks, order to delivered!!

post #20 of 28 Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I purchased my 11 F250 with 280k miles. But the oil was changed every 5-7k with records. At some point the PO did a DEF and EGR delete (and there is a mini-max in there).

So far i'm at about 300k and haven't had any issue expect with the brake booster (which I have replaced twice with a motorcraft part). I think the biggest issue people thing about is pre-mature turbo failure. But again, I am rocking 300k miles now on the stock turbo. I expect to get another 100k out of the vehicle before I consider parting with it, but by then no one will probably want a 2011 with 400k miles unless it's sweet deal. I wouldn't hesitate to grab it if the price is right.

For reference-
I paid 23k for a 2011 F-250 King Ranch trim @ 281k miles - Almost bought a 2013 and then a 2016 for a few grand with 150k less miles on both, but the service records on mine are what sold the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode