EGR or DPF Issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR or DPF Issues?

Have you had issues with the EGR cooler, or DPF clogging??? If so, approx. how many miles were on the engine when the issue happened. And, what's your driving/hauling/towing style.

I use my 2015 F350 quite a bit for towing trailers (mostly at interstate speeds), and am getting concerned that I'm going to have an issue without much warning (and the way my luck goes, I'll probably be far from home). Right now, I have just over 151,xxx miles on it. I contacted a local Ford dealer about cleaning the DPF...I was told that if it's running fine to just let it go (I got the impression is may not be serviceable). The same dealer told me that there is not a good way to check the EGR cooler )as to how clogged it is)...and not to worry about it until I get a trouble message.

Any responses would be very much appreciated. Thank-you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 02:34 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Last I knew the EGR cooler was serviceable. Not that it's easy to inspect for clogging but the internals can be replaced.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-26-2019, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine clogged under warranty, then again around 105k. Deleted it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-27-2019, 08:10 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
If the truck doesn't idle much and most of the driving is highway with a trailer, I wouldn't worry much at all. The dpf shouldn't have any major issues aside from egt probes.

Egr coolers can be a crap shoot, but the main reason for them clogging is simply idle time. If you don't idle the truck, you really don't have anything to be concerned with.

If you can delete, go for it... But, that isn't an option for a lot of people. The only thing that will leave you completely stranded are the egt sensors if they go bad. If the dpf starts clogging you will notice more frequent regens, its not something that's going to happen in short order. A clogged egr cooler can put you in limp mode but you will have time to get it to a shop. Its a fairly quick and easy job to swap the coolers on a 6.7 and won't leave you with much down time. They are right on top of the engine above the passenger side valve cover.

As the tech told you, the truck is running fine... Don't worry about it too much. As an example of a situation to be worried about it, take mine. I always have my dog with me, that means he needs AC during the summer and heat during the winter. That leads to a fair amount of idle time and IS going to lead to issues with the egr cooler and valve eventually. I am not worried about the dpf because I have a long enough drive that I don't need to interrupt the regen process. I will end up deleting at some point, but its more because I can't help myself... I like to tinker lol. The dpf/egr don't have the same impact on reliability that they did on the 6.4.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode