WIF/Fuel system failure, still after you did everything right? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-21-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WIF/Fuel system failure, still after you did everything right?

Had a 7.3l, ran great but underpowered, at 160k miles sold it. Bought a LBZ duramax because the 6.0l scared me, been a good truck so far and at 185k miles. I'm now wanting a '15 or '16 6.7l but the cp4 issues are the thing scaring me.

I'm wondering if anyone here has actually had an issue with a fuel system failure after doing all the right things. Lubricity fuel additives, drained the separator every month, filters every 15-20k and not ever running any hot tunes.

I see a lot of failures across the forums but not one of them said they did all of the above before the failure. Please chime in if it's happened to you. I work on my own vehicles and this likely won't have a warranty so reliability is a big factor.

Sold - Early 99 PSD CC LB 4x4
Volant Intake
Full 4" Exhaust
PHP Phoenix
35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-21-2019, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Wrote this on another forum earlier today....but...instead of venting...you can change it to worrying and think you might buy a pig in a poke...

Before you vent too much and feel like you are buying a pig in a poke....remember this...

Forums tend to magnify a problem into a colossal catastrophe from a mere mentioning of a possible issue. The 6.7 has been on the road nigh 10 years. If there was a bigger issue than what you are perceiving by reading the forums, the news channels, (CNN, HLN, FOX, CBS, ABC, etc) announcing problem identified and NHTSA would have Ford doing recalls right and left. In the nearly 10 years of production, there are probably upwards of 10 million or more 6.7 engines in service in the 250/350/450/550/650 trucks. The membership on the forum, any forum, is probably less than one percent of the ownership of vehicles with the 6.7.

So, stop reading the forums for problems...read the forums as reference should you have a problem in the future. Odds are in your favor to never have an issue.
HeavyAssault and UR2EZ like this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #3 of 11 Old 04-21-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
Wrote this on another forum earlier today....but...instead of venting...you can change it to worrying and think you might buy a pig in a poke...

Before you vent too much and feel like you are buying a pig in a poke....remember this...

Forums tend to magnify a problem into a colossal catastrophe from a mere mentioning of a possible issue. The 6.7 has been on the road nigh 10 years. If there was a bigger issue than what you are perceiving by reading the forums, the news channels, (CNN, HLN, FOX, CBS, ABC, etc) announcing problem identified and NHTSA would have Ford doing recalls right and left. In the nearly 10 years of production, there are probably upwards of 10 million or more 6.7 engines in service in the 250/350/450/550/650 trucks. The membership on the forum, any forum, is probably less than one percent of the ownership of vehicles with the 6.7.

So, stop reading the forums for problems...read the forums as reference should you have a problem in the future. Odds are in your favor to never have an issue.
While I understand your point, the issue is pretty obviously there with both the Ford and gm's. I'm more curious if the prentitive steps are actually working or if the, let's say, 1% chance of the cp4 going boom on you is going to happen regardless. Lots of people say they do the preventive steps, but can anyone say they have done the steps and still had a failure?

If nobody replies, that could be a good indication that the steps are in fact working and would be a great "reference" for the forum to do the same. Right?

Sold - Early 99 PSD CC LB 4x4
Volant Intake
Full 4" Exhaust
PHP Phoenix
35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-21-2019, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Garage
Lubricity in the fuel is the main thing I would be concerned about, and monitoring fuel pressure so you know when to change the filters and not starve the pump. Air = death to a fuel pump.
HeavyAssault likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
133k on the clock. I did most all of your parameters, I even added a DieselSite kit just cause it was cheap from another member. I'm not here complaining about the fuel system.
jman37 likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It comes down to how you care for your truck....if you want to use Valero diesel, well, have a separate fund for repairs. If you use quality diesel from a reputable station you shouldn't have problems. If you worry about it, it will just drive you nuts and you won't enjoy your truck.
HeavyAssault likes this.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #7 of 11 Old 04-22-2019, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Sounds like you need to sell your diesel and by a gas burner. I don't think you will ever stop your worries enough to enjoy your truck.
jman37 likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #8 of 11 Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
You pretty much answered your own question...

This topic has been popping up more and more lately. There is no reason to be afraid of the 6.7s fuel system... If they designed more filtration people would still fail to maintain it on time and would still end up here complaining.

I haven't seen a truck that was maintained as described above with a failed fuel system. That wasn't caused by gas or def contamination of course... Doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened, I am sure it has. If you change filters on time, fill up at high traffic stations, and use an additive... The hpfp really isn't anything to worry about. Ohh yah, DRAIN THE WATER... Seriously, just do it every other Monday.

The forum is where people come to vent and find solutions to a problem, not to share success stories. Word of mouth on the street is almost always based off a single vehicle. Either way, people will never give the whole story... Everyone with a problem will always tell you their vehicle has been "over maintained"... Go ask any diesel mechanic what those vehicles look like when torn down.

Do the maintenance, don't overthink it, and step on the loud pedal... At the end of the day, its just a diesel. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Just because you could abuse a 7.3 or 12v cummins doesn't mean abuse will get you above 250k miles... Modern trucks just need a bit more care because of the tolerances.
Heavy_GD and joebuck like this.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,966 Posts
Mentioned: 404 Post(s)
Quoted: 3042 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
agreed, the days of a maintenance free diesel are long gone.

You have to take care of them and over maintain because you cannot trust the fuel anymore.
joebuck and Hydro like this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #10 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I second this statement. I traded my 2012 with 287,000 miles on the odometer. I never ran fuel treatment, however I did drain and change the fuel filters when the truck told me it was time to and I always buy diesel from somewhere that deals in high volume sales. I.E. Loves, Pilot, Flying J and here in Texas I have always received good fuel from Buc-ee's. When I travel though I always stop at one of the major brand truck stops listed even if gas station across the street is $0.30 cheaper. It just isn't worth the headache dealing with a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
It comes down to how you care for your truck....if you want to use Valero diesel, well, have a separate fund for repairs. If you use quality diesel from a reputable station you shouldn't have problems. If you worry about it, it will just drive you nuts and you won't enjoy your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode