General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 Old 12-21-2018, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your filtering an additional % of oil at the same time as your normal filter is doing its job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 12-21-2018, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post
Not sure I understand what a "bypass" filter does. What is it that you're bypassing?
The filter system I'm talking about is mounted away from the engine, the vehicle frame is usually where it's mounted. It has an adapter that connects to where the oil filter is installed on the engine, 2 hoses are connected to the adapter (oil in and oil out), those hoses are connected to the remote filter housing, two oil filters are mounted on the remote filter housing, the first filter is a full flow filter (95% of the oil runs through it) and the second filter is a bypass filter because only 5% of the oil goes through it and it is a 2 micron filter.

The system will add an additional 4 Qts of oil capacity to the system, and the filters are changed in a different way than you might be used to, the full flow filter is changed after 10-20,000 miles have been driven and the bypass and full flow filters are changed after another 20-40,000 miles has been driven. So your engine is effectively getting an oil change about every 45 minutes that the engine is running at an RPM equivalent to driving down the road @ 45 mph. You can extend or shorten this interval if you take a sample of the oil and send it off to be analyzed, when you get the report back (usually a few days) it will tell you if the oil is good to continue using or that it needs to be changed. I have this system on my truck and it now holds a full 4 gallons of oil.

One of the biggest known issues with the new power strokes is fuel dilution, so, if you're mainly driving city miles you will need to change the oil more frequently because of the amount of fuel that will be in the oil, so the recommended oil change intervals from Ford should be cut in half in order to protect the internal engine components from excessive wear which could lead to engine failure.

I hope that this clears up the confusion.
MrTommy and HeavyAssault like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode