General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans flush - the dealership said do not do it.

I just dropped off my 2011 F250 6.7L with a local ford dealer for a transmission fluid flush and coolant flush. The service adviser told me they recommended not flushing the transmission since it has high millage (281k). Does that make sense to anyone here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 AM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 3932 Post(s)
a Ford flush consist of changing all the fluid and nothing more the name "flush" gets peoples imaginations going, it should just be called a "fluid exchange machine" so what was his alternate suggestion? do nothing?

and does the service advisor daily drive a Prius ?
MrTommy likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 AM

also whats the tranny service been this far ?
HLBeef likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Some people think at that mileage the fluid has particles in it which might be keeping your tranny alive and "filling in the voids" and new fluid will bring up issues that weren't there. I think it's insane they said don't do it though. It's your truck, you're paying for it.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #5 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
a Ford flush consist of changing all the fluid and nothing more the name "flush" gets peoples imaginations going, it should just be called a "fluid exchange machine" so what was his alternate suggestion? do nothing?

and does the service advisor daily drive a Prius ?
Well - they said they can not do a normal fluid exchange. They said their machine would "only" allow them to back flush the fluid with chemicals that are intended to remove any oxidation in the gear box (which I also don't understand why that would be needed since... well oil and daily usage. The guy probably drives a 2019 base model mustang from what I could tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
also whats the tranny service been this far ?
No idea on the service history if any. It isn't acting up/ slipping. It does make some odd shifts some times due to my Mini Maxx tuner that is in there, but if I set the tune to stock or "tow", it is very predictable. That's not a mechanical problem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
Some people think at that mileage the fluid has particles in it which might be keeping your tranny alive and "filling in the voids" and new fluid will bring up issues that weren't there. I think it's insane they said don't do it though. It's your truck, you're paying for it.
I was just as surprised to hear the dealership say it. It's a torque converter and a gear box. As far as I am concerned, the oil needs to be replaced.... :S
post #6 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler789 View Post
I just dropped off my 2011 F250 6.7L with a local ford dealer for a transmission fluid flush and coolant flush. The service adviser told me they recommended not flushing the transmission since it has high millage (281k). Does that make sense to anyone here?
More often than not changing all the fluid via a special machine or just multiple drain and refills on a high mileage unit exposed issues and just caused customers to blame a failing unit on the person/organization that changed the fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
It could just be personal experience but the dealer is just trying to be cautious. I would never in a million years drain all the old fluid out of a trans with 281k. its a ticking time bomb at that point and im wagering if he moves through with a complete fluid exchange he will have issues sooner than later.

[COLOR="Black"][/See my words in red. Its a general rule of thumb hat saved MANY folks from replacing the transmission or rebuilding when dealing with high mile units. You and other may not like or agree with the mindset but again im coming from personal experience and there are always exceptions to generalities but I would highly discourage the complete fluid exchange of high mileage units unless you have the coin/time for a new/rebuilt unit soon enough. But if you are a gambling man I say go for the flush, heated fluid exchange, vacuum whatever they use and keep us updated, just don't be mad or surprised if you experience issues soon. COLOR]
Old King Coal and bc_vickers like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
More often than not changing all the fluid via a special machine or just multiple drain and refills on a high mileage unit exposed issues and just caused customers to blame a failing unit on the person/organization that changed the fluid

It could just be personal experience but the dealer is just trying to be cautious. I would never in a million years drain all the old fluid out of a trans with 281k. its a ticking time bomb at that point and im wagering if he moves through with a complete fluid exchange he will have issues sooner than later.

[COLOR="Black"][/See my words in red. Its a general rule of thumb hat saved MANY folks from replacing the transmission or rebuilding when dealing with high mile units. You and other may not like or agree with the mindset but again im coming from personal experience and there are always exceptions to generalities but I would highly discourage the complete fluid exchange of high mileage units unless you have the coin/time for a new/rebuilt unit soon enough. But if you are a gambling man I say go for the flush, heated fluid exchange, vacuum whatever they use and keep us updated, just don't be mad or surprised if you experience issues soon. COLOR]
No I totally agree. It's just funny because dealers will typically do whatever as long as the customer is paying and it's rare for them to offer good advice lol. At that mileage though I wouldn't probably do one either.
JustinOOO9 likes this.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #8 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 AM

if they are using chemicals and doing a "back flush " they are not using an actual ford heated flush machine IMO and that may be since in my understanding Ford did not force dealers to buy this equipment ( that's why many don't offer the service at all )

that dealer probably services a lot of brands but no one is forcing them to add chemicals

personally, i would not let them touch my transmission

6.0 flush pdf
post #9 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
My dealer told me the same thing and I was only at 100K. I told him to do whatever but I wanted fluid and filter changed.

2012 F250 Crew Lariat FX4

Stock? Sure, that's what we'll call it.
post #10 of 36 Old 12-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grish76 View Post
My dealer told me the same thing and I was only at 100K. I told him to do whatever but I wanted fluid and filter changed.

Shows how much he knows. The first service interval in the owners manual is 150k.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode