Trans flush - the dealership said do not do it. - Page 4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

12Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 Unread 07-01-2019, 03:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjosh View Post
I found something disturbing in the trans pan when I took it out. I found 9 small 1/4" (maybe) long roller bearings stuck to the magnet. That can't be good...

I can say that transmission has worked great while I've had it. 7k miles and nothing but smooth shifts and great performance.

Im getting nervous. I have my big trip cross country on Wednesday. I have to tow my stuff and my little VW from Omaha to Virginia Beach, via Tennessee. What would you guys suggest as far as road side assistance?

I wasn't worried at all about this trip until I dropped that pan....
Is there a dealer, or a Powerstroke shop up there that you trust? I would take them up and explain how you found them. Maybe gain some insight. They typically don't put extra bearings in there.
Have you had the truck from day 1? If not, it is possible that the PO had work done in it and those little pieces are left over.
As far as roadside? I'm an AMA member so use their coverage. Only called once when the RV blew a tire, but it worked out well.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Unread 07-01-2019, 08:26 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If the last 7k have seemed fine...sounds like previous transmission work left you a few "Easter eggs".

Have you pulled an OASIS report to see what might have been done at a dealer? Are you running I40??

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 36 Unread 07-01-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Heavy Assault and Evil Twin, I am not the Original owner. I bought it with 164k in the clock. It’s shifted great since I got it.

I did pull the oasis report before I bought it and there was no history of tranny work. Not sure what’s going on there. When I was underneath it didn’t “look” like anyone had every pulled that transmission but that doesn’t mean anything.

I’m going with the “it works fine, don’t stress it” approach and get good road side service for now. Hopefully I reach VA in one piece and the. I can find a good diesel/tranny shop down there and get it looked at.

Of course, it it makes it there no problem... I may just not worry about it. I may just go find a used one at the junk yard and have it built up. The just swap it for comforts sake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Unread 07-01-2019, 12:00 PM

Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,743 Posts
Mentioned: 675 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Quote:
For the skeptics on service history - I wouldn't do a hot flush but drain the pan and refill which replaces a good bit of fluid, or as others have done (the more expensive way) drain, refill, drive, drain again, refill - which will replace most of the used oil.
whats the difference between this and a hotflush other than you do not get all the fluid ?

as soon as you drive the truck the fluid heats up and is the exact ( EXACT ) same thing as a hot flush

hot flush at ford = remove old hot fluid /fill with new hot fluid at the same rate

reason for it being hot = keep the cooling circuit open to let the fluid flow in and out at full rate

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 36 Unread 07-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjosh View Post
So I did the drain, filter replacement and refill. I DID reuse the gasket. It looks to be a reusable one.

And The "hobby Shop" is one of the DIY garages. Most every Military base has one for the service members to use to save money on car repairs.

Brakes went easy, filter change and refill went easy but I found something disturbing in the trans pan when I took it out. I found 9 small 1/4" (maybe) long roller bearings stuck to the magnet. That can't be good...

I can say that transmission has worked great while I've had it. 7k miles and nothing but smooth shifts and great performance.

Im getting nervous. I have my big trip cross country on Wednesday. I have to tow my stuff and my little VW from Omaha to Virginia Beach, via Tennessee. What would you guys suggest as far as road side assistance?

I wasn't worried at all about this trip until I dropped that pan....
Did you happen to take a picture of the bearings? Chances are its a thrust bearing that is now missing a few rollers.

FYI, these are now on the website.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498955-a-1-tra...6r140-sbp.html

Just waiting on pics to get the other one up on there.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-05-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #36 of 36 Unread 07-05-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I thought I took a picture but it appears I didn’t. I have them in my box of goodies but I’m mid-move.

On a positive note, the drive from Omaha to Nashville was smooth as butter and totally uneventful. I averaged 13.5 almost 14mpg carrying a total of 14440 lbs with the trailer.

I haven’t ever towed a long distance or with any weight but the truck just cruises!!! I loved it. If was very sure footed and extremely easy to drove even with a load. Even with the bearing scare I am still very impressed and satisfied with my truck.

I will take pictures and post them when we get to Virginia Beach. We make the Nashville/Va Beach drive tomorrow at 6:30 am. Should take about 11 hours.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

On the road again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in