When did you change front hub bearings? - Page 6 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFX4 View Post
Hey, Old King Coal. I got my units from Auto Parts Wholesalers. They carried about 8 brands and I selected Timkens. Came in what presented as an orange/black Timken box with the correct part numbers. I don’t remember whose name was on the inner bearings. I was just looking to find a USA somewhere and did not.
I do know my rig is 15 years old but I’m from the old school that meant if you took care of something it would last almost forever. And my truck has been babied. I just have to adapt to modern thinking that any vehicle is a throwaway with a certain life span. It’s at the point that every month something surfaces to drain your wallet. This months reminder is an alternator light that comes on briefly. It has 2 alternators about 18 months old. Some posters say this isn’t an alternator problem but a wire that is rubbing somewhere and only controls the light and not the charging system. Well, good luck tracing a single wire under the hood/dash in this thing that disappears in multiple harnesses.
On the subject of Dodges I’ve taken a peek at new gassers but the thing that turns me off is making the boxes out of old scrap metal. Every 2014 and earlier Dodge I see has the wheelwells rusting out. This is in North Carolina, not Boston.

It looks like we have two different bearings, and Timken makes bearings all over the world, so that explains why mines USA made and yours isn’t. I thought we had the same bearings.

For what these trucks cost 15 years shouldn’t be that long of a time. Depends on miles I guess. I don’t know that the vehicle is less quality than before, but the quality of the replacement parts has absolutely gone to sht. It’s truly a shame that we have to put a pretty good amount of effort into finding quality replacement parts. If you buy a Timken bearing, it should be top quality, regardless wether is was made in the US or Taiwan. If you have an 8 year old making bearing for $3 a week I guess you can’t expect too much. We should at least be able to buy OEM replacements from a dealer, but, like you, even if you buy Motorcraft you end up with Chinese aftermarket parts.

I wish you the best of luck on your truck. Maybe it’s just a short and you can pop the hood and it will be easy for you to find.

On driving a Dodge, I was just be facetious. Ford and Chevrolet would BOTH have to go to China and the supply of used trucks dry up before I would drive a Dodge.
mohead1 likes this.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
that disclaimer is actually from Timken

Yes, I meant to say it was taken from 1As web site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #53 of 61 Old 12-24-2018, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just did my second one at 56,000 miles :-O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 61 Old 12-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
When did you change front hub bearings?

Getting ready to swap out the original passenger side at 280,030 on my 06. Did the driver side at 235,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #55 of 61 Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10mike View Post
broken hose or not, at 215k miles, they were probably about done anyway
Im at 289k, bought at 173k mines getting bad too. Guess its time to spend some money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #56 of 61 Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Replaced one a 126k and the other at 198k.
post #57 of 61 Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
So where did the $200 ones come from or is it some secret squirrel thing...im at 150k on a 2008 F450, front calipers and a right side lower balljoint due to zerk being knocked off and corrosion got in. Replaced both of course. Other than that all good...knock on some heavy *** wood lol....No roughness or looseness in bearings. Rear driveshaft center bearing has some play...got one sittin there. Next time home will change it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #58 of 61 Old 02-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohead1 View Post
So where did the $200 ones come from or is it some secret squirrel thing...im at 150k on a 2008 F450, front calipers and a right side lower balljoint due to zerk being knocked off and corrosion got in. Replaced both of course. Other than that all good...knock on some heavy *** wood lol....No roughness or looseness in bearings. Rear driveshaft center bearing has some play...got one sittin there. Next time home will change it

Rockauto has Timken for $190 to $220 depending on 2WD or 4WD.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

post #59 of 61 Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
S h i t t, just realized i was in the newer truck forum....well anyway...my old beast is truckin along...but im almost fanatical with the maint and watnot

post #60 of 61 Old 02-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
I saw that you said it was an 08 so thats what I plugged in to get those prices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode