When did you change front hub bearings? - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,750 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so if your talking needle bearings your talking 04 under

and of course, labor won't be covered on a DIY repair
My Timken had made in USA on them

https://www.timken.com/pdf/10856_Whe...ll%20Sheet.pdf

[IMG]The Timken bearing plant in Altavista, Virginia invested in specific upgrades and improvements to consistently manufacture Ford Super Duty wheel hub units for reliability, long life and quality performance.[/IMG]

but i have heard of others getting non usa so maybe it changed after this printed in 2015 or maybe their replacement line is not the same as they supply to motorcraft /

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ZMANN; 12-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When did you change front hub bearings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFX4 View Post
I replaced both units around 155k because I was taking the front end apart, anyway. Had no noise or anything from the bearings. I did replace them with Timkens because of all the good press and ĎMade in USAí claims. However, when I got mine ( about 2 years ago) I looked the box all over and the bearing and found no such claim. A few months later I ran into a couple Timken guys out to lunch in Western NC from a plant nearby that did not make those units and they assured me the units are from offshore. I thought as much because if they were USA that would be plastered all over the box with American flags. Fast forward 12k miles and the right side needle bearing completely disintegrated. Iím 66 years old and when I hear Timken I think of a quality product but I guess itís time to realize thatís the world we live in. For all you guys who claim ĎMade in USAí please look your boxes over and tell me if you see that in print. Maybe I got the prototypes from China or Thailand.

Sucks bro. When I say ďUSA made TimkenĒ the box has nothing to do with it. I donít recall any origin printed on the box, nor a sticker with any info. What I do remember, and where I got USA made claim from, was on the back side of the hub assembly on the large bearing it self were stamped the words ďMade in USA.Ē

I know that buying a Timken bearing doesnít guarantee and American product anymore, but the one on my truck most definitely is.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #43 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
This is from 1A Autos.

Note:
These parts are authentic Timken brand products that are supplied and packaged by Timken. In some cases, Timken will source parts from other high quality suppliers such as SKF and Koyo. These parts are subjected to the very same testing and quality standards as all Timken products.

I looked mine over with a fine tooth comb and nowhere did they say USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
so if your talking needle bearings your talking 04 under

and of course, labor won't be covered on a DIY repair
My Timken had made in USA on them

https://www.timken.com/pdf/10856_Whe...ll%20Sheet.pdf

[IMG]The Timken bearing plant in Altavista, Virginia invested in specific upgrades and improvements to consistently manufacture Ford Super Duty wheel hub units for reliability, long life and quality performance.[/IMG]

but i have heard of others getting non usa so maybe it changed after this printed in 2015 or maybe their replacement line is not the same as they supply to motorcraft /

Zmann, if I knew for a fact that a Motorcraft unit was USA I would buy it but in the past year Iíve installed a Motorcraft a/c compressor, condenser and fan clutch. All 3 made in China. Right on the box.
I think Ford should just build Super Dutyís in China if thatís where most of the parts come from.
Yes, my truck is an Ď04. Did the later IFS eliminate the needle bearing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #45 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 PM

later hubs use a sealed bearing still replaceable but much better
you can not retrofit due to the 05 up having a larger stub shaft

6.0 flush pdf
post #46 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
This is from 1A Autos.

Note:
These parts are authentic Timken brand products that are supplied and packaged by Timken. In some cases, Timken will source parts from other high quality suppliers such as SKF and Koyo. These parts are subjected to the very same testing and quality standards as all Timken products.

I looked mine over with a fine tooth comb and nowhere did they say USA.
And? Where did you purchase yours? Whoever made the bearing will stamp it, whether it be SKF, FAG, Timken, National or whoever. If there's no manufacturer stamped on the bearing, I don't know what to tell you, but chances are it's not a Timken. Probably not even a name brand.

Quote:
Zmann, if I knew for a fact that a Motorcraft unit was USA I would buy it but in the past year Iíve installed a Motorcraft a/c compressor, condenser and fan clutch. All 3 made in China. Right on the box.
I think Ford should just build Super Dutyís in China if thatís where most of the parts come from.
Yes, my truck is an Ď04. Did the later IFS eliminate the needle bearing?
Roll down to your local Ford dealer and get one in hand. Look for it's origin. Some parts are never made here unfortunately, as my condenser is Mexican made. Hell, my engine is made in Mexico, but friend, your truck is 15 years old. I believe the Feds require a manufacturer supply parts for a vehicle for 10 years after manufacture date, after that the aftermarket takes over. That means you're going to get parts from all over the world, even worse than before.

It irritates me enough that my engine is Mexican. If they start outsourcing Super Duties to China, I'd be forced to do something drastic, might even would drive a Dodge.

No IFS on these trucks, but no spindle bearings either. It's a sealed hub assembly.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

post #47 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycrane View Post
I bought the Timken set which I'm pretty sure who make the Motorcraft front hub. $200 delivered to my door including new mounting studs. I'm very happy with them and replaced my vacuum hoses at the same time to make sure I don't have any more issues.
Where do you buy these hubs

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
post #48 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohead1 View Post
Where do you buy these hubs
I got the same thing at the same price from Rockauto.

post #49 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Hey, Old King Coal. I got my units from Auto Parts Wholesalers. They carried about 8 brands and I selected Timkens. Came in what presented as an orange/black Timken box with the correct part numbers. I donít remember whose name was on the inner bearings. I was just looking to find a USA somewhere and did not.
I do know my rig is 15 years old but Iím from the old school that meant if you took care of something it would last almost forever. And my truck has been babied. I just have to adapt to modern thinking that any vehicle is a throwaway with a certain life span. Itís at the point that every month something surfaces to drain your wallet. This months reminder is an alternator light that comes on briefly. It has 2 alternators about 18 months old. Some posters say this isnít an alternator problem but a wire that is rubbing somewhere and only controls the light and not the charging system. Well, good luck tracing a single wire under the hood/dash in this thing that disappears in multiple harnesses.
On the subject of Dodges Iíve taken a peek at new gassers but the thing that turns me off is making the boxes out of old scrap metal. Every 2014 and earlier Dodge I see has the wheelwells rusting out. This is in North Carolina, not Boston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #50 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
This is from 1A Autos.

Note:

that disclaimer is actually from Timken

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode