When did you change front hub bearings? - Page 4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 61 Old 12-06-2018, 05:12 AM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,750 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you do approve that quote you will want a tub of

Old King Coal likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah it is crazy to think about getting that done at the dealer. They wanted $257 for labor and $672 for parts --- for one RF HUB Assembly. I think I mentioned it was the LF in the original post I was wrong. It so loud it sounds like its coming from the driver's side haha.
post #33 of 61 Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SO now I need to figure out what parts and for how much, what labor and at what rate, and how long can I drive like this. Or can I do the job myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeardnsb View Post
SO now I need to figure out what parts and for how much, what labor and at what rate, and how long can I drive like this. Or can I do the job myself?

Dude surely you can do it yourself. On my dually it was 8 nuts for the wheel, 8 for the wheel spacer, 3 for the locking hub, the big *** snap ring, 2 bolts for the brake caliper, 2 for the brake caliper bracket, 4 for the hub assembly itself and a vacuum line. Thatís off the top of my head so I mightíve missed a bolt, but itís a real simple job. YouTube it and youíll see.

I bought my wheel bearing from a big online parts dealer. It was a USA made Timken and I paid right at $200 for it shipped to my door.

For me the hardest part was getting a set of snap ring pliers big enough to handle the axel snap ring.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 61 Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old King Coal View Post
Dude surely you can do it yourself. On my dually it was 8 nuts for the wheel, 8 for the wheel spacer, 3 for the locking hub, the big *** snap ring, 2 bolts for the brake caliper, 2 for the brake caliper bracket, 4 for the hub assembly itself and a vacuum line. Thatís off the top of my head so I mightíve missed a bolt, but itís a real simple job. YouTube it and youíll see.

I bought my wheel bearing from a big online parts dealer. It was a USA made Timken and I paid right at $200 for it shipped to my door.

For me the hardest part was getting a set of snap ring pliers big enough to handle the axel snap ring.

Go to any Case Construction Equipment dealer and get a pair of these snap ring pliers pretty cheap. I have had the same pair for 17 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backhoebill For This Useful Post:
Old King Coal (12-06-2018)
post #36 of 61 Old 12-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you

Thanks for all the input. I'll start getting a list going and knock this out on my own.
post #37 of 61 Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoebill View Post
Go to any Case Construction Equipment dealer and get a pair of these snap ring pliers pretty cheap. I have had the same pair for 17 years.
I will order me a set of those. Thank you!

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

post #38 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I replaced both units around 155k because I was taking the front end apart, anyway. Had no noise or anything from the bearings. I did replace them with Timkens because of all the good press and ĎMade in USAí claims. However, when I got mine ( about 2 years ago) I looked the box all over and the bearing and found no such claim. A few months later I ran into a couple Timken guys out to lunch in Western NC from a plant nearby that did not make those units and they assured me the units are from offshore. I thought as much because if they were USA that would be plastered all over the box with American flags. Fast forward 12k miles and the right side needle bearing completely disintegrated. Iím 66 years old and when I hear Timken I think of a quality product but I guess itís time to realize thatís the world we live in. For all you guys who claim ĎMade in USAí please look your boxes over and tell me if you see that in print. Maybe I got the prototypes from China or Thailand.
post #39 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 AM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,750 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
let me just add if you get your Timkens from anyplace like Amazon or other price to low to be true you stand a chance of getting a counterfeit bearing
and 0 recourse

1AAuto takes the Timken 1-2 year warranty and self-covers them for life

6.0 flush pdf
post #40 of 61 Old 12-08-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
let me just add if you get your Timkens from anyplace like Amazon or other price to low to be true you stand a chance of getting a counterfeit bearing
and 0 recourse

1AAuto takes the Timken 1-2 year warranty and self-covers them for life
Something to consider but most retailers will have no idea where a part is made. Or will tell you what you want to hear. Depending on the part a warranty is little more than a gesture. The company will send me another one but will they be under the truck with me all day replacing a defective part? I didnít even bother contacting the retailer when the needle bearing gave up. Oh, send us the bad one and weíll ship out another one. Meanwhile, the truck is on jackstands for a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode