General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front End Clunk

I have a 2012 F250 and it has been clunking at low speeds, below 10 mph. I have read all the posts on here about clunking and they don't sound quite like mine so here it goes. Mine is making a good thud/clunk when I am at low speeds mainly when making turns. It doesn't seem to happen when I go over speed bumps or pot holes. It started happening only when backing up and making turns at the same time. Now it is happening when going forward too. For example if I back into a parking spot and then pull forward out of it. It will most likely clunk twice. It isn't a metal on metal sound, it's a thud. You can also clearly feel it in your feet. I have looked under it and don't see anything that catches my eye. Anybody have an experience similar to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Front End Clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraz7 View Post
I have a 2012 F250 and it has been clunking at low speeds, below 10 mph. I have read all the posts on here about clunking and they don't sound quite like mine so here it goes. Mine is making a good thud/clunk when I am at low speeds mainly when making turns. It doesn't seem to happen when I go over speed bumps or pot holes. It started happening only when backing up and making turns at the same time. Now it is happening when going forward too. For example if I back into a parking spot and then pull forward out of it. It will most likely clunk twice. It isn't a metal on metal sound, it's a thud. You can also clearly feel it in your feet. I have looked under it and don't see anything that catches my eye. Anybody have an experience similar to this?

It would be a good idea to have someone look at all the tie rod ends and ball joints as you move the wheel back and forth. How many miles? I just replaced ball joints and tie rod ends in my F450. But it has 195,000 VERY ABUSED miles. I took my truck to a small tire shop for an alignment, and they checked it first, so as not to waste their time trying to align it. They checked it for me for mo charge. It took all of five minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by backhoebill; 06-29-2018 at 05:30 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has 100,000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I agree with taking it to a tire shop to have it all checked over. If they find nothing then grease the splines on the slip yoke.

Maybe ball joints, but this usually maninfests over bumps.

Maybe need to regrease the slip yoke in the drive shaft where it goes into the transmission. Motorcraft has a teflon grease for this, it was an issue on some 150s.

Could be a u joint, I've had bad u joints do that. When they get really bad they sound like raccoons fighting over a box of lucky charms while your driving.

Could be a cab mount or a swaybar link. I saw a tsb about a bad cab mount needing a spacer or something. Have someone rock the cab back and forth as hard as possible, (2 big guys bouncing on the running boards see saw style) while you listen to the cab mounts. Under the driver floor part in particular. 2xl big should be good enough, 5-6xl might snap em off...

Hopefully not something in the rear gears.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you have a long bed, chances are you have a two piece driveshaft. If so, the mid shaft bearing is most likely your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode