LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-28-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Limp Mode

Hi,

I am new to Ford trucks and wondering how Limp mode works on the Fords. Does it limit the speed you can go? How far you can go? ect.

The reason I ask is I travel in some remote areas with my family and the issues with the DEF system has me a little worried, I do not want to be out in the middle of no where in the winter and not be able to make it to the dealer on limp mode.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-28-2017, 04:23 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It can be both, speed and distance. If you have concerns and don't want to do deletes you might not want to chance making the evening news.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 07-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-poke View Post
Hi,

I am new to Ford trucks and wondering how Limp mode works on the Fords. Does it limit the speed you can go? How far you can go? ect.

The reason I ask is I travel in some remote areas with my family and the issues with the DEF system has me a little worried, I do not want to be out in the middle of no where in the winter and not be able to make it to the dealer on limp mode.

Thanks,
Oh my goodness. I was told when the dealer changes the oil he tops off the DEF fluid and that I will most likely never see the warning light. So far in 10,000 miles and 1 oil change that has been true. If it is going to keep you up at night just carry a bottle with you. The truck uses DEF very slowly so a gallon jug will get you back to civilization. And while the fluid does have a shelf life, it lasts a long time.

Ken
2013 F350 Lariat
SRW, 8' Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
i carry a spare 2.5 gallon jug of DEF in the bed of my pickup in bright sunlight, I use it up when I need to, and that's that...I travel long distance many many times a year (600+ miles a day is long distance) and I've found that carrying a extra jug of cheap def fits the bill.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list
post #5 of 16 Old 07-29-2017, 03:42 AM
N.S.D.Q.

2.5 gallons of DEF do nothing when the DEF heater goes out or there is some other system fault. I tell you the more I absorb about the systems in these trucks, the faults, and the end results that happen I'm glad I went to Jenny Craig. It's almost criminal to let something as simple as emissions output leave you on the side of the road.
HLBeef and TaxmanHog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 Old 07-29-2017, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
2.5 gallons of DEF do nothing when the DEF heater goes out or there is some other system fault. I tell you the more I absorb about the systems in these trucks, the faults, and the end results that happen I'm glad I went to Jenny Craig. It's almost criminal to let something as simple as emissions output leave you on the side of the road.

You act like an emissions fault is a common occurrence when the reality is that they are very rare. The truck is worry free. Has loads of power and is super reliable, while being much friendlier to our environment.

If you need to justify making your truck less environmentally friendly don't trash a reliable truck, just admit you wanted to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken
2013 F350 Lariat
SRW, 8' Bed
post #7 of 16 Old 07-29-2017, 04:13 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghenson View Post
You act like an emissions fault is a common occurrence when the reality is that they are very rare. The truck is worry free. Has loads of power and is super reliable, while being much friendlier to our environment.

If you need to justify making your truck less environmentally friendly don't trash a reliable truck, just admit you wanted to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you think I'm trashing a truck you are VERY mistaken. I responded to the post with information. Your interpretation of my information is your opinion only.

Very rare? Your opinion isn't based on statistical reality and neither is mine.
Worry free? Tell that to guys who had trucks shut down due to a bad EGT sensor while driving on the HWY. That does seem to have been fixed last I have heard thru PCM recals.
BTW nothing built these days is worry free.

Emissions systems are killing the reliability due to the fact the whole truck is shutdown when there is a simple fault. There is NO reason to have to pull over and wait for a tow just cause a DEF fluid heater isn't working. It DOES happen, maybe not to ever truck at certain mileage but it does have problems.

The OP was expressing a concern about being left stranded over the DEF system operation. Carrying more fluid isn't a real solution as it seems to be your answer to the OP. Pour all the DEF in you want, it the heater is out you will not drive anywhere. DEF usage will vary based upon driving styles. Anyone towing regularly will see the alerts before oil change requirements based on OEM intervals. Better to know WHAT could happen to make a plan.

post #8 of 16 Old 07-29-2017, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
This is the scenario @HeavyAssault is referring too: The following is purely hypothetical.
Took the wife and kids out to cut down our own Christmas tree, boy was it cold. It was probably -40 so I left the truck running but apparently the emissions controls won't let the engine idle for more than 15 minutes. I didn't know that and where where out of earshot when it shut off. You know the Mrs, shes gotta find that perfect tree. We where out there for a good long while and when we came back to the truck and it was off. Don't you know it was so cold out the DEF turned into a slushi and the DEF heater wasn't working so the truck went into Idle Only mode.....

The following account is real, thank the Lord they where somewhere safe.
https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...d-weather.html

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
post #9 of 16 Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghenson View Post
Oh my goodness. I was told when the dealer changes the oil he tops off the DEF fluid and that I will most likely never see the warning light. So far in 10,000 miles and 1 oil change that has been true. If it is going to keep you up at night just carry a bottle with you. The truck uses DEF very slowly so a gallon jug will get you back to civilization. And while the fluid does have a shelf life, it lasts a long time.
I am not worried about running out of DEF, I am worried about a sensor or a heater going out and weather it will shut the truck down when I am in 200 miles away from the nearest town in the middle of winter in Wyoming.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Garage
my 11 DEF heater went out the day before hitting the road on a 2400 mile journey. If it would of crapped out the next day or two, we could of been stuck in very remote places with my wife, two kids ( 5 and 7 at the time ) and my service dog. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling is it.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
3.31 ELOD 4X4 6.7 Power stroke
01/24/2017 110,000 MI
S&B CAI
SCT X4 Tuner
Running a tow tune by AMDP
( on-demand exhaust brake from the AMDP tune).LED interior,LED AUX back-up,Westin HDX grill guard,High-idle,Aux 55 Gal Transfer tank,Draw-Tite Hide-A-Hitch gooseneck,LED puddle lights.4000x2 LED lights up front for dark country roads. Access Low profile bed cover.
Roof clearance lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode