Is This Noise Normal? (I'm thinking No) - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 06-13-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I haven't updated because I'm still waiting on answers lol. To me it does sound similar to injector noise, that was also one of my thoughts. Dealer called me this morning to let me know that all their diesel techs are insisting they've never heard that in a 6.7 before, but are completely stumped of the source. So now they're waiting on Ford to send out an engineer. I was like alright, guess I'll just keep racking up the miles on the 150 you gave me haha.
backhoebill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 06-13-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Sounds like the spinner on "game of life".. my truck definitely doesn't do that nor have I heard any of them in my brother in laws fleet do that.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-14-2017, 04:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Does/did it get louder as the rpms went up? I wonder if it isn't an air or exhaust leak. @kaya , have you heard this on 11-12s?

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 06-14-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 06-14-2017, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Don't believe I've heard that specific one before. Sounds relative to engine speed. I'd start by trying to pin point the area with a stethoscope. Maybe pull the belt off. Easy enough to do.
Almost sounds like the vacuum harness is vibrating against something. Could even be the vacuum pump itself. Shouldn't be too difficult to find with a stethoscope tho.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
post #15 of 18 Old 06-14-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldn't say that it gets louder as RPMs go up, but it definitely seems to stay consistent with the engine speed. RPMs go up and it sounds as if its "spinning" faster and same effect when RPMs get lower. Granted, I'm going by memory and my video clip since dealer has had the truck for 2 weeks at this point. They called me again later on in the day yesterday asking if I had added any DEF. So I said, well since I had only had the truck a week and a half and the display was showing DEF level was fine I didn't add any. He didn't elaborate on why he was asking that though so I have no idea what theory they were working with that one. Ahhhh well...another day in the 150 I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankf300 For This Useful Post:
backhoebill (06-14-2017)
post #16 of 18 Old 06-24-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So another update on this....yesterday I get a call in the morning that my truck is ready! Engineers told them to drain the fuel system, replace the filters, and replace the low pressure fuel pump. I take the 2 hour trip there, hand em back the keys to the loaner, move my son's car seat and stuff back into the F-350 and drive off. No more than 1 mile down the road and I clearly still hear it. There's also still a noise coming from the rear that I don't like which I had told them about. A squeaking sound only at very low speeds in both reverse and forward when not on the brakes.

So I turn right around and bring it back. Had the advisor listen to them again and I thought he was going to pull the, "I don't hear it sir" card, but he immediately said, yea I hear em both...clearly very disappointed. He wanted me to speak with the tech working on the truck too who was a very nice guy. Tech said he's going to have to go back to engineering and tell them their solution did nothing. He said the truck wouldn't do it cold, but as the truck got hotter the noise got louder and louder. I said is there any possibility this is normal? He said no, not at all cause otherwise I would just walk you on to the lot and show you it's normal on another truck, but I can't do that. He also seems to be very concerned about the rear end noise.

I have been very very understanding right from the get go and have not harassed them at all over this as we all know you get more with honey than you do with vinegar. But at this point I brought up the question of "buy back" and the service advisor said to be honest sir that's where I'm starting to lean. I said it's nothing against you because you've kept in the loop at all times and he continues to apologize for all the inconvenience, etc. I said, but I've been driving the loaner for over 3 weeks, and the truck I bought for 1 week. He said, I would feel exactly like you do right now. So he said to give him Monday to talk with engineering and if they don't get anywhere he's going to advise sales that they need to buy the truck back it should have never been certified. I like the truck, but not enough that I'm willing to take on a potential problem truck. I guess I will see what Monday brings. Sorry for the long post, but that's where we're at with this saga haha!
post #17 of 18 Old 06-24-2017, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Thanks for the update bud, I hope it all works out.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list
post #18 of 18 Old 09-09-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Soooo...I'm back haha! End to this story was they had my truck for a little over a month and all they could tell me was Ford engineering claims the noise is "normal diesel engine noise". I made sure to get something in writing on that because I did not want to be on the hook for it if it does turn out to be something. So fast forward to today and I'm dropping my truck off on Monday to my local dealer to do a water pump. I'm losing about 1 gallon of coolant a day, traced it right back to the primary pump. So I wanted to get people's opinions on if I should have them check out anything else while they are in there because I hate to keep losing the truck for stretches at a time. Truck has 62k mi on the clock. Also wondering if anyone thinks that noise which is still present may be a failing water pump bearing or something? At this point I don't have the time to bring it back to where I bought it from because it's 4 hours of driving. So I just told my local dealer, it is what it is...I have to get this truck back on the road as soon as possible. I'd rather have them tackle anything else that may become an issue now while they're in there though. Fingers crossed that the truck is not down too long this time. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode