6.7L Ford Powerstroke "Disaster Prevention Kit" - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2011-2016) General 6.7 Discussion

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7L Ford Powerstroke "Disaster Prevention Kit"

As one of those CP4 failures I am very interested in this kit and it definitely makes sense.

I got lucky and my Ford dealer ponied up a good penny when they missed a faulty valve that caused the CP4 failure the next day. Still cost me about $3k for repairs initial was $11k.

Edit: Does anyone here currently run one of these kits? I'm considering one but would love to hear others experience with this kit or another similar to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by PullingHome; 04-03-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-27-2018, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down Disaster Kit

I'm really curious about this... I had the disaster occur back in Oct 2017.... $9,000.00 repair.... had 150,000 miles on my truck... it's a damn shame that Ford allows this kind of crap to occur - pisses me off to no end.... I called Ford Motor Co and got nothing out of them, but registered a complaint, multiple times.. A buddy of mine had the same issue just 3 weeks ago while he was traveling... $9,000.00 at 158,000 miles.... and another buddy of mine has a 2015 and wants to do whatever it takes to keep this from happening to his... and I don't blame him!

So does anyone know anyone that has used this kit and particularly, does anyone know anyone that uses this kit and the pump failed?
post #13 of 17 Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I use Optilube pretty religiously primarily for the extra lubrication for the fuel pump. When I near the 150k mile point though, instead of doing the DPK, I'll probably just throw a 2015+ HPFP in there. Figure a brand new pump ought to buy me another 150k miles, plus give me some more power to go with my 2015+ turbo.

==

2012 F-350 Lariat CC SRW 4x4
Full weight loss, 2015+ turbo conversion
Leveling kit with 295/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 03-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Busaman View Post
Well crap, now I feel like I need to be worried.
Effects apparently less than 1/2 of 1% of the motors...you're most likely fine.
MrTommy likes this.

The Resurrection
post #15 of 17 Old 03-31-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Swapping hpfp yourself is not hard. You may need a gear puller or you can just unbolt the old hpfp and smack the old shaft and the gear will pop off. It's recommended you time the gear. You can reuse all the old hard fuel lines No problem. You'll need a new vacuum pump gasket. Best to unbolt the fan assembly and drop it, then unbolt the vacuum pump, and your there.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmpg View Post
Effects apparently less than 1/2 of 1% of the motors...you're most likely fine.
...with 115k on my 2014 is this something that should be of concern?

2014 F450 PLATINUM - 6.7 stock. Tow package, FX4 package, Weather Tec matts, Factory seat covers, Roll n Lock bed cover, sprayed on bed liner, Fox 2.0 I.F.P. adjustable shocks & steering stabilizer, S&B silicone body mounts, Titan 65 gallon XXL replacement tank, Dura Flap Customized Mud Flaps.....more to come
post #17 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
After talking to a couple shops and being told there are usually signs that you pump is starting to fail, I convinced myself that I didn't need one even though the PO put 158k on it w/o a fuel additive. MY 15+ have an improved CP4 and I use Stanadyne performance formual in every tank.
A few weeks ago while changing the fuel filter I noticed some shiny flakes in my fuel filter housing. Thinking I was facing a $10k repair bill, I can't express how stupid I felt for not spending the $250-$350 on a prevention kit.
I bought a CP4 bypass kit and installed it immediately. I found no shavings coming out of the pump during installation and believe what I found in my fuel filter some foil from the Stanadyne bottle tops. The shiny flakes in my fuel filter housing that I had previously found were non-ferous as they would not pick up with a magnet.
Turns out I did not have a pump failure, but I can't tell you how much I berated myself for not instaling the disaster prevention kit when I thought my pump was sending metal shavings through-out my injection system.
I would recommend it for the piece of mind. I feel a lot better having it installed.
I ordered a brand X kit off amazon for $250. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can read about the issue I had with it here https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...p4-bypass.html

96 F250, 2wd regular cab. bone stock, 235,000 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to broncobilly_69 For This Useful Post:
palmeris (09-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode