4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-20-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'11 F350 SRW ~Bumpy/Stiff Ride~ HELP!

Hey guys! My '11 F350 SRW has been a great truck for me, but the ride is getting slightly uncomfortable. I have 62k miles on it right now, and the ride is noticeably bouncier on some roads and of course on the stiff side being thats its a F350 when empty. Are my Rancho OEM shocks at the end of their life?

What can I do to get a smoother/better ride? Aftermarket Shocks? Not looking to lift it(It's kept in the garage and only have 3" to spare to get the truck in/out).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

H&S MinniMaxx
5" Flo-Pro
S&B Intake
Carli 2.5" Backcountry w/Full Leafs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Yea probably time for some new shocks. The stock Rancho shocks are a cellular gas type. Try a nitrogen gas pressurized shock as they tend to last longer. Although I don't have them on my truck yet, I've used Bilstein shocks in the past and have been happy with them.

2012 F-250 XLT, CC, SB, deleted with H&S tunes, 4" aFe exhaust, No Limit EGR delete kit, H&S CCV kit.
Pulls a 2014 Keystone Outback 301BQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-20-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
A lot of people love Fox shocks for their ride quality. I wish I threw fox on my truck. I put Bilstein 5100s in my truck and it's a world of difference over the "rancho" OEM. The OEM rancho is actually just a motorcraft Shock with the rancho name on it...lol. But the bilsteins made my ride a lot more controlled, less body roll, and smoother, more controlled ride overall. But fox commuter series shocks are hailed as a great ride, most say a lot better than the bilsteins. As far as back end bouncyness, part of that is because you have a 350 over a 250 and your leaf pack is stiffer and I think there's one more leaf. I've found on my truck having a small load in the back does wonders, after I put my toolbox in and a few tools in it tamed it down some, as well as airing down my tires some helped a lot. I'm running about 15-20 pounds less than max psi on the tires..this will help your tread wear in some cases and soften up some bumps.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list

Last edited by HLBeef; 12-20-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-21-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
New shocks will not provide a supple ride. You may notice better handling and less oscillation.

If you want a better ride, buy a F150.

2011 F250 Lariat FX4 CCSB
post #5 of 18 Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rancho shocks suck, think they put them in silverados as well. Going to replace mine this winter. But I will tell you an F250 or better will always ride like a brick in comparison to a 1/2 ton
post #6 of 18 Old 12-21-2015, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
It's not going to ride like a car, but it can be improved over what it is.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list
post #7 of 18 Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Are the Fox's a direct replacement to OEM?

Thanks for the input guys! Yes, I know I bit the bullet with the 350, It was a $300 difference when I bought it compared to a 250 and said why not. And the only other reason I got the 350 was because of the HydroBoost brakes.

H&S MinniMaxx
5" Flo-Pro
S&B Intake
Carli 2.5" Backcountry w/Full Leafs
post #8 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 03:45 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd suggest getting your mind to realize it's going to be trial and error with money being the root. Search Craigslist for local area people putting stuff up for sale. Searching here for people swapping out shocks and getting something cheaper than new. Several good recommendations already have been posted. Just remember your "butt-meter" is one of a kind.

F350 springs are not always rated at a different weight over an F250. I found a F250 locally on the lot with all the same coded springs as an F350 due to the factory ordered packages.

Tire pressure will play a difference as well. Unless you need them at the OEM specs you can run them a tad lower than the door sticker. Try them at 60 PSI cold. Ride for a bit so you can get them warmed up for the best feel. Adjust as needed. I try to use the 10% rule for my ride. Check PSI when cold, drive the truck at HWY speeds till they are warm. Check PSI again. You should see no more than a 10% increase in PSI. If the PSI doesn't change lower the PSI, if it increases more than 10% then you need to adjust the PSI when cold.

Just remember it's more than just shocks. Tires, suspension, and shocks will determine the ride.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyAssault For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (12-22-2015)
post #9 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 1214 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Off the shelf FOX 2.0 IFP shocks are going to be your best shock

I usually have them in stock and most people really like them over the Bilstein 5100. @DIGMAR
HeavyAssault likes this.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #10 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Off the shelf FOX 2.0 IFP shocks are going to be your best shock

I usually have them in stock and most people really like them over the Bilstein 5100. @DIGMAR
What Corey said... my "rancho's" we're toast at around 50-55K miles and the ride went to hell going down the same stretch of highway I've driven for the past 2 years. I can't speak first hand on the Bilsteins, but I went with the Fox 2.0s on the 4 corners and it was night and day from Rancho's. Rides a lot smoother and less felt road impact hitting potholes, bridge joints, etc on the highway. I did go with the Bilstein steer dampener to replace the factory one, mainly due to cost, and it's working out well.

But also like Heavy said, tire pressure makes a difference as well. I've been running Toyo AT II's for over a year and started them at about 68lbs front and 62lbs rear. over time playing around with different pressures, 62lbs front and 56lbs rear give me the best ride while still getting even wear on the tread.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2012 F250 Lariat CCSB SRW:
H&S XRT w/ Gearheads tunes, Edge CTS, 5" FLO PRO DP Back w/ Muffler
S&B CAI, EGR Block Off Plates, No Limit CCV
Retro HIDs, ProComp 2.5" Stage3, Carli Track Bar, BDS Radius Arms, Fox 2.0 IFPs
The Following User Says Thank You to DIGMAR For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (12-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode