1Likes
  • 1 Post By Turbo2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tune left over from previous owner?

I have a 2008 F250 6.4l that I recently purchased used. It failed emissions due to "Not being ready" which they explained that someone must have disconnected the battery recently. When I got home and looked at the inspection report it showed that it has been over 6,600 miles since the reset! In the glove box I found a owners manual for a H&S Mini Maxx tuner. Is it possible that they took out the tuner, but left a non-emissions tune on the truck? The truck appears to have all emissions controls, sensors, and equipment in tact but it has never shown up that it is doing a regen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Garage
That is likely whats happening. A ford dealer can reflash the ecu to fix it.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd take it back to the dealer you bought it from. Pretty sure it has to be able to get a sticker or it's on them. If there's a delete tune on that with all the emission stuff on, and who knows how long it's been like that, could have already damaged that stuff and would have to be replaced.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I would unplug the EGR valve and see if it throws a code. If it does not, DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE since the DPF is intact. Without going into regen, the DPF will clog very quickly and you will fry your turbo or even worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

844-487-2787

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #5 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies.
Dales Super Store likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dales Super Store View Post
I would unplug the EGR valve and see if it throws a code. If it does not, DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE since the DPF is intact. Without going into regen, the DPF will clog very quickly and you will fry your turbo or even worse.
Well it looks like I'm screwed. I unplugged the EGR and no service light. I had my son stand by the exhaust pipe and I revved it up a few times and it seems to still have plenty of exhaust flow so at least maybe there is no permanent damage yet.
So where do I start? Take it to Ford and have them tell me I'll have to re-mortgage my house to pay to get it fixed, or buy a tuner and go from there?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2020, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Long shot but worth a try - use a fish tape or some other flexible apparatus to poke up into the DPF from the tail pipe. It could have been hollowed out to appear stock but actually is just a straight pipe.

Does not solve the issue of knowing what tune you have but could at least give you more comfort to run the truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmunsell For This Useful Post:
Turbo2 (01-16-2020)
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Check your state’s smog laws. As said above, in most states the seller is responsible for the vehicle passing smog at sale time. Even if sold “as-is”. If so, take it to them and they can pay and send it to the dealer for a reflash and emission system repair. Maybe they will even cough up the tuner and then you can set back to stock for free before hand so they can determine what is going on.

Ross
2006 f-250 CCSB king ranch diesel 4x4. Stock w/ air bags, rancho 9000s, and coolant filter.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I bought a Bullydog tuner and installed it. The first thing that happened is it went into ReGen mode. Boy were all the people around and behind me mad. It was puking out blue, white, and black smoke for about 15 - 20 minutes. It took over a 40 mile drive on the highway to finally clear up. Now the "Check Air Filter" warning is on and when I checked, it didn't look very dirty so I'm not sure what is up with that.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: Since I've put the new tune in I have the feeling the previous owner or the dealer put in a tune that just simply blocked all codes from popping up and triggering the SES.
I put in a new air filter and reset it. But now I have a P2002 and P244A code that keeps showing up. How do I tell if the DPF needs replacing or if it's just the pressure sensor?
I also saw on the Bully Dog diagnostics that a cooling fan 2 error was present and an OBDII communication not finished error but my handheld scanner didn't even pick these 2 up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode