23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 buy back after issues

I bought a 08 F250 6.4 last month. It’s In great condition with 120k on her. However... it’s been into Ford 4 times in 32 days! I have only driven it 120 miles. The first time was the oil cooler. Covered under warranty. Then the day after I got it back the radiator blew! That too was replaced for free. Then back the day after I got it again as it was losing coolant! The tech didn’t tighten a clamp. Ugh... that too was covered. THEN, after 2 days, the wrench came back on. Back to Ford. Now they say the entire cooling system, every hose, clamp, wire and component needs to be replaced. I bought the truck from a Dodge dealership for 17k. They have already spent 7k in repairs. I saw the bills from Ford. Now this new fix will cost .... 11k! Damn! The good news is that I’m not responsible for the bill, the question for this group is this... Do I push to get it fixed? Understanding that now I would have a completely new cooling system, radiator, Egr, egr coolers, oil cooler etc. OR push for a different vehicle??? Also,I did purchase a 5 year 30,000 warranty that covers all the major know issues. So I have that going for me as well.

Last edited by Marc Magliano; 11-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 05:43 AM
Hate stupid people

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
well its a 6.4 so your almost guaranteed to fighting issues the remainder of your ownership.

probably should have done more research before buying a 6.4 or you'd know that its the worst diesel engine you could get in a truck
john galt, nine9six and SparkyF250 like this.

Illiana Strokers DICtator
EFI Live tuned 6.7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

1) I wasn’t asking for your insults 2) you never even provided your opinion

Last edited by Heavy_GD; Today at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Magliano View Post
2) you never even provided your opinion
He provided his opinion, you just didn't like it
john galt and nine9six like this.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
1) I wasn’t asking for your insults 2) you never even provided your opinion 3) clearly your a Chevy owning troll 🖕🏻
I understand where you're coming from. I also think he may have been trying to say IF you buy another truck, don't get another 6.4L. Your reply was still funny though, I needed the laugh this morning... thanks.

Since you have the warranty, go for the repairs, it will most likely cost you a lot more to get into another vehicle. Unless you go back to the Dodge dealer where you purchased the truck and see if they can get you into something without it costing you more money. Did they have anything else there you liked?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

844-487-2787

us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #6 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh trust me, all I can do is laugh at this time 🤣. I am actually heading over to the dealership now. Maybe it shouldn’t be a hard decision but it kinda is. I have read a lot of good about this truck IF these problems are addressed and most of the plagued issues will be new. To your point, it will cost much more to get into another diesel. The only real other option would be a F150. Which I have owned and enjoyed.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 07:56 AM
Hate stupid people

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
1) I wasn’t asking for your insults 2) you never even provided your opinion 3) clearly your a Chevy owning troll 🖕🏻
1. No insults, just trying to inform you of the most likely future outcome of 6.4 ownership, it’s very easy to find negative reviews on the 6.4 from the internet or any actual diesel performance/dealership. Nearly impossible to find anyone/shop that has faith in the 6.4

2. Every response in a forum is opinion

3. Your new here, I understand your “insult”. I do own a 6.2 but also 3 fords and my daily 6.7 Cummins. I guess I’ve been a troll since 2008 with 8,000 troll posts
But I identify as a dwarf

Illiana Strokers DICtator
EFI Live tuned 6.7

post #8 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I agree with him not insulting you, just generally warning you of possible problems. The 6.4s are a problem child. If you have the warranty I don’t see why you don’t push it. If they say no move into another truck or risk it with the 6.4. I daily And tow a 6.4 that has a lot of the earlier problems fixed with mine. It is expensive though and I keep savings back in case I have an issue Luckily I rarely run into a problem other than common ones that hit normal superdutys like exhaust, suspension, batteries, etc. I love my 6.4 but that doesn’t mean I’m not concerned about something failing. I got against most and say if you keep clean maintenance it will do you well. There isn’t a problem with pushing the dealership or warranty to replace the parts, hope for the best and if it doesn’t work out go from there. Cooling systems are key on these trucks to be kept up with. If emissions are intact it’s even more key with the egrs and dpf.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
It sounds like they are just wanting to throw parts at it. If they blamed the leak on a "loose clamp" after replacing the radiator, there are no "clamps" that one could leave loose on a 6.4 involved with the rad that would leak coolant. There's one spring clamp and two push on rad connections. They could have misspoke but it could be a sign that they don't know what is going on.

They may be sticking it to the warranty company to make some money with the rest of the repairs. Did they ever say what the wrench light is for or the actual cause of it? Or just it needs 11 grand worth of work to go away?

You may end up with a truck that is still a problem after all of the repairs regardless of who pays for them if they can't pinpoint the actual cause of the problems. Leaking radiators are very common and if not ran dry, won't cause any more problems.

Short response: Push for a different vehicle.

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3
2019 F350 CCSB 6.7 Lariat Sport

Last edited by ars5147; 11-15-2019 at 05:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ars5147 For This Useful Post:
comvet42 (Today)
post #10 of 27 Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
What was the exact code?
And was there any other issues with the cooling system aside from the wrench light coming on? Was it overheating?

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in